1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"bare bones" help

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by jerecho, Feb 11, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Asus motherboard wasn't a very good choice as Asus stuff is often unreliable (what was wrong with the board I specified?) but the rest is OK, assuming you went for the PSU I recommended - it's not visible in the picture and you haven't stated what you bought.

2. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I am baffled why you choose the ASUS as well. My ASUS P5N-D bought around Christmas of 08 didnt even last me to x-mas 09 so I couldnt agree more when Sam says there pron to reliability.

I noticed Sam recomended the Corsair XMS RAM and you bought Kingston Hyper-X. While Kingston doesnt make bad ram, the Corsair was a much better value as there higher quality, and cheaper.

The Beta-Evo case Sam recommended had storage for one more HDD, which could come in handy in the future, and looked to have all around better air flow. Also had more depth giving you more room to work with when upgrading your video card in the future.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately most people assume that all components are equal, and if they buy what looks nice, or what someone else built, it'll all be fine, whether or not it contradicts our advice. I don't take people ignoring what we say personally, but it is sometimes infuriating, especially if they later come back with problems.

4. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

This was a accidental post on my part. sorry

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  5. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I diddnt go through newegg. I just had a local company build it for me. I have 2 other computers with asus boards and have never had a problem with either of them.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and there is the problem with getting PCs built by shops, lower quality parts. What Power supply did they use? I dread to think...

7. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

650 watt. I picked all the parts out myself.
    I guess I was wrong.
    I like it though.

8. ugc

ugc Regular member

jerecho>

Changing the subject a little, but if your not storing any media on this computer, and just watching video streamed from your network, why didn't you buy a media player like the Tvix, or popcorn hour?

It would have been cheaper and easier to use.

9. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

A computer just gives me a ton more options I feel

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I didn't mean the wattage, I meant the brand. What brand PSU did they use.

11. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

@SAM, I dont take it personal, nor infuriating, just irritating.

@Jericho, ASUS used to be a reliable brand up until about 2 years ago. As for the PSU, wattage alone means nothing. If you got a junk 650 watt(which in terms of a quality PSU is MAJOR overkill for such a system) it may be out performed by a 300 watt psu of good quality like a Corsair. Plus you run the risk of throwing away the money you just spent as it could destroy your parts or worse yet, catch fire.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

actually it was closer to 4 years, basically any time before the core 2 series came out.

13. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

Antec earthwatts is the brand

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Reasonable units, they're not unreliable at least. Shame about the Asus board though, that could be problematic a few months down the line.

15. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

How can they stay in business with such crap stuff?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From what I gather, the quality of different batches is continuously varied. Some boards will always be good (rare), some boards will always be bad (more ommon), but most commonly, there are good and bad batches of boards. The uncertainty makes people dismiss claims of unreliability on the grounds of "oh, you just got unlucky with a bad one, it happens". With Asus, however, it happens more often than brands who do not skimp on build quality, such as MSI, Biostar and Gigabyte.