1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD RB Beta released! - now at version 0.37.08 (April 23rd, 2011)

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

BD RB is probably having an issue communicating with X.264 encoder. This could be an issue with software versions in your setup. Be certain to only use those versions that are recommended by jdobbs. A change in version of ffdshow, matroska splitter, or avisynth could cause issues. I've added links to the appropriate versions at the top of the first post in this thread.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, so far I've done about 15 backups, all flawless, and 2 backups with problems. First Pearl Harbor, the picture froze in the second or third chapter to the end of the movie but the audio played all the way through. I'm hoping the newest version of BD-RB will take care of that as that's one of the problems that's been addressed, I'll know tomorrow as it's running tonite.

Second one is much more puzzling. John Carpenter's "The Thing". First time I did it, it played perfectly on the PC w/audio, but when I burned it to disc there was no audio on movie but audio in all special features, previews, etc. I then tried movie only option and got no audio on PC at all when played back, so I didn't burn it. Tried again thinking maybe there was something askew in coverting DTS to AC3, so I checked "do not covert DTS" and "do not reencode AC3" options and got no audio at all when played back on PC so again I didn't burn to disc. Went back to backing entire DVD with DTS and AC3 reencode and again everything played perfectly on the PC so I burned it to disc and again audio on everything but movie. On the PC audio shows up on "display", on the disc it shows no audio when "display" is punched so I know it's not the player but I tried it in 3 others and a PS3 with same results. It wouldn't play at all in the PS3 but that's not unusual as it happens quite frequently, but in the Sony, Panasonic, and the Sylvania it played in all 3 with the exact same results.

Do you think the problem might lie in Image Burn? I also have Copy to Dvd but I haven't looked to see if it will burn these files, I know it will burn DL files though. Maybe there's a setting in Image Burn that could fix the problem, or it might be in BD-RB but it worked in Power Dvd 9 on the PC. I'm really stumped at this point. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any input. BigO

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think Imburn is responsible. I'll try and get the movie and see if my results are similar to yours. What type of disc are you backing up too?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hi Soph, I've been using Verbatim DL and I tried Ridata DL the second time. Also my Pearl Harbor froze again near the beginning of the movie with audio playing all the way through so I didn't bother to burn that one, did that once before and wasted a disc. Kinda strange, huh? Thanx for replying. BigO

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Soph, I just thought of something. I had the exact same problem w/the original Planet of the Apes as I did w/The Thing, but when I did it in movie only mode using the pick a file option it worked perfectly. I had to use that option because there is a documentary file longer than the movie, so BD-RB automatically picks it instead of the movie file. I wouldn't think that would make a difference on the final product but the backup itself had the exact same problems as The Thing until I redid it. However The Thing worked better in full backup mode because audio did play on Power Dvd 9 , compared to no audio at all in movie only mode. The whole thing is puzzling, I know my setup is right because of all the other successes I've had, that's why I thought it had to be the burn software. I might try Copy to Dvd after I hear about your results. Do you have any suggestions on some other burn software like Nero for instance that might work? Thanx, BigO

BTW, I went ahead and posted these 3 in the failed backup section. If I left out any pertinent info, let me know and I'll correct it. :>)

6. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I have a question. I am backing up my Wall E BD to a 25 gig disc. Once this is done, I also want to burn it to a DVD9 disc for the kids to use. If I save all the files in the "Working" folder after the 25 gig disc encode, will BD RD need to re encode/shrink again or will it see the files in the working folder and use them to save time on the encoding for the dvd9 encode?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

One of the things that makes trying to create backup software for Blu-Ray movies is that there doesn't seem to be one standard for the format. Some Blu-Ray movies are encoded in MPEG2 instead of H.264, and the interactive menus use Java ME. Some people have chosen to re-encode to AVCHD compliant backups for their failed attempts with success since BD players also play AVCHD. That might be an alternative for you to consider. The difference between AVCDHD and BD is quite small since AVCHD was built out of BD specifications.

I trust that you will be as thorough as possible or least to where it is sensible without becoming over involved.

Yes it will have to be completely reencoded. As to whether or not it will involve less time, I can't say since I do everything just once, but I doubt that any time will be saved.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, you read my mind Soph, that was going to be my next question. Am I that transparent? Must be all those debates we had in the old days when DVD was as new and unknown as Blu-ray is now. I'll try that and let ya know the results. Appreciate the input. BigO

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Ah-hum (clears throat), ah no?

