1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

before i get a gc,i wanna find out about how to backup and burn the games etc

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by 97bullock, Feb 10, 2005.

1. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

ok,so having read the threads on this forum and finding out that the gamecube can now be modded (yay!)im gonna get one.before i do though,i would like to find out a few things.

1)how do i copy to mini dvds?can they be copied in a pc?
    2)from reading other threads ive come to the conclusion that it is impossible to backup your original?
    3)if so,how do i get the games to put on the minidvd in the first place?!do i have to download em?and if q2 is correct,how did the ones on the net get there if gc games cant be backed up?

thx for any help:)

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Also note that there isn't a BIOS for the Viper chip yet that supports the Version C Gamecubes. You'll have to find an older unit that has both the analog and digital A/V out ports on the back.

3. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

ok.thanks!

what about burning etc as above?

4. Lazycus

Lazycus Member

This is [bold]NOT[/bold] correct! Most of the Gamecubes with a version C board (DOL-101 with no digital A/V port)
    have a GC version code of '48' which was the primary focus of Cobra bios v0.4. While there seems to be a much higher success rate of booting backups with a variety of DVD media on older cubes, several people with DOL-101s are having great success.

As for a primer on Gamecube modding check the first thread in this forum with a wealth of info from long ago to present day. Also visit www.ps2ownz.com, www.maxconsole.com, etc. Do some work and research.

5. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

ok.thanx 4 the help!

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I made a GC Game backup using CloneCD (no joke)

Here's proof:

[​IMG]

7. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

ok.so how did you do that.or you just havin me on?

while i appreciate the help so far,i still dont know how to put games on disks!do i somehow use normal dvd-rs after taking the gc apart to fit one in?or do i use mini dvd-rs?if so,how do i get the data on them?

8. 5000

5000 Member

ok, to copy to the mini dvds, all u do is buy a dvd-/+R (mini) put it in your dvd writer and burn the image for the game you have onto the cd using nero or something similar.

to get the image you must download it off the internet somewhere... you may or may not want to look into torents. just a suggestion.

to get an image of a game you must use the broadband adapter/phantasy star online 1 & 2 hack to send it to your computer... its best just to download the games off the internet.

i've had pretty good success with the whole viper setup but make sure you can solder or know someone you can because the soldering is a pain in the ass to do right.

keep looking around the forums here, you will probably find what your looking for.

9. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Well the burning process is pretty easy. With my files, all I would have to do go into CloneCD and use "Write from Imagefile" or open any burning program like Nero, Alcohol 120, or DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD file (just like you would burn the .cue files when dealing with .bin images)

Oh, and I got those files by using CloneCD. It's an excellent program. It will take a while for it to read it though (took me about 3 1/2 hours)

10. prkl

prkl Guest

Do you seriously mean you backed up an original gc game with only your computer? Are you sure you didn't backup a backup?

11. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

oh,ok.i just wasnt sure if you needed a custom writer or not.i guess thats what the dip in the dvd writer tray is for.to snugly fit a mini dvd in.i think i will go for torrents rather than bother with the whole method of makin an image.wont be a problem as i will just want backups of originals that im gonna buy anyway.so ill just download backups of the originals i get and wont have to bother with the whole fantasy star thing.

thanx guys!

12. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I followed this guide http://gamesource.groups.yahoo.com/group/xskorpionserver/messages/1

A guy came here and posted it, and at first, I doubted him, but i tried it, and that's definitely the game image files.

Or you could just let CloneCD do the work for you. Patience is really all you need :)

BTW, it's going to say "Failed to read sector XXXXX" in the log, but it's reading. I think it does that because even though gamecube games are made from outside in, the laser of the dvd drive probably reads a little of the files each time it goes over them (that's probably why it takes so long).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  13. prkl

prkl Guest

Sweet, I have to try it out... At least I know that their "boot disk" is full hoax so when I first saw that link I didn't bother to read the other stuff there.

EDIT: I downloaded clone cd demo and tried, clonecd gives me some kind of clicking noise when it tries to read the disk... Nothing happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2005
  14. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It's going to take a while. It took me 3 hours, but it might take you 12. If it's still on 0%, don't worry. It's going to finish within a 24 time period. Patience is all you need :)

15. rmr123

rmr123 Member

i made a iso at 4x speed will it work i have no way of knowing b/c i dont have a moded o ya why does it say not to use a laptop b/c thats what u used to make the iso

16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Yes it is, guys, you all probably used little ended soldering irons as well, wheras I used a really blunt ended one and believe me it was tricky...but I found a way where you can be a little careless, ok? This especially works for when you have to solder to the leg of the yellow wire chip.. If you accidently solder to both legs of that chip, get a stanley knife heat it over a flame until its very very hot then melt the solder in between the two legs, then use a tiny amount of thermal paste (found on the gamecube heatsink and use the end of a little screwdriver to rub it in between the two legs (to isolate the connection)....Nemo out.