1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad chip?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by hockeyfrk, Jun 12, 2004.

1. hockeyfrk

hockeyfrk Member

A friend of mine recently bought an Aladdin advance 64 (256k) mod chip. He soldered it in, booted up an Evox boot disc, and began to flash his BIOS with an X2 .06 BIOS for the 256k chip. His motherboard is version 1.0. When he started to flash while Evox was open, the flash went about 2/3 completetion and froze for about 5 minutes, and he eventually powered down, frying the modchip. Now I know that the chip is bad, but he did everything I did, with the same procedures I did, same chip and same exact BIOS and Dashboard as me, but it didn't flash. Could this have been a faulty chip to begin with? Now I know a lot about this stuff, but I had to ask my friend about it, who knows more about this stuff than me, and he said it was either a bad burn or a faulty chip. Either way, the chip is fried now. He burned it differently than I did. He used Sonic Record Now, and had trouble booting the Evox disc, and I used Stomp Record Now and created an ISO with Craxtion. Did my friend fry his chip because of this form of burning?

2. hockeyfrk

hockeyfrk Member

Well I decided to do a Hot swap. My friend and I both have the same chip, so all I need to change is the little BIOS box on the chip itself. However, this makes me nervous. This means I have to completely disassemble the xbox while the xbox is powered and running. Is there an easy way to do this, or maybe some tips I should know before I do this?