1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner question...Standalone DVD copiers?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by nocturnix, Mar 28, 2004.

1. nocturnix

nocturnix Member

Hi, I'm new to the art of DVD copying/backups...

I was wondering, I use my computer alot for web design and other such resource intensive tasks so I was thinking about looking into a standalone dvd-copier piece of equipment.

My questions are this...

1. How does it work? Can it only copy DVD-5 or the smaller DVDs that dont need encoding/compressing/splitting work?

2. What happens if I want to copy a DVD that is bigger than 4.37 or whatever gigs? Can I edit it/compress it with software etc?

Is it practical to buy a standalone dvd+/-R box? Or are they not worth the extra cash? Can I buy one that will copy all dvds, or do I need a computer to edit/compress etc.?

Thanks...I tried searching couldnt find a thread on this although I'm sure its been asked, if so sorry for the recurring topic.

Thanks in advance,
    -Nocturnix

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

Hiya Nocturnix

I have a panasonic dmr-e20. I am reasonably happy with it. The ansers to your questions, from my experience are :-

1. It acts as an "on the fly" recorder, mimicing a standard video recorder. It can record 2 hours (recommended) 1hour (superior quality) and 4 hours (naff quality). It will not copy any encypted disks at all, unless you purchase a "video stabiliser" device. Compression does not come into the frame at all, it's purely time based recording.

2.My Panasonic is a dvd-r/ram model and basic editing can be undertaken. I also have a panasonic dvd ram burner for my computer. I transfer recordings made on my standalone onto my pc with this drive. I then re-author & add menus using dvd lab. The menus created on most standalones are basic to say the least

In my personal view, i wish id never bought my standalone. The quality of my recorded images is not that great,but its acceptable. I basically use it now as a video recorder to record tv programmes for viewing at a later date.

I hope this is of some help