1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad hard drive, want to copy old HDD to new HDD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by OmenNerd, Apr 30, 2011.

1. OmenNerd

OmenNerd Member

Hello,
    I have a Toshiba Satelltie A205-S5814 Laptop. I have gotten the Blue Screen saying there's a problem, etc.. Tried backing up, but it wouldn't let me, probably the hard drive I was backing it up too. Also have gotten a hard drive failure screen, please back up your system immediately.
    I use to be able to get into the computer, but then it would restart itself, then it would boot up and get to the windows screen and then continually restart itself until I held the power button. Now it won't do anything useful!!
    What I am trying to do and would like everyone's thought's on is this: I have my bad HDD and would like to transfer the whole thing if possible to a new HDD, including the OS. If that can't be done, then all I want to be able to do is remove all my files (pics, video's and such).
    This is what I was planning on getting: an external enclosure (Nexstar 3, 2.5", USB), a new HDD (Seagate: ST9750420AS 750GB Momentus Mobile Hard Drive- 750GB, 2.5",7200RPM, 16MB SATA), I plan on getting 2 new HDD and using one as a backup, so this won't happen again.
    Any thoughts or help would be awesome. If there is a better enclosure to get or a better HDD, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance for your reply's and help.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

puppy linux .. boot from cd .. take the entry level test .. mount both your hdd's (it will show them as partitions) .. show hidden for both.. copy/paste everything.. no winblows not starting or saying "file in use.. access denied"

3. OmenNerd

OmenNerd Member

Thx, I will give it a try and let you know!!