1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD RB Beta released! - now at version 0.37.08 (April 23rd, 2011)

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Sophocles, what brand of read only bd ODD did you buy?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have two drives. A Lite-On OEM which I paid $119 for and an LG combo HD DVD and BD burner. I'm building a second quad core system dedicate to encoding so I grabbed a second drive.

Lite-On has another BD reader that goes for $89 but its BD read speed is only 4X vs the others 6X. That can be a factor in playback of high bitrate backups.

Edit: Forgot the link.:p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106277

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. bryston

bryston Regular member

Question, BDs are encoded in Dolby true HD and DTS HD.
    In the BD RB dvd-9 disc, how does a standard dvd player decode these audio tracts correctly ?

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

...gm

hello Jo. ;)

edit: missed the answer on that baby.. ROFL. :p I never would have guessed that a DVD5 or DVD9 would be read as a BD on a BD DVD player.... man this is pretty cool....

NOW to add... see my next post in this series. :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Stickied

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good idea LOCO this is the future

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

A standard DVD player isn't going to do anything with these discs, they are going to be in BD format.

8. creaper1

creaper1 Member

You can use ConvertXtoDVD. It converts BR to dvd in about an hour. The quality is great also. Just use TsRemux or TsMuxerGUI first and you are set.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Greeny thank you for waiting;P

BD RB converts all of the current surround sound audio tracks to AC3 448Kpbs which should be compatible with any BD playback unit, and PC's with quality BD playback software.

The idea of doing backups with BD RB is to create a Blu-Ray disc that can be recorded to standard DVD single and dual layer media, but will playback as a Blu-Ray movie in a Blu-Ray player. The type of disc is not as important as the structure on the disc itself.

Since Loco has stickied this I've borrowed some information from jdobbs on setup

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, had overlooked stickying this before, nice one Loco.
    Cheers Soph, i was pondering the audio side of things, it's making a lot more sense now.

/contemplates purchase of AnyDVD and a BD reader drive, but experimenting with BD ripping will have to wait until i find a job. Am looking forward to trying out BD Rebuilder, i don't ever get excited about programs but after running DVD Rebuilder for quite a while (and still being in awe of the output it and HC Encoder produces) it'll be nice to see what BD Rebuilder has to offer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Sophocles what determines you using a blank DVD-5 SL compared to using a DVD-9 DL to backup a blu-ray movie?

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Creaky, loco just beat you to it. I wouldn't have thought that this was a sticky since it was last minute post before going to sleep.

The best gauge for measuring disc size is really the length of a movie which tells you what the total frames are. I've found that movies that fall in the 2 hour range do well on a single layer disc which is always good news since they are about one eighth the cost of a dual layer disc. I've had success with movies backed up to single layer disc that were 2 hours and 10 minutes in length, and not visual artifacts.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes thanks for the sticky. ;)

@Sophy.... :p I told you I should have waited... :D

This is interesting stuff... I'll wait for some time as I'm not entering into the BD arena yet... For 2 reasons... 1)Can't afford a stand alone BD player; 2)Can't afford a BD DVD internal reader either.... lol. :D

....gm

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

GM probably an external blu-ray ODD will be the way to go, I'm going to look into one

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Greeny the wait was over.:D

All that you need to get started is a cheap reader, you know along the lines of the cheap PC parts you recommend. LMAO

If you get one of these and a copy of AnyDVD HD then you will have all that you need.

Note that I was not being mean! Hmm! Mean!! Green!! Greeny!! Meany!! On second thought by that logic it's all your fault.:p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106273

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh I saw that from another post. ;) It seems like a good drive even tho the reviews are crap. ;) I should resend the statement of NOT affording another drive. lol. I'm trying to get some other stuff right now and that's sucking all me cash away from puters for now. :D

....gm

add: Oh I know you "meant" nothing by it but I was wrong and don't mind admitting, fixing, or changing something to make it 'right'. :p

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Greeny you can always spend your money to get something to shoot stuff with later!:p

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh I could but I'm afraid that the incoming regime will make it un-affordable for us normal people to buy anything that shoots stuff. :D

sorry for the OT... ;)

Sets back and learns more about this BD stuff. :O

...gm

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A quick word. If anyone runs into a bug that they feel is a flaw in BD RB please report it. Don't be the kid in the back of a class too afraid to raise their hands. Reported bugs makes it better for us all.

20. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

jdobbs is a longstanding member here soph, perhaps if this thread takes off you could put a bug in his ear.