1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD RB Beta released! - now at version 0.37.08 (April 23rd, 2011)

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Dec 26, 2008.

1. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Either mux to m2ts using tsMuxeR, then reprocess through tsremux to Blu-ray. Or input your recoded video (must be m2ts) into tsremux, and the THD track directly from the BD rip into tsremux (with your encode). Either way you need to use tsremux to get your BD output for THD.

EDIT:

I think the 6-7% rule applies when we use an h264, AC3 or DTS stream for a DVD5 or 9... I mean when we agreed on the rule that's all we were encoding to.

Here is a comparison of raw audio from The Dark Knight. The first shows the TrueHD track, then muxed to M2TS alone. Notice the 1GB increase in size, ~33% of an increase. The second comparison is the same TrueHD track converted to PCM, then that PCM track in M2TS alone. Notice the increase in size is not nearly as much, around a 7% increase.

Also, this audio track has a bit depth of 16 bits... that's a huge PCM track!

TrueHD Comparison

[​IMG]

PCM Comparison

[​IMG]

Conclusion; I'm pretty sure the m2ts overhead depends on content and is not a fixed amount.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

For a Beta this is a very good & easy program to use.I backed up Babylon A.D. & really impressed with the results for this to be a beta.But im still going to try this program out with a very good PQ Blu-Ray because Babylon A.D. Blu-Ray didn't have the Best PQ.Also Sophocles do you know if there going to be audio upgrades to BD-RD like AC-3 640 over AC-3 448 ? Thxs.

3. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

odin24, Fair enough...

Which application did you use for the muxing? As we know TrueHD muxing with tsMuxeR is questionable, and may not provide accurate testing in regards to size and overheads.

I haven't really done much with TrueHD up until now. I was already aware of using tsRemux for TrueHD. However, with The Dark Knight it does not seem to work. Are you saying that method with tsRemux worked with The Dark Knight for you?

Because, it will not work for me. There are folks over at Doom9 having the same problem.

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I used tsMuxeR, but tried tsremux for a better apples-to-apples comparison. We're thinking on the same wavelength... I tried remuxing using the BD m2ts (totally bypassing tsMuxeR), tsremux would not finish the remux, however my best attempt made it to about 75%, the m2ts file size at that point was 1.8GB

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sorry for a late reply but my real job kept me busy, and out work connection is filters AD's forum out. I can almost guarantee HD and AC-3 640 since the latter is my preferred audio bitrate, although in a pinch I can take 448.

Ryu

I've been reading your attempt at backing up a 2:32 movie with HD audio. I would be interested in hearing about the outcome. You could always mount and play it back from your hard drive.

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I have also been busy so I haven't had much time to dedicate towards this but I have been unsuccessful so far. Sonic Scenarist (commercial BD authoring software) rejected the TrueHD track also.

In regards to playing from my hard drive, my PC is connected directly to my Home Theater as it is designed for complete Media Center functionality. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre (media player) allows you to navigate to the Blu-ray folders on your hard drive and play it as if it were a disc. I would also like to note that this media player seems to be the only one tested to decode HD audio 100% correctly.

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

News about Arcsoft TMT

8. david89

david89 Guest

so when you re-encode to dvd-5 size does it do it in 720p 1280x720 or is it 1080p i think if it did 720p might be better because have more bitrate for video depending on how long your movie or whatever is if not that would be great option for the furture like a selecter for 1080p or 720p?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

david89

The best thing to do is experiment, get a feel for it, and then decide what's best for you.

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Painful but worth it.

Just completed Apocalypto last night.

Encoded from mounted ISO on HDD to DVD-9 (movie only)

11 Hours 46 Mins in total.

The quality again though is what I was hoping for, and was worth the wait.

Loaded it up on another OS (XP Pro) same as on Vista, but keep getting source not in BD format, not sure if its a setup or program issue, as said I loaded it in the same order and with the same settings. Maybe I've just found something that prefers Vista of XP for a change.

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Install Toshiba's UDF2.5 driver on your XP machine, maybe that'll help.

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Will give that a try later.

Thanks for the info.

Will post the update when I see what the result is.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Reencoding Apocalypto again, now at 12%
    Just realised that I selected english language (which only gave directors comments audio)
    Should have selected mayan language :)
    Never mind, must pay more attention to what it is I'm working on in future.

14. odin24

odin24 Regular member

You should not need to reencode, just demux/convert the Mayan track, remux with your initial encode... unless the Mayan track will put your disc size just over the limit.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I don’t have a clue how to do that.
    I’m now at 50% reencoding, so will at least get over the issue if I let it run a few more hours, but would still like to learn how to do what you’ve suggested.
    Looks like I need to learn some more tricks to take my encoding abilities to the new level.
    Any pointers you can give on what tools I need to be using would be appreciated, and should speed up the learning curve.

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

First of all, what is the source? BD rip, mkv, m2ts? Did you remember to include subtitles? For demuxing subs and or audio I strongly suggest eac3to... command line approach. We'll use tsMuxeR to remux your original encode plus the new Mayan audio along with the subtitles.

Once that is done you might need to patch the CLPI file (very easy to do) plus we'll make this very sweet by automatically enabling subtitles, you'll need BDEdit for that... D/L it here.

All of this is very easy to do... but first I need to know what form the source is in to help.

BTW, what is your BD player?

@ Sophocles, is there an option in BD-RB to automatically enable subtitles?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Code:
    @ Sophocles, is there an option in BD-RB to automatically enable subtitles?

If we're discussing user selectable subtitles for different languages then no since they are a menu selectable item, but if they're subtitles that are an actual part of the original stream then they should be encoded with the movie.

I think jdobbs is working on allowing one to keep the menu to allow sound track and subtitle selection without all the extras but that will be a while.

If I've misunderstood the question then ignore this. LOL

18. odin24

odin24 Regular member

No... you're sorta on track. In BigDK's case, he's working on Apocalypto, he want's the Mayan audio track, so he'll need the English subtitle track, which is not coded into the video stream.

I know it is possible to enable a muxed subtitles stream to automatically play using BDEdit, I was just wondering if this is possible in BD-RB, I just had a look myself... I don't think it is possible.... yet.

EDIT: A menu is not needed to keep user selectable subs, these can be activated/deactivated using the remote's subtitle button, or the PS3's onscreen menu.

I have processed maybe two (of the many) BDs that had forced subs that were not hardcoded. Obviously the ability to retain subs is a must, this being for foreign movies, and the ability to enable the subtitle stream automaticlly would be nice too.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not in a movie only re-encode for now because you will still need the option to select or de-select subtitles and that requires a menu.

20. odin24

odin24 Regular member

You do not need a menu to have subs, I have tested this on the PS3 and Sony BDP350. Just mux your 3 streams, to enable/disable subs just use the subtitle button on the remote. To have the subtitles on immediately it is just a matter of editing the "movieobject.bdmv" file in the BD structure, really it only take about a minute.