1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beginner question: do we still use dvd disc when burning vcd movie?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mindy2004, Mar 26, 2004.

1. mindy2004

mindy2004 Member

and i wanna know can u convert dvd files to vcd? do burning vcd work on Nero? thank you!

2. FAK

FAK Member

When making a VCD or SVCD you use a normal CD-R 80min 700mb cd. Yes you can convert DVD files or a DVD Disc to VCD (for info on how to do so go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com and go to guides). Next lol :)
    Yes you can creat VCD's in Nero. Have fun and welcome !

3. mindy2004

mindy2004 Member

thank you!!!

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

Actually, you can burn VCD files onto DVD as well. For some of the tv shows (or anime), you can put a lot of episodes onto 1 DVD. Since it's a cartoon, encoding at a lower bitrate doesn't really affect the quality much.

5. yoyoyeah

yoyoyeah Member

Hey whassup could you be a little more specific with burning VCDs to DVDs? I've been burning VCDs to normal CDs for a while but I can only fit three VCDs to a CD. Now that we've got a DVD burner it'd be a huge timesaver to be able to burn a heap of VCDs in one go. Does it work the same way as burning VCDs to CDs? Do I use nero? Thanks in advance.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

referring to whassup's post,

what he meant is that anime uses flat colours and not too detail textures, but it depends, some anime that uses complex shading, lighting will need a higher bitrate. or you'll see some unpleasant pixelation. those with flat colours are a piece of cake to get a beautiful video results.

7. whassup

whassup Regular member

yoyoyeah, I'm assuming you're also asking about "how" to do it?

Quite easy. For your VCD's, you'll have to demux them. For the audio stream, you'll then have to re-encode to 48KHz. (You don't have to remux.) Then, when you've got all your VCD's demuxed and re-encoded, load up your favourite DVD authoring proggy (I like DVD-Lab myself) and you're ready to go!

For some of my anime series, I've stuck on about 19-20 eps per DVD. (appx 20 min each episode)

8. yoyoyeah

yoyoyeah Member

Hey thanks very much, thats just what I wanted to hear.