1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

basic questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by schomy420, Feb 4, 2003.

1. schomy420

schomy420 Member

Sorry i am going to be purchasing a dvd recorder soon and had a couple questions.

1) I have been reading in the forums about encoding and losing quality. I think i somewhat understand it. If i strip audio, menus, and special features and have the size of the dvd under 4.7 gb i would no have to encode the movie or audio for best picture/sound. am i correct in this or mistaken??

2) about how much time does it take to rip the movie onto the harddrive??

3) has anyone watched original movie and compared it to backup movie for picture/sound quality??

4) any suggestions on what dvd burner to purchase (i have been looking at the pioneer)

5) where are the best places to get dvdr's. also does quality of dvd-r make a difference of movie playback??

thank you very much

Joe S

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

hi there..
    here's some answers to the extent of my knowledge..

1) you need total file size to be under 4.36GB if not, you'll need to split the movie or transcode it and then remux it back.

2) it takes about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on your system. a full dvd to dvd rip of a dual layered film takes me about 6 and 1/2 hours, but others have said that it takes them 8 to 10 hours alone to transcode the video(for me about 4-5 hours; from my own exp, my athlon xp 2000+ cpu kills any P4 in transcoding times, not sure why though)

3. quality is noticeable on certain rips and lighting in the movie.. darks can get blotchy, but thats usually when your scalefactor is below 60% using rempeg2. sound is identical, transcoding only involves the video.

4. tough choice, i have an HP DVD200i Combo CD-R/RW and DVD+R/+RW drive. no complaints from me so far, only coasters i've burned are my own fault or nero's. I would probably buy the Sony DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW drive, its can burn everything, but i've heard about people have some probs with burning DVD+R with it.

5. i like ebay, just WATCH out for what people charge for shipping. quality of media can make a difference in whether it plays in a standalone dvd player. the better the media, the more compatible it is in most standalone players.

if ya need a nice detailed guide, feel free to drop by my site...
    http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420
    or its down,
    http://www.geocities.com/seamonkeyguides

drop me a note if you got any more ?s
    peace
    seamonkey420