1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargain Buddy: Spyware

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by topppps, Apr 24, 2005.

1. topppps

topppps Member

I went to a web site, and Bargain Buddy and 10 other spyware programs automatically installed themselves, I tried Adaware, that didn't help. Niether did spyware doctor, what should I do guys? I'm tired of looking at this little dog on the right lower panel

2. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

Did you try goign manually to the Add/Remove Programs?

P.S. Use Mozilla Firefox! Its 1000000000 tiems better than Internet Explorer (I assume thats what you use because its a peice fo crap and lets spyware and adware install themselves.

P.P.S. Try Spybot - S & D

3. topppps

topppps Member

I was using Mozilla firefox, and manually removing the programs didn't work eithere

4. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

Then you most likely got the spyware from installing somethign,a nd not reading teh license agreement.

I'm at a loss to help you then.

If you've installed any questionable freeware or even shareware lately, you can try uninstalling those.

5. topppps

topppps Member

I havent installed anything in about 5 months, I know I got it from that website

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  6. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

Well, what website is it? and did you click 'Yes' on anythign taht pops up. Also, are you teh only one on this PC, or are there others, (e.g. Sisters, father, Spouse, etc.) taht coudl have accidentally done this?

7. little155

little155 Regular member

Go to Panda website or use PCpitstop. One of these should tell you what is wrong.
    Geo.

8. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Have you downloaded the latest security fixes from Microsoft/Windowsupdate?

Here are some legitmate and effective anti-spyware apps:

Microsoft AntiSpyware (free)

Webroot: Spyspweeper (not free - 30 day trial) - Thorough, but uses a lot of system resources...

CounterSpy (not free - GUI [graphical user interface]) looks similar to Microsoft AntiSpyware because before Microsoft bought Giant AntiSpyware --- it used some of its code and GUI...

Bazooka Scanner (free, harder and requires an internet connection for intructions on how to edit your registry, which could be dangerous if you don't know what your're doing...really effective

CWShredder - started by Merijn to combat the ever growing CoolWebSearch trojans/browser-hijackers...it was bought by Intermute, recently....(free)

Spyware Blaster - prevents Active-X based spyware from installing to your comp thru IE (free)

Spyware Guard - real time resident scanner that monitors changes to IE if your home page is changes and if BHOs (browser helper objects) are added without your consent....

Hijack This - developed by Merijn to look at common areas that spyware resides

I'm assuming you're using WinPatrol? It's quite handy, but if spyware tries to install, hijack, etc, it could barrage you with a lot of messages.

Here are the links to download:

Spysweeper:
    http://www.download.com/1200-2018-5136615.html

CounterSpy:
    http://www.download.com/1200-2018-5144215.html

Bazooka Scanner:
    http://www.download.com/Bazooka-Adware-and-Spyware-Scanner/3000-8022_4-10377953.html?tag=lst-0-9

Hijack This:
    http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html?tag=lst-0-10

Spyware Blaster:
    http://javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Spyware Guard:
    http://javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

CWSredder:
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

Microsoft AntiSpyware:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Beaware that if you downloaded a program that came with these spyware "components", you may not be able to use them anymore.

To protect your computer from incoming and outgoing data to and from your comp, use a firewall. Such as Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio...

Also, download and install anti-virus software to combat viruses, trojans, worms, etc. Some freebies: AntiVir XP, Avast!, and AVG 7.0 FREE...

Let us know how things turn out. If you need additional help, don't hesitate to ask us!

9. topppps

topppps Member

Tried spot bot search and destroy, didn't work, neither did spybot 3.3, adaware is also garbola, and spysweeper was useless, the only program that did it, was Microsoft Antispyware Beta 1, that is the best program, it took me so long to try it, I guess because most things made by Microsoft is garbage, the program was solid, but I still have spyware, I keep getting this annoying pop up called Aurora every 4 clicks, guys this is killing me please help

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  10. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Remember, after you have downloaded and installed the anti-spyware apps, you will need to update it. Also, you would have to "tweak" some settings since everyone's computer is different.

Have you tried Bazooka, CounterSpy, and Hijack This yet?

If you could post a log from hijack this, we could probably kill that little SOB easily...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

12. topppps

topppps Member

What do you do if Microsoft antispyware finds stuff,,,, you press remove it says it removed it, but it didn't do it,,,,? I know it didn't remove it because it finds it again

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  13. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Windows may have stored a copy of your "computer state" in its system restore folder. You could try enabling the option to make hidden files appear. Also, it may help to disable system restore [bold]temporarily[/bold]. Then run your anti-spyware apps, just remember to restore those settings afer you're done.

You may want to clean your TEMP folder(s) with unneccessary junk. Try using Crap Cleaner:

http://ccleaner.com/

14. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Actually, I think that Bargain Buddy will show up in Add/Remove Programs, in the Control Panel. If it is, uninstall it.

I think that I had it on my old computer, once, and if memory serves me well, it was there, and I just did a remove.

Oops. Just saw that you tried that. My bad.

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  15. stryker99

stryker99 Member

I have the same problem. After downloading Firefox I got the annoying pop-up Aurora. I uninstalled Firefox and still had the pop-up. I tracked it down to a file C:\windows\nail.exe. MS Antispyware can locate this file. It doesn't matter if you delete it manually or let MS Antispyway delete it, because it autmatically reinstlls itself!! You can literaly use MS Search, find the file, delete it, and within 5 seconds whatch it reappear! What I have done is create an empty or blank file renamed it "nail.exe" and saved it in c:\windows, which replaces the spyware file. Then everytime it looks to see if "nail.exe" is installed, it sees the file I created, not the spyware program. I still need to test and see if it is a long-term fix, but it is doing better than it was!

16. stryker99

stryker99 Member

It works! I just had to reboot after copying my blank "nail.exe" file over the spyware file in the C:\windows directory!! To create the blank file, copy any .ini file file to a temp directory, open it with Notepad or Word, delete everything in the file and resave it to your temp directory, then using Explorer, right click the file and remname it "file.exe." Then copy and paste it to c:\windows, then reboot! NO MORE AURORA POP-UPS!

I got this spyware from installing Firefox, and I uninstalled Firefox, before "fixing" this problem. If you still have Firefox installed, I don't know if this fix will still work.

"You get what you pay for!" Freeware Sucks!

17. topppps

topppps Member

OMG you have the same problem I do, that stupid aurora, is the most annoying pop up I've ever experienced I am seriously thinking about formatting the hd and starting over, I thought ms anti spyware would do it but it didn't I'm going to try what you suggested

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  18. topppps

topppps Member

where did you get the ini file? Cant find one

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  19. stryker99

stryker99 Member

I used the boot.ini file in the root directory (c:\boot.ini), but you can use any file you want. You can even save a blank Word document to a temp directory (C:\temp), then using Explorer, rename the Word .doc file as "nail.exe". You then copy and paste it into c:\windows and it will replace the spyware file ("nail.exe").

I made this "fix" this morning and have not had one pop-up from Audora all day!

20. topppps

topppps Member

oh it works!!! OMG it works!!! now all I need to do is get rid of registry cleaner popup