1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Disc?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Adouble11, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

I did a search and I'm almost positive that this has been discussed before, but the search option doesn't work very well. It gives you everything else but the thing your looking for.

Anyways, I would like to know what makes a disc bad. Does it fail when burning it, or does it just have bad quality like freezing and skipping?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

All of the above :) Although most media will burn if you have your firmware updated some brands just wont work with certain players. The freezing and skipping issues are the most likely things you will see with bad media, but beware because what is working good today may not in 6 moths from now. It never hurts to get quality media and the one manufacturer you can count on right now is Taiyo Yuden.

3. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

Ilike to get printable DVD's. Does this brand support this. I use printable versions of Ridata, I heard these were good.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

5. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

They are twice as expensive than the Ridata's. I can get 100pk at $35 at supermediastore.com. Is the quality really that much better to pay an extra $30?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well I don't usually believe the old saying "you get what you pay for" but in this instance it is 100% true!! Just look at all the bad experiace people are having Ritek on here lately. I used to like Ritek also but there quality has gone down hill in my opinion so I am sticking with TY's. If you are happy with the ritek then by all means don't let me stop you from getting them, but I haven't seen any bad write ups on TY's. :)

7. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

I've also heard a couple bad things. The main thing I noticed with mine is that they skip at the last 15 min. of the movie. I figured out how to fix that though by changing the max size of your disc to about 4.3 instead of 4.7 that way it doesn't copy to the edge and I think Ritek's edges of the discs were
    bad (dye) on average. But the movie is great besides that, also sometimes thought there will be some color bloches that come and go, but rarely. I'm all about quality for a good price, but $30 is alot more. I'll have to check into a little bit more.

thanks for your input though.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you don't want to spent that much I would go with the Prodisc at supermedia I have used those and they seem to be better than the Ritek IMO http://www.supermediastore.com/prodisc-8x-dvd-plus-r-white-inkjet-printable.html
    I have had nothing but good burns out of the 150 of those that I used. Some people don't like them because of what they read at digifaq, but I havent seen any one having problems with those in the forums? When I look at those disks they look perfect unlike the Ritek's I have.

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

try other websites too. Trust me, if you go with bad media you'll just be kicking yourself in the ass in the end.

10. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

So you think the Prodiscs are better than Ritek? I want from twice as much with the TY's to twice as cheap with the Prodiscs. Even if the Prodiscs are just as good as Ritek than I'm getting a better deal.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

IMO the Prodisc is much better than the Ritek..

The thing is with the Prodic is you are probably getting a second tier media, but you are sure this is usually what you get

With the Ritek you might get first tier media, but on the other hand you could get bottom of the cellar crap!!

So the odds are better that the Prodisc would be the better media..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  12. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

Hey, thanks for the input. I'll go get a couple more opinions and see what I can come up with. How often does media get outdated and how often should I search for better media? Also where can I find out peoples opinions on media because I don't want to ask the same question on here every month.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Awww don't worry about it just ask... Maybe a Mod will yell at ya, but you can ask for forgivness after, and media changes so often who know how often to check. Just 2 month ago everyone would have swore by the Ritek, but that isn't true anymore :-( unfortunatly these media companys just like any other company are trying to make the cheapest media possible. Lucky for most of us TY has continued to produce quality media!!

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'm not familiar with Prodisc, but I bought a huge batch of Ritek G04's and it must've been just before they started selling crap, cause all mine are great.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The G04's seem to be good its the newer G05's that are giving people problems..

16. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

I have both. 4X and 8X. One prints to the hub and one doesnt. I've been having a couple DVDR's that stop right in the middle of the movie when watching it- is this a result of a bad DVDR? If it's not the DVDR then what do I have to do to eliminate this problem?

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The Riteks have been causing people fits lately as I stated earlier..