1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Boys 2---Very long Movie, Picture Quality Issues?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by ericbee, Dec 4, 2003.

1. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

In the past I have tried to stay away from burning movies that exceed 2 hours and instead just play the originals. However, I just bought Bad Boys 2 and it is a 2:27 long film. This will be the longest film to date that I compressed with dvd2one.

I am not posting for any reason other than to "talk" because I fully know what I am doing and plan on doing it. I am just curious to see how the finished copy will compare to the original in picture quality after such a huge amount of compression is applied to the movie.

Again, I have read that people compresses lord of the rings with no discernable loss in PQ but, I just cant beleive it. I will do it myself now and see how it turns out.

PS For anyone reading this that is somewhat of a neewbie, I have no discernable loss of PQ in any of the hundred movies I burned with DVD2One in the past but, I never tried one this long before.

2. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

A follow up for those interested in these types of things.

Decrypter took 11 minuted to rip the movie to my hard drive.

DVD2One took 15 minutes to compress the film.

Nero took 16 minutes to burn it to disc.

Now I have a question for the regulars. I use the default setting of 4472 when compressing my movies with DVD2One. How much bigger, if any, can I raise the size before encountering problems? I know this is probably more of an individual system answer but, I was wondering if on the average I could go to lets say 4500mb without having problems?

Question #2: What type of problem will I get? Will I get a Nero problem where the disc information is too large, will I have problems on playback using certain DVD players or both?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  3. Matador

Matador Regular member

IF the media is cheap then yes you will have problems in playback.But if not cheap then don't worrie about it.

IF you want to get it to 1 dvd then. I would of used DVD Shrink and remove the credits and the intro movie as well as subs,extras,and any other audio.That will help ur movie be @ a better quality.

IF you want a perfect Quality then just split it into 2 dvd.That way you can keep all the extras and stuff.

4. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

MATADOR: Using DVD2One I was able to and did remove all extras, subtitles and alternate soundtracks. As far as the credits are concerned, they are about 3 minutes long and removing them was not as much of an issue for me.

My question of what size to set DVD2One to is still unanswered. What is the largest size above 4472 that anyone has used with success?

I only use Ritek so my media is fine.

5. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

I have done Lord of the Rings 1 and 2 plus Gangs of New York and Godfather Part 2.

All look really sweet on my 28 inch TV. Pretty much flawless to me. Only plasma screen owners really notice the quality IMHO.

6. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

I happen to have a 42 inch plasma, a 50 inch plasma and a 100 inch DLP projector, so I can see a degradation in PQ if it exists.

7. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Some people have problems with 4472 setting and/or less. Ive never seen anyone here who used settings above 4472 and posted the results. Just a matter of system setup I would say.

cheezzzz_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    CloneDVD/AnyDVD
    Dvd2one/Nero6Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  8. Pstyle

Pstyle Member

ehh... is this movie protected in any other way than other dvds? Im usin dvdxcopy platinum... and it wont read the disc. Itll read it halfway thru and then just stop?
    Any other way i can do it?
    Any thought, comments, help would be appreciated.

9. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I just watched Bad Boyz II, back up copy using CloneDVD/AnyDvd (movie only) and it was perfect. I compared the original and the copy and I could hardly tell the difference watching it on a 32 inch Sony Wega tv.

cheezzzz_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    CloneDVD/AnyDVD
    Dvd2one/Nero6Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  10. numero1

numero1 Guest

I use dvdxcopy platinum and clone dvd, the result is good I don't use any other programs and I haven't encounter any problems with any of my backups the quality is good

11. imcville

imcville Member

Using DVD2One, I compress to 4400Mb each and every time, regardless of how long the film is. This is because I've experienced problems when burning right to the full capacity of cheaper DVD-R's.

The longest films I've backed up are Lord Of The Rings (Fellowship and Two Towers), and I didn't strip out any extras at all. Picture quality was blocky in places but I can live with that.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ericbee, dosent your DLP project up to more than 100" or is that what you have yours set at. I ahve my DLP set at 64" Widescreen since it is only about 4 feet from me when watching it. The fact that it is DLP or a projector with 1280x1024 (like mine) deosnt really matter. to help you improve your picture i recommend getting a scaler. Now if you get a good one around £400-£600, dont be tempted to scale the lines to more than 1000 or so. I tried it at 2000 just for fun, but it made the image "soft". Also worth while is a seperate Progressive scanning unit connected to your DVD player to keep the constant ratio of around 1000 at its max.

In answer to your first question, my guess is that you will notice a degraded picture, in fact, im surprised you havent noticed one with any of your past movies. Since DVD's and dual layered DVD's are so limited anyway and arent really designed for projectors or plasmas, the picture quality tends to be poor without the accessories i described. Any compression at all effects my back-ups. I would never compress anything more than 10% even using recode, which is an option to gain the best quality. You and i will just have to wait for Blue Laser technology to meet our demands.

13. Faceman

Faceman Member

ericbee:

I'm using a G4 mac with a pioner 105. I always set dvd2one to 4488 and have never had one problem. I've usd verbatim 2x, Ice 4x, printable Ritek 4x and purple branded Ritek 4x.

Using 4488 gives me a file that will fit onto any of the above discs.... I tried 4489 and that was too large, so I figure 4488 is the max. At least for my system, anyway.

hth,

face

14. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

So now I suppose the question is:

Even at 4488 is there really a difference in any way between 4472 and 4488 to warrant messing around with the settings?

I am aware that all "messing" is typing 3 numbers but, is the difference of 16mbs at all noticeable visually?

15. Faceman

Faceman Member

Don't know what the difference is, probably nothing really.

I'd just rther use up the whole disc, and get the maximum possible quality, than not to.

Some people report sticky etc on playback when they write to the edge of the disc... I've never experienced this once, on any of the various brands of discs i've used.

IMO you may as well use the extra 16mb as to waste it.

Face

16. Zerxez

Zerxez Member

I have a rather large investment in backup DVD's that have been compressed with DVD2ONE. Can anyone suggest what is the best TV for viewing them?
    I have been contemplating a 50" Samsung DLP, but have read a couple of reviews that complain that compression messes up the picture.
    Any help is appreciated.