The thing that really brings me back are those 3 hour plus re-encodes of LOR III. When I did my first BD backup on a fast dual core Intel conroe system and it took around 7 hours I knew that it was time to do a new build. Now with two really fast Quad systems the BD re-encodes on each one is between 3.5 to 4.25 hours depending on the movie. Or in short, right back where we started with DVDs. LOL

10. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I have 2 questions:

1) The Wall E BD just finished encoding and I was left with 3 folders instead of 2: Folder(ANY) Folder(BMVD) and Folder(Certificate). Normally we just burn the BMVD & Certificates folders. Should I just ignore the "ANY" Folder that was created? I opened up the (ANY) folder and it contained several .CSS and Certificate files. I did a test and I converted just the BMVD & Cert folders to ISO and mounted it with VCD and it played back good with PowerDVD on my pc. Since I want the backup to be compliant with most/all BD players should I have included the extra "ANY" folder as well?

2) I read in another guide that before you burn the BMVD & Cert folder to disc you needed to use avchd patcher to patch some of the index files to make it more compatible with avchd players. Is this correct? should I indlude this step before burning the file to a BD25 or DVD5 disc?

Your imput is greatly appreciated.

11. redice

redice Regular member

Sophocles

Is BD-RB the best program to use to backup blu-ray disc?

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ANY folder? A CSS file involve HTML. Did the movie contain some online interactive features or something? Did you check the original ripped folder and make comparisons?

Code:
    s BD-RB the best program to use to backup blu-ray disc?[quote]

What do you mean by best? The final quality is determined by the encoder and bitrate. There are other methods of backing up BD, but they tend to be more complicated. A signature point of all jdobbs backup applications is that in the end they also keep working menus. Right now this is a beta app and should be viewed as such.

If you are looking at other alternative then you can look at MeGui and Ripbot64.

13. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I cant make a comparison because when I use anyDVD HD I rip it into ISO not folder Structure. Should I not be doing it that way?

14. redice

redice Regular member

ok but what i mean by best is that's is BD-RB the best program to use to get the best ending results. Which blu-ray backup program do you use the most?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

When reencoding a movie never rip image ISO always choose file or DVD Hard drive. You can still check inside an ISO by mounting it and re ripping it from image.

The quality is not affected by different methods since they all use X.264 to do the work (encoding). The difference is in the choices available to different methods. The less automated a method is the more choices that's available but also the more knowledge required to use them. If you want to set your own bitrates and other parameters then MeGui is the best choice. If you want to convert from HD DVD to BD then I prefer to use Ripbot64. If you just want to make backups, keep it simple, and have the choice to hold onto menu's and extra content then BD RB is the best hope for future backups. In time jdobbs will add some more advanced features but for now he is keeping it all simple for beta testing. If you use DVD-RB then you know that there is no other packaged backup method for DVDs that offers so many choices including choice of encoder.

16. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks and that explains a lot. do you have a link to Ripbot64? also i take it that all of the BR programs take about the same amount of time to create a backup.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Just do a search and it will popup. A bit of advice is that Ripbot is a lot slower to use and more complicated to setup than BD RB. It can take 20 to 30 minutes just for muxing, and then you choose your settings such as format, bitrate, targat size, pixel height and width, audio track, and others. Its benefit to me is that it does a great job at converting HD DVD to Blu-Ray.

18. rounder00

rounder00 Member

I'm having a problem with BD-Rebuilder. I've ripped a blu-ray movie to my HDD with AnyDVD HD, followed the steps to run BD-RB and I keep getting the following encoding error:

-----------------------
    [14:44:24] BD Rebuilder v0.24.02 (beta)
    - Source: I_AM_LEGEND_NA
    - Input BD size: 16.24 GB
    - Approximate total content: [01:43:54.269]
    - Target BD size: 7.72 GB
    - MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
    [14:44:24] PHASE ONE, Encoding
    - [14:44:24] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00006]
    - [15:09:20] Reencoding: VID_00006 (1 of 1)
    - Encode failed. Retrying.
    - Encode failed. Retrying.
    - Reached retry limit. Aborting.
    [15:10:13] - Failed video encode, aborted

Any ideas?

19. redice

redice Regular member

Ok thanks for the heads up on Ripbot. Is that the only program that will convert Hd dvd to blu-ray or it just the best one to use for that?

20. rounder00

rounder00 Member

Anyone?