1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basics for burning dvd to dvd and comp. config

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by amconfusd, Feb 10, 2005.

1. amconfusd

amconfusd Member

I am looking into buying a new computer (most likely a dell 8400). I really don't know much about computers and their different configurations. To copy a dvd to dvd will I need two dvd drives? I was going to get a 48 CD RW and a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability. Or will I need to get 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability to do so?..please help out and any tips for other customizations (processing, graphics, video card) of the computer would be much appreciated!

2. pfh

pfh Guest

Get the dvd-rom drive with dvd burner. The dvd burner will also handle your cd burning. Of course one only really needs a dvd burner for dvd to dvd cause you typically rip a dvd to HD first anyways then burn to blank disc. By having a dvd-rom drive you can save wear-n-tear on the r/w drive. You'd use the rom drive for all your read functions like ripping/installing etc and cd reading. As far as system specs.- P4 for sure (I think Dell only uses Intel),1 gig ram if you can afford, dedicated video card with 128/256 mem, on board sound is suffecient now-a-days. Thats the basics for a good start unless you might have the need for anolog input like tv,vcr,etc. but that can be addressed later.

3. amconfusd

amconfusd Member

Thanks pfh that really helps!

4. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

mIne has both but it is not required. iT is not a good idea to copy on the fly from one drive to the other. iF you are going to play DVDs on the PC, the ROM will save some wear and tear on the writer.
    mInes a 8300.
    dEll is ok if you do not have the cash or knowledge to build your own. tHey have some minor draw backs. tHe 3.8 GHz would be sweet but the 3.2 is what I have and it is great.
    for 20 bucks is a good choice. iT is alwasys good to have plenty of RAM!

gO with at least the 160 GB hard drive ( mine 320 GB RAID 0).
    wHy you would pay $20 more for a CD drive? mAybe some one else can tell me.

iF you get the RAID, for some stuipd reason you have to get a floppy (Dell is to cheap to make a CD boot disc is my guess).

gOt cash go with the 17" or 19" digital LCD monitor (19" here, soooo nice).

vIdeo card, this in my opinion is where Dell sucks!!
    tHe options they have are just ok.

i Went with the 5.1 and the cheap Dell speakers.

lAst I went with the 3 year warranty, you just spent 2 grand on a PC, good insurance.

bUy nothing else from Dell if it is not required (software etc)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  5. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

bY the way you should have started this thread in one of the PC hardware forums. oNe of those nasty old mods will most likley be along to move it.

wEll this makes my 100th post, should be a member any day now. tHat is if the smart assed remark does not get me booted by the wise, kindly and of course always right mods. (i Say as I bend over to smooch some arse)

6. amconfusd

amconfusd Member

Thanks Noqoilpi..

I definitely couldn't build my own.
    I was thinking about going with the 250GB2 Data Security RAID 1 (2 x 250GB SATA HDDs) for my hard drive..
    From what I understand it's good for backing up all your data..if something is better than this drive let me know because I am not set on any specs yet and don't really know much about them..It looks like it's going to be around $2K for the comp.

7. amconfusd

amconfusd Member

good call..i'm heading to the pc hardware forums..just joined so still learning the site as well...thanks again

8. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

sAve the cash and get an external hard drive. RAID 1 just gives you two copies of the same data. tHat is how mine came from Dell but I thought about it and switch it to RAID 0. wHich of course the Dell techs told me I couldnt do.

9. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

dO not run off so quick. iF you start a new thread over ther asking the same question it will be a double post which is just as bad. lEave it here and it will all work out. tHe same poeple go from forum to forum.

10. amconfusd

amconfusd Member

so you suggest going with a bigger raid 0 hd and then buying an external one? what external hd do u recommend and where could I get it?

11. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

iF you get two 250GB hard drives on RAID 1 you have 250GB of hard drive space, two 160GB HDD on RAID 0 gives you 320GB of space. Plus it is faster because your CPU can switch back and forth. iT is the difference between a one way street and a four lane highway. iN my view a backup drive is not needed. yUo are not likely to have any program that you can not reload if you have trouble. i Just use a a 1GB USB flash drive to backup data I can not replace.

i Buy alot from Newegg but just Google(froogle) what you are looking for.

12. jebdrup

jebdrup Member

I bought a DELL 8400 w/ both the 16x DVD and 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability. I've had the computer for a couple months and now I want to burn DVD and can not get it to work. I first bought Fujifilm DVD-R disk and I get an error that it can not read the disk so ok, I look on the back of the box and it says it does not write/record DVD+RW.

I then go to Best Buy and I tell the kid in the computer department what happen and he told me that the Memorex DVD+R would work but when I try the disk it starts to record then ejects the disk and I get an error message that to insert a new disk and try again.

Sorry, such a long post but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

13. jebdrup

jebdrup Member

14. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

it sound more like a problem with the way you are trying to right than your writer.
    Need more info on what you were trying to copy and the software involved.