1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle Field 2 and high details !

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Hameedo, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

well ..I have built a new PC from 6 months ago ...I've spend a lot of money in it ...(or that what I think !! )
    I will buy battle field 2 ...bu I hate to buy a game that doesn't run on high details ...will I be able to do that !
    if anyone has tried BF2 with my specification ..or near it.. on high details ..please tell me ...
    my specification is my signature !

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes of Cource you can...You should be able to Run it at 1024+768 resolution with all of the Quality settings on High....

I Have the Same Card and a PC running just a Little Faster than yours But with Double the Ram and I can Play all of the Newer Games with the Quality Cranked Up all the Way....I Play a Lot of FarCry and Half Life 2 and Doom III and Can Play all of them at 1024+768 with the Quality/Detail Settings on High or Ultra High and these Games are Just as Graphicly Intence or more so than BattleField 2...

I know they Recomend a 256mb Vid Card for Battlefield 2 but with the 6600GT the Memory might only be 128mb but it Runs at 1000mhz which is faster than allmost any other Card out there, even faster memory than the 6800GT ......

Cheers

3. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

hey Minion ....may be I could thank you for your infromation ...but this tome I couldn't ...when I turned on all quality High in BF2 the game was a lot more choppy ...simply rally bad !...

but when turning on medium sttings ..it's ok ...very good ..I can even turn 4X antialiasing (AA) and 4X anisotrophic filtering (AF) !
    without having any effect on the performance !..

I was surprised because I don't have any problems with any of this games you mentioned ...I play Doom III at high and res 1280x1024

I can play HL2 at 1024x768 with 4X AA and 4X AF
    also FarCRY...1024x768 4X AA....8X AF
    all smoothly !

I wonder why specially this game ...and I also wonder if you have overclocked your card so as to get those results in BF2

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Try Turning everything all the way up but do not enable AA or AF because it is AA and AF that really impact your Cards Performance....

Also the Differance in Visuals is barely Noticeable with the AA and AF disabled, well at least with me they aren"t noticeable....

Also you should be able to Overclock your Card depending on the Model...

With my XFX 6600GT the standard Clock speeds are 500mhz Core Clock and 1000mhz Memory Clock (Most are 450/900) and I can Clock it to 550mhz Core Clock and 1150 memory Clock which is a 10% Core overclock and a 15% Memory Overclock so you should be able to gain up to 10% in Performance gains by overclocking it.....

Cheers

5. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

hey Minion ...after too many experiments ...I over clocked the card ..graphic core was set to 550 and Memory was set to 1150 "as you mentioned " ....I was able to run the game at 1024 X 768...with all settings set to high except for LIGHTNING..DYNAMIC LIGHTS and DYNAMIC SHADOWES ...Antialiasing 4X ..ansiotrophic 8X....

well...guess what ...in the first 3 minutes of any map the game becomes very choppy ...may be beacuse the small amount of system memory..I have only 512 MB (recommended 1.00 GB)...the game doesn't fully loaded ...or may be because the small amount of vedio memory required for the high trextures (only 128MB)...any way ..after those 3 minutes ..I gain an excellent performance ..and a very good smooth playing ...that happenes only when I overclocked the card ...so whenever I want to play BF2 I have to overclock !...
    but no problem I'll get used of that !
    only one thing that's freaking me out ...will this operation affect the health of the card ..at the long term ?...I mean every time I play BF2 ..I do that...will it affect my card badly ...
    I hope not !
    thank you for you patience !

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Overclocking can effect the long term Life of your video card if when overclocking the temperature gets Dangerously high but the 6600GT has a very High Heat tollerance (145c) so heat should have less effect on this Card than with other cards with a Lower Heat tollerance...

You could also put a Good Cooler on your Card which will allow you to Over clock the card a Bit more and Help keep it cooler.....

Cheers

7. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

but how could I know my card temperature ?

do you have a software that can show me that ?...

Cheers !!

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

There is a temperature monitor in the Driver settings for the 6600GT...

You can see them here:

[​IMG]

9. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

Hello minion ...I have tried to get that temperature monitor in my driver ...but I found nothing ...

