1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEASTIAL of a computer.. HELP

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Binkys, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Binkys

Binkys Member

Alright guys, I've come across some money and I've had a mediocre computer as long as I can remember.. being pretty computer savvy; I want to build a monster.. I'm seriously worried about cooling.. and fk <pardon my language> dell xps.. too expensive for what you can build at a lower price.

The specs
    assuming the cooling's right.. < > - (what i hope to oc it to)

Processor:

Intel core 2 duo 6850: 3ghz, <oc'd 3.8ghz-4.0>

Ram:

OCZ Reaper HPC 4x 1 gig 800mhz <oc'd 1066>

and i'm a little worried about the timing.

HDD:

Western Dig. Caviar. 500g sata

Graphics:

x2 BFG 8800 768MB ultras @ 2220MHz each <the heat scares me>

Motherboard:

EVGA: NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI

Case: for size purposes

Apevia X-Jupiter: excellent ventilation and circulation

4 base 120mm fans

22.25" x 8.25" x 21.5" (D x W x H).

Okay, so this is where i need the computer experts.... what types of watercooling and or heatsinks <graphics and processor> would you recommend in my situation?

any help at all is appreciated.

2. Binkys

Binkys Member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

heh, well your attitude's certainly good, self build certainly is the way to go!
    CPU: Very fast, depends what you want to do. As a gamer, the E6850 is a superb CPU, if you do any graphics and video design, or wish to keep the CPU/PC for quite some time, you may wish to consider a quad core CPU, namely a Q6600.
    RAM: Go with 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers. That stuff flies, and is superb for overclocking.
    HDDs: Fine, I use them
    GPUs: A little overkill. You do realise a pair of overclocked 8800GTS 512MB cards will perform pretty much identically, for half the cost?
    Motherboard: High calibre, certainly.
    Case: A full tower is good, but Apevia cases are usually pretty mediocre from a build quality standpoint. I'd recommend going with something like a Thermaltake Armor, NZXT Zero or Gigabyte 3D Aurora.

As far as cooling goes, I'm quite partial to Thermalright stuff. Without wishing to sound like a fanboy, I've had great experience with their products, pushing unbelievable temps for the low noise level.
    An Ultra 120Extreme cooler for the CPU, and two HR-03 coolers for the GPUs (make sure you get the right version for the GPUs you buy) will see you with great temperatures, especially if combined with nexus case fans. This lot can be purchased from http://www.ncixus.com
    Newegg seem to be a bit dry on top notch cooling solutions.

4. Binkys

Binkys Member

Hey! thanks alot for the reply, i'll look into the thermalright. ive heard of them.. but ive never personally worked with them.

ive also thought of going for cheaper cards, though i could oc these <in the future, no need to now> and they'd last me a hell of a long time. im trying not to settle :) lol, ive always had to in the past, im finally treating myself to a BEAST.

as far as quadcore, ive read alot of reviews and right now it looks like duos are still pushing it harder and faster.. though itll be a few months before i actually get the parts.. im not finished researching the final build.. so it could still go either way.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're not getting the parts for a while, wait until the 8000 series Penryn CPUs come out...