1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beginner needs help

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by higgy13, Sep 17, 2004.

1. higgy13

higgy13 Member

I recently installed a dvr-108 and it's my first dvd rw drive. I've been following all of the guides and have been using dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. For some reason it's burning extremly slow. The write speed will drop all the way to zero for long periods of time. I let it go to see if it would burn correctly and it did but it took 8 hrs and 42 min with an average write speed of .1. I did that one on a 2.4x RW disk. Just lookin for some help on what could be wrong

2. colw

colw Active member

Sounds like you may be in PIO mode.

Go to your device manager and ensure the DMA mode is enabled.

3. higgy13

higgy13 Member

it's set to dma if available

4. colw

colw Active member

OK - it may be worthwhile to uninstall and reinstall your drives - Some advice from Nephilim on a previous forum shown below:
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    The ideal setup for two drives is to have the burner as the master drive on the cable (the one at the very end) with the jumper on the back set to master as well. The reader should be the slave drive on the cable (in the middle) with the jumper set to slave.

After you get those configured if the drives still refuse to go to DMA it may help to uninstall the drives through Device Manager and let windows redetect the drives. Here's how:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

5. higgy13

higgy13 Member

thanks for that advice...but i've already tried it..and about every other post i've seen that could help that's why i'm so confused.