1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be aware of the new Pioneer 109 DVR

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by djboogie, Feb 26, 2005.

1. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Thought I would add this.
    Its become apparant that the New Pioneer DVR, the 109 model (or A09) has issues with DVD-R media, I tested this and found that indeed it does.
    The problems arent as apparant when making movies on dvd-r, BUT if you are thinking of XBOX backups to dvd-r, then dont use this burner until more firmware upgrades are available. I tried 4 media brands of DVD-R, these brands made perfect backups with my Pioneer 106, BUT would not work when burned with the 109 (I used a Samsung XBOX drive to test)
    I also found that , although media used IS an issue with XBOX burned media, ALSO there is an issue with what burner has been used to create the disc.
    To test another theory. I burned Velocity DVD+R discs with my Pioneer 106, and the same game backup I made with my NEC 2500. The results were, the backup played perfect in my Samsung Drive when burned with the NEC, but would not play when burned with the Pioneer.
    Be aware of these issues when selecting burners and media types.

2. sosotiit

sosotiit Member

Hi you are right. For the Xbox there is an issue when using pioneer 109 with certain program (nero). It is rather well documented by now.
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=351736&st=90
    For me the 109 did not work with nero 6.6.0.1 or 6.6.0.8 (tested with both firmware 1.09 and 1.17).
    After last test with 6.6.0.8 and Fw 1.17, I reinstall my 106 and worked first try.

But recordmax worked like a charm.
    It will give me a chance to get reacquainted with my recordmax 4.60 and the PX engine. I put the patch, rebooted and first shot on the reinstalled 109 was good.

The PXengine is really amazing, a bit sad that they are not as goof managing the feature and commercial side.
    Anyway, Recordmax saved me again

rgds, soso

3. MDCOIN

MDCOIN Member

DJBoggie is so right on this, I've been lucky enough to have the NEC ND-2500a, I've tried various media brands (Arita, Velocity, Memorex, newegg samples.. all +R's) and have not had a single issue yet..

I'm very pleased..

4. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

hi sososiit, yea Ive always used recordow, I tried itwith the pxengine 507, but still could not get the ritek g05 to boot on my sammy, with the 106 they boot first time. I also have a stack of velocity dvd+r (8x)
    burn on the 109, they wont work in my sammy (yet they do on the other drives)
    move on to a NEC 3520A with the 1.25 firmware upgrade. (Auto bitsetting) Seems anything I burn with this baby after the firmware update , works on my sammy! +r included.
    hurrah for bitsetting!!
    ......shame the 109 doesnt suppport it!
    maybe future firmware updates may improve the -r media burns.