1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner info needed

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by vetplus40, May 30, 2004.

1. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

I am unsure if this is the correct forum for my problem. I was looking for a General Newbie forum, but could not find one. That being said, here goes:
    I decided to try and see if I could make a video cd. I have 2 .AVI files on my hard drive to convert. I tried Nero 5.0 and got the following message ".AVI cannot open, or unsupported".
    I tried TMPGEnc, and got the same message. The files wont play in Windows media player either (Which is what I thought MS created). I have done some reading, but I must admit that this is a whole lot more difficult that burning mp3's. If someoen could explain on a very elementary level where I am going wrong, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

try downloadin gspot this will tell you what type of file your working with once you know that just find the right programe to convert it

3. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

Thanks, I'll give it a t ry. I just figured that an .AVI extension meant it was an .AVI file.
    Geez, this might be above my capabilities.........:)

4. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

Gspot identified both files as: "Open Dml AVI"
    Two different codecs were identified as needed:
    DivX4 (OpenDivx) for one,
    DivX3 Fast Motion for the other.

A message in the video box said that there was no codec installed on my o/s capable of working with these files. Is the TMPGEnc I installed unable to convert these .AVI files? Sorry to be so uninformed.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

how did you played the video on the pc ?
    anyway download divx5.1 or xvid or i think ffdshow will do the work too.

6. vetplus40

vetplus40 Member

None of them would originally play on my XP pc. I assumed that this new of o/s would have the needed codecs on it, but apparantly it does not.
    I downloaded ("DivX3:)" from this site, and got an install nag message that said what I was trying to install was older than what I already had. I installed it to another location anyway, and both the files now play on my pc. I have a 3rd file that is requiring DivX4 , that I do not yet have installed.
    I think that I am missing a basic piece to this puzzle. Nero converted the files once the codecs were installed on my pc. I thought that Nero could just convert the .AVI file to vcd without anything else. I guess the pc must be able to play it before conversions can take place. Is this right?......Thanks for the help.
    P.S. I'll will try and do some more reading. I am lost as last years easter egg..:(