I installed the latest nvidia driver for my OS "windows XP MEDIA CENTER" Nvidia 72.14 ...also I found nothing !....
    I heard that I might have to upgrade the BIOS of 6600GT but this must be at my own risk !!...

I gave up...after this I decided not to overclock my card any more ...I wanted to keep it save as long as possible ...
    last week I tried to play Counter Strike source ...it was my firsttime to play it..! I have been playing half life 2 for nearly 9 months ...and I didn't even think about playing CS:sourse which already is installed with HL2!

I ran the game ..1024X768 all high ...expect what ?...the game is so bad ..really choppy ..alot of hitches ...I wondered what's going on ?..the card was capable of running HL2 well ..why especially this game ...?!!

I was just starting to damn my 6600gt ...then i decided to give it one last chance ...I crancked the resolution up to 1280X1024 ..guess what ?....nothing happened !!....no hitches ..the game is smooth ..even I could turn on 2X Aniti Aliasing and 4X AF ..without affecting the performance a bit !!...

at those settings I ran Stress vedio test ...I got 73.3 frame/second
    I lowered the resolution to 1024X768 again and ran the test ..I got 90 Frame/second ...but the game is still very choppy !

so what is going on ?....I didn't care !..as long as it's running smoothly at 1280...it doesn't matter !

but when I did this in Battle Field 2 ..I got the same result !
    at 1280X960 2X AA 4X AF ...no dynamic shadowes or lights ..low lightning ..the rest of settings is high "textures..terrains..effects..geometries ..etc" all this were high ..and without overclocking ...the game ran smoother than the previous settings: (1024X768 4X AA 4X AF no dunamic lights or shadowes.. low lightning all the rest are set to high ..overclocked to 550/1140)
    I can say with full confidence that it was alot more better than the previous settings ...I know that the game is still choppy at the first 3 minutes ...but this time it's less choppy ...and I think that's out of my low RAM (512 only )...that's a great result ! really !...and the important thing is "without overclocking"

I decided to get another two pieces of 256 DDR400 to ge a better performance ...but this matter still confusing me !...could you find an explanation for it !

cheers ,

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

I can not tell you why you are haveing Choppyness at lower resolutions but I can tell you that enableing AA and AF will greatly Hinder Performance...I can Play all the Games I have at the Highest quality settings but with AA and AF disabled and everything Plays Smooth but as soon as I enable AA or AF even at 1x I get a dramatic drop In Frame Rates but do not Notice any Image Quality improvement so i never enable AA and AF unless I am playing a Game that I know My card can handle with AA and AF.....

Also Increaseing your Ram will Help with Gameing, I have 2x512mb=1024mb In Dual Chanell Mode (Got 1024mb of Dual chanell Samsung DDR 400 Ram on E-Bay for $70) and Have No problems with any of my Games....

Good Luck

11. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

hello minion ...

have you ever tried playing the single player Demo of FEAR ...
    they say it's a great game ....but also has a high end graphicial system ....

now the game is already in stores ...I intend to get it ...I wonder if you played this game ...how could you play it ...I mean is 6600Gt capable of handling this hard game well ...or ? (I am scared to know the answer !!) because may be this will determine how this card will worth when the next generation of games are released (like HALF LIFE AFTERMATH...or need for speed MOST WANTED or even QUAKE 4)

cheers ,

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Nope I never Tried it or even heard of It but the ^^00GT should be able to handle most games even if you have to Play at Lower resolution or without AA or AF enabled.....

Cheers

13. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

I don't want to be rude ...but can I ask you why do you hate to play FEAR ?

is it because of the intensive violence in it ?
    or because it's not worth to play ?

have a nice day

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Who said they hated the Game Fear??

15. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

16. Hameedo

Hameedo Guest

hey Minion :
    it's been a long time ...don't you think !!

I am here to ask you ...did you play call of duty 2...don't tell me you didn"t hear about it !

I just wanted to know how 6600Gt will handle this game ...I am planning to pershuase it very soon

have a nice day !

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have never Played it so i wouldn"t know But I"m sure there is some Info on there Web Site saying what type of Card you need to play the Game....

Cheers