1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beaware of tiscali broadband

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by gruel, Dec 15, 2003.

1. gruel

gruel Member

hi all
    ive been with tiscali now for over 6 months, i pay £27 a mounth for adsl broadband with a speed of 512kbps, in the 6 months ive had nothing near 512kbps im lucky if i get half that, in the first mounth i rang them loads of times and of course the only number you get is a premium rate number!!
    i sent an email saying i want out of the 12month contract, no reply but my speeds did get better, slightly.
    ive just checked my speed yet again, wow 44kbps with the band with place, 42kbps with MacAffe.
    why the fusk am i paying £27 a month for this crap, i must be a right mug, 12 month contract, yeh they got me right by the balls.
    if anybodys got any sugestions how i can get out of this bullshit broandband money theving crap bollox ticali then please help.
    because i dont want to pay more money on premium phone calls so they can fix my net speed when i pay them £27 a month already.
    ps HAPPY CHRISTMASS

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  2. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

sorry they have got you there i have freeserve broadband and it is also annoying some times when downloads go just as slow as old inernet now that is bad

3. damo_red

damo_red Member

blueyonder broadband has the same problem aswell it has its good and bad days.

4. cleft

cleft Member

If you want to pay the money, you get the service. It is a hard way to learn about contracts though. Once you sign a contract, unless you want to go to court and prove they are not living up to their end of the bargain, then you are stuck. It will be cheaper, most likely to pay them for the 12 months than to go to court.

The initial price you pay isn't remembered as long as the service you got from what you bought. That goes for most of life and not just internet service.

Best of wishes with your delimma...

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Look on the positive side......your over 6 months already so you have not got long left......

Spend the time wisely and look for a better service, then when the contract is up for renewal, you can have the pleasure of telling them to [bold]stick it where the sun don't shine[/bold] and go with someone else.....LOL

Just my philosophy in life, afterall, you have paid for a service that in your opinion sucks.........no way of getting out of the contract.....so do the next best thing....go with their MAIN COMPETITOR.........[bold]and let them know[/bold]

As for me I am just on the standard modem 56k......suits me and doesn't cost me a packet........

Have fun..........
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I use 1MBit Blueyonder and have no problems , as long as I have queued files & the p2p or whatever has sources then I usually d/l flat out.
    I sometimes use multiple p2p to achieve maximum bandwidth usage , for example Overnet & BitTorrent running at the same time.

7. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Tiscali = spyware ^_^

8. herbsman

hehehe

AOL = Capatilist W@nkers ;-)

9. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

gruel if your problem aint fixed, then try this it will void 99% of contracts I have been in

you are paying for a service

512kbps

they are supplying you with 44kbps ......so there for you are simply paying for a service that you are not recieving. State simple things like how about I pay you £2.70 a month as that is a tenth of the speed I am paying for thats a tenth of what I am paying you

capeche

but be respectable but stern I got out of bt dial up in september 2002 by stating the simple fact

service works both ways I am willing to pay for what it states on the contract or they are not fulfilling there part of the deal

you miss a payment damm you will get a red letter the next month

hope it helps

DaOsT

10. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I have 1mb from NTL usually pretty good email is crap
    though off more than it's on i use usenet more than anything and get my full band width all the time no worries

11. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

Doofy have 1024 to and its an AWESOME service to Me personally got 3 networked up ere and anywat at its peak can pull at 140kbps so no complaints ...........hoping to get upto 2048 early next month that will test em~heh~

DaOsT

12. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

As far as i am aware NTL fraudband have no plans on going higher than 1mb just as well really with there
    download caps. I just wish they would make up there minds as to what the download cap is

13. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

no ideas with NTL I use blueyonder n they already have it would give you the link but guess what its down LMFAO.......typical.......so all you gotta do is type blueyonder into google uk n bobs ya uncle yas rockin n rollin just follow blue yonder n ya there but it costs 55 quid a month for 2048 pretty steep I think but hey if only a few complain We get no were

DaOsT

14. herbsman

15. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Since you have broadband, im assuming adsl is always on, you could start transfering an excessive ammount of data to piss off your isp, if they get annoyed enough, if you use gigs of bandwidth per day, they might terminate your contract early...I use a cable modem here in Texas run by a company owned by aol/timewarner, and a friend of mine, with the same service, made some enemies with t3 lines, so they packed nuked him to the tune of like 20 gigs over the course of about 2 days, he got a letter from his isp threating to cut off service...guess they thought he was a pirate or something.

16. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

After checking it out looks like i am stuck with
    NTL fraudband nothing else available in my area i apparently have a download cap of 1 gig a day so thats not too bad really i have regularly gone over this and they havent complained yet.

17. hello123

hello123 Member

hello there.....

I too have Tiscali braodband *shiver* and i have the same ****ing problem. It is a never constant speed and some nights is just shit poor.

I desperatly want out and was wondering if u can buy out the rest of the contract? I have a few months left i think

18. 4Sharing

4Sharing Member

hi everyone. it's my first time on a forum so apologies for any breach of the usual protocol.
    i've been using tiscali UK for 3 months and have been having similar problems to most of you. when i phoned to ask why i was having a 56k like service instead of the bband one i am paying for i was told that i have been dling too much and had been put on 'Lower Priority'! I was then patronizingly told that i had dled such amount of bytes on such date and such more next day and so on! I wonder if this kind of monitoring and 'lowering' of priorities is actually legal...
    Also i read yesterday on the papers that they will soon start prosecuting p2p users in europe and was wondering if anyone has any opinion on what to do, and what's the future of p2p sharing.many thanks

19. mrocooper

mrocooper Member

I do not think that complaining on a bulletin board about one of the largest ISP's is the best way of resolving a speed problem on your broadband. you are obvuously using the service to its max. Tiscali supply 512k broadband at £24.99 pm now so you have every reason to force them to only charge you the same as others buying the same product. There is also the contention issues so check who else is on the same bt line in your area. You would do better to check with bt to see if they can install more capacity in the exchange or simply reduce the contention on the line.
    best of luck

20. 4Sharing

4Sharing Member

hi again.
    as to the last msg: i am not complaining about my bband speed here. I have done that before to Tiscali itself and, as with some other users mentioned above, with not much effect. I have also written to the UK eyewatcher and still waiting for a reply.
    Tiscali obviously doesn't care about customers once they've got us on a contract. Also, not by coincidence, they have a mp3 dl pay service which may be a reason for monitoring their users.
    I was simply wondering if anyone also had the same reply as i have: I still find it surprising that they actually tell you on the phone that they lower your speed priority. If Mrocooper thinks that's ok then mb i am at the wrong forum...