1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDXL Discs & Reader/Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by AutoGKUser, Dec 16, 2016.

1. AutoGKUser

AutoGKUser Newbie

I hope this is the correct place for this, despite it saying, "No ripping/backup questions here"; this topic overlaps that in the sense that I am not using a backup programme to backup automatically; rather, that I require external hardware which I intend to use, and call it a backup, done manually...

I have a 2TB WD Elements external HDD. Recently, in anger, which also means very stupidly, I unplugged it from its USB slot when I was not supposed to, which caused it to not be recognised by Windows. (I'm on XP SP2 at the moment, but please don't be distracted by that.) I did CHKDSK /R on it the other day, and it took about 2 days to complete - but at least it completed. Today, I was using it, and then I had to go out so I put my computer (Samsung laptop, Intel Core i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40 GHZ, 1.20 GHZ, 2.90 GB RAM - and I think the CPU has hyper-threading because it shows 4 cores but there are only 2) into hibernate, as I always do. I came home and started it up again and it decided to tell me the external drive couldn't write all the data to its MFT and that the data had been lost. I ran CHKDSK (without any switches) on it again and it told me there were some bad sectors again... I couldn't remove the hardware safely because it was still in use, allegedly. I shutdown Windows and unplugged it, then rebooted, logged in, and re-connected it. The same problem as a couple of days ago occured, with XP telling me it wasn't formatted - that's when I did CHKDSK without any switches on it... I ran CHKDSK /R again, which was another 2 days of waste. I promise I did learn from the recent punishment!! :-(

So now I have decided that I want to purchase some BDXL discs with a BDXL reader and writer, but I am a bit confused with them. From what little I have learned, BD players can't (or just won't) read BDXL discs, so I need a proper compatible one. I am in the UK, by the way - and that's where any UK members come in to help me, I hope.

I came across these 2:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BD-RE-Triple-Layer-Bluray-Printable/dp/B00G5RVT5W
    http://www.buffalo-asia.com/forhome/optical_drive/blu-ray

I haven't looked at the second one yet because I got confused already. I have further searched and seen some on Amazon but they're either not in-stock, or are blu-ray disc readers and everything-else burners, or are blue-ray disc burners but the reviews/ratings are negative/low. Of course, I don't want to waste money merely risking buying something ignorantly which might or might not work.

I had a look in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides and searched for "BDXL" but it didn't show any results.

So after all of that, please help.

Thanks.

P.S. I intend to buy another computer with a newer OS on it soon. XP is my backup OS and so I can play games. My being on XP is not my point of making this thread.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. AutoGKUser

AutoGKUser Newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I did read a bit about it, and after that I decided I wanted to buy a BD burner/reader, but I might buy a BD burner/reader with incompatible BDXL discs - that's what I need help with, to make sure I don't waste money on incompatible things. I also read that, while the capacity can be as much as 128 GB, as you say, it is more probable that the maximum capacity would be 100 GB... Of course, we want more MB for less money. Is there any brands/websites you or others could recommend which are BDXL burners and readers in one, preferably, with compatible BDXL discs?

XP because I know how to use it! I tried installing Windows 8 (which is what I had before) back onto my laptop but it didn't want to install. I noticed that when I had it before it decided to stop working, part of the OS was on a separate partition, which just makes things difficult, instead of keeping things simple. It's a Samsung laptop, by the way, if that makes any difference. I tried reinstalling it because I'd done so with XP many times, but it just didn't want to work, so I went back to dangerous and unsupported XP.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for BDXL burners-and-readers in one with compatible BDXL discs, if anyone could. I think it was on Amazon which said a burner was either not compatible, or was compatible only, with certain discs. The manufacturers/designers/whoever like to make things confusing so I waste money on something which won't work...