1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD-ROM drive only plays DVDs - No Music CDs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sargar, Feb 21, 2012.

1. sargar

sargar Member

Have an Asus laptop K70IC with a Slimtype DS4E1S SCSI CD Rom device. Problem is, it only recognizes and plays DVDs and Blue Ray, No factory Music CDs. It will play a program disc but no music discs. It used to play music CDs but sometime recently it stopped. Says does not detect a disc,insert a disc, but trying various discs, no music CDs recognized or play. I downloaded and installed the newest firmware from Asus, but still the same.
    As the DVDs play, it seems like a software issue has occured. Have begun uninstalling CD/DVD software but so far haven't hit upon a solution. Also tried Win7 codec pack= no change. Tried K-lite codec pak=still no fix.
    Any suggestions, ideas?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried a system restore to before the problem started?

3. sargar

sargar Member

Thanks for the reminder. I was hoping some uninstall would do it and/or a clean boot but no it didn't. Even though it will mean a lot of reloading of programs, it seems like the next thing to try.

4. ddp

system restore is different from system recovery. goto "accessories" in "all programs" then "system tools" were you will see system restore. select earlier time not make a restore point.

5. roperdoug

roperdoug Member

What OS are you running. Go to your Device Manager and right click on the DVD/CD Rom to and locate properties and look at the settings. See if the Digital CD Audio..etc box is checked.

6. sargar

sargar Member

OS is Win7. Went to Device Mgr and under properties there was no boxes or Digital CD audio. Could this be somewhere else?

7. sargar

sargar Member

So far have not found a solution to this. I have uninstalled anything to do with audio playback including Windows media center, and the BD ROM drive.
    It still plays all DVD and Blue Ray, all original program discs as well. It does NOT play factory audio CD discs or home made backup program discs.
    I am suspicious of something to do with DRM management. However I am not sure where to find anything to do with DRM.
    In particular within the registry where I think something was changed/added/corrupted to do with DRM.
    When I put a music cd in the drive, I hear the beginning sound of it loading but it suddenly stops, which is why I think that when it recognizes the disc it stops loading due to DRM. I can't be sure but I wonder.
    Any suggestions on how to check this issue.

8. roperdoug

roperdoug Member

I have Windows 7 also. I went back and didn't see it. I'll do a little more research. Sorry

9. sargar

sargar Member

My latest update is the following:

Used Windows Restore to a much earlier date when things worked, and still no change.

I remembered that I had a portable DVD/CD player for computers and plugged it in and tested all format discs and all played fine.

I assume, but correct me if I am wrong, that the portable player is using the same software that is in the computer and therefore, given the fact that it played everything, it now looks like the drive itself in the computer is somehow broken and won't play CDs.

This is, of course incredibly odd, as it will recognize some of my original factory program discs. No muisc and no CD-R or CD-RW

I have no other ideas.

10. roperdoug

roperdoug Member

I'm at work with a pc that is still Windows XP. I'm not sure if it is the same on Windows 7. Go to start, Control Panel, find something that has to do with Sound and Audio, Check all the tabs especially the Audio and Hardware. Make sure your Audio Device is correct and settings is right then go over to Hardware and click on the DVD/CD device. Click on Properties for that DVD/CD device and then properties again. See if there is any kind of statement that has to do with Digital Audio is checked. You might want to run Troubleshoot.

11. roperdoug

roperdoug Member

I foudn this on Microsoft Website:

a) Right-click the speaker icon in the notification area, which is located on the
    right side of the taskbar, and select Playback Devices or Recording Devices.

b) After the Sound window appears, select Playback. Next, selectS peakers and click Properties.

c) After the Properties window appears, click Advanced

d) Then uncheck the box labeled Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.

e) Click OK and Apply.

12. sargar

sargar Member

Another good test, thanks. Nothing has changed and I am now sure it is hardware. I borrowed an outboard DVD drive and put it into the computer and all discs are recognized, so that would mean that the software in the computer is working fine but the hardware optitcal drive is broken in some way.
    Will replace it now.

Thanks for helping.

13. roperdoug

roperdoug Member

Before you do that, buy one of those DVD disk player cleaner. Wouldn't hurt. I've taken on of those things apart and there is a lot of firmware involved. The firmware built into the DVD/CD Rom determines what it reads and what it does with it. Something must had to happened to the firmware. Either hardware wise or software.I don't know if the firemare can be updated but with all the time and effort you have already tried
    and the fact that DVD/CD players are so much cheaper now, you couldn't go wrong with purchasing and installing a new DVD/CD Rom. Make sure you can return it if is doesn't help. Perhaps you can find one from another unit to try before you do that. Connecting an external DVD/CD player is entirely difference than an internal DVD/CD Rom as far as the motherboard is concerned.

14. sargar

sargar Member

FYI: Did the firmware update with Asus tech on the line. Will try a cleaner but I think this drive is toast and will have to be replaced. If I had been more suspicious, when it started to act up 6 months ago, I should have done something but in that time never used the disc drive till now. It has always been an issue with just CDs which is a different laser inside than the DVD laser.

15. sargar

sargar Member

In fact Asus agreed after getting the drive back that it was defective. Replaced by them, no questions asked.
    A few things that were learned. There are 2 lasers, one for DVD and one for CD. It is easy for the CD to not play and the DVD to play (as happened to me). Easiest way to check out the software was to hook up an outboard dvd/cd drive and see how it works (mine worked fine). A lot of the advice I received was good for being sure it was nothing stupid. Checked device mgr and deleted the drive and rebooted, etc., etc. Even did the regedit (hi & low filter edit) In the end it is not easy to sort out hardware trouble from software. I was lucky to have an extra portable drive to check.

16. ddp

at least you got it resolved.

17. sargar

sargar Member

I appreciated everyones input and always glad Afterdawn exists for many bits of advice over the last few years.