1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backups wont play on media player or win dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rsteele, Feb 14, 2004.

1. rsteele

rsteele Guest

I have used dvd shrink to backup several movies and all play on win dvd except Holes and Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Tried media player, wont play there either. TDK discs in TDK burner, burned with Roxio dvd creator....

2. rsteele

rsteele Guest

I forgot to say that all the discs play on a dedicated dvd player (panasonic)

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

rsteele,

Sounds to me like you are doing most excellently using Roxio - most of the group here has issues with Roxio anywhere near our PC's.

If you're looking for a better software program try Nero or RecordNow Max - both will require either, all of Roxio components turned off in msconfig or, the total uninstalling of Roxio. Using either of the above should get you closer to 100% satisfaction.

Truthfully, you have one of the best records with Roxio I’ve heard -

Welcome to the Neighborhood :))

Pete

4. rsteele

rsteele Guest

I've heard all the Roxio trashing and I just ignore it. I don't have any particular problem with it. What is at issue here, though, is a few of my backups will only play on a dedicated dvd machine and not win dvd or media player. I suspect issues with those programs and not Roxio.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You may well be right about WinDVD and WMP. It's a reason why so many here use PowerDVD :)

Trying a different player should be considered a serious option -

"P"

PS I didn't trash Roxio, I merely stated a fact - also why I put the word "try" there when I mentioned other burners - try not to be so defensive -

cheers,
    "P"

6. rsteele

rsteele Guest

Scuba, if you re-read my reply, you'll see that 1. I didn't accuse you of trashing anything, and 2. I'm not defending anything.

Anyway, I haven't heard of PowerDVD. Where can I get it?

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

and then...
    hehe , chill out rsteele mate as Pete is a valued member here at aD & he gave an 'opinion' based on many ppl's experinces with Roxio.
    I for one if asked by a newbie "What burning software do users suggest"? ... would reply Nero 6 Ultra , but would give RecordNow as an alternative too ;)

As to using Shrink and the back up not playing in WinDVD , that is fairly strange (altho hearing WMP does not isn't a big surprise).
    I personally have always used PowerDVD , but in earlier versions did used to sometimes experience there being no audio ... when burning said files w/ Nero (DVD-Video mode) the disc played fine with [bold]Audio[/bold] !!:)

peace

[bold]PowerDVD[/bold] :

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28