1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kpmas, Nov 17, 2002.

1. kpmas

kpmas Member

Hi there...

I'm looking at buying a DVD burner. My reason behind this is that I own 1000+ DVD movies and wish to make backups. I've had a few occasions where kids have been visiting and have scratched some of my collection by mistake. One of them recently got destroyed by children and I wasn't overly impressed. Anyways, point being is that I am not sure where to start...

Does a copy of a DVD preserve everything including menus and Dolby 5.1 surround?

I realize the limitation is 4.7 GB in size but what does this mean in actual minutes of movietime traditionally? Is there a way I can tell which movies I may have a problem making a backup of?

Any recommended hardware or software that I would need? I'm looking at the HP 200 simply because I'm an authorized HP dealer so I can get a good deal...:)

I have read about converting to one format, then another, then another etc... is this really neccessary or can I simply insert a DVD in my player and a blank in the burner and make a copy?

Thanks for your time.

Paul

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

a good place to start is at www.doom9.net, go to the guides sections.

certain dvds can be preserved just like the originals (ones that are dvd-5 (single layered).
    A good ripping program: dvd decrypter
    A good ifo editing program: ifoeditor

I have an HP dvd200i burner and i use memorex dvd+r media (it seems to be compatible in almost every dvd player i have tried so far)

hope that gives ya a start
    peace
    seamonkey420

3. rick2880

rick2880 Guest

Well,
    Afterv extensive reseach into the worthless a104 I ended up with the latest Toshiba and haven't had problem # 1

4. rick2880

rick2880 Guest

BTW,
    The toshiba model was lower than bulk rate from Pioneer even though I'm a dealer also of both pioneer and toshiba...just fyi

5. mike4692

mike4692 Member

just for your information dvd-r has a higher % rate of playing in dvd players than that of dvd+r,the ratio is 85/80 for dvd-r however most of the dvd player now play both ;0)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  6. Dmactds

Dmactds Member

I downloaded Smartripper and tried to unzip it with Winzip but got a pop up saying it wasn't archived or some such; some downloads/unzips go flawlessly and others like this one seem to present an endless parade of problems. It suggested I download again and archive which I tried to do with WinRar but to no avail..., any help, suggestions, whatEVER! I've tried running it straight to download and also saving to desktop then trying to open..., also, the fact that all of the pop ups are in German aren't helping much.

Duncan

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  7. rick2880

rick2880 Guest

Try doing a control panel /add remove programs, remove program and All associated file's, reboot and try re-installing.
    Seems to work for me when the first install doesn't go corrcecctly. Call it superstition but it seem to work.
    Ricck2880

8. rick2880

rick2880 Guest

One other point, try clickin to translate page to English first.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

in reference to this:
    "just for your information dvd-r has a higher % rate of playing in dvd players than that of dvd+r,the ratio is 85/80 for dvd-r however most of the dvd player now play both ;0) "

not true... a recent study done shows that dvd+r are more compatible in consumer dvd players and i have not yet found a dvd player that won't play my dvd+r backups..
    just my $.02
    peace

10. rick2880

rick2880 Guest

I run a Toshiba CDU dvd-r/-rw unit and it will not even recognize +'s period. DVD-R is the easiest, least expensive all aroung solution I've found yet. Even the burner is cheaper and guess what, it's the only one that worked. I've got got a surplus of + drives, blanks if anyone disagree's and wishes to buy them.......They are collecting dust at this point.......;)
    MY two cents

11. Rndy831

Rndy831 Guest

i ripped a dvd using dvd decrpter i got 6 .vob files and one .ifo file. HOw do i burn a cd using thess files.

12. rick2880

rick2880 Guest

What kind of burner do you have?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2002
  13. DVDPlanet

DVDPlanet Guest

I have Pioneer a04 and it's a good burner so far. I have not had any problems with it yet.

14. rick2880

rick2880 Guest

I've never been able to get the Ao4 to work. I have one. Ended up with the latest Toshiba (which was cheaper) and it does work and only roadblock so far is this one-to-one disc copy. Right now the only drawback but they're working on it. Not toshiba, the burner software maker. What I meant was, what burner software are you using.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

kpmas,
    Don't know if all your questions were answered but I'll try to address the questions that weren’t.

A. Yes!

DVDXCOPY Xpress will do that, no problem. I mention that program because of your following question -

A. Using DVDXCOPY Xpress you can do it all with just 1 mouse click and you'll have a backup in less than an hour with a modern day PC.

In reality you must have a movie file less than 4.36GB to fit on a 4.7GB DVD disc.

DVDXCOPY Xpress will fit your movie (complete e) on a single DVD - don't worry about that.

Xpress is a program, which you must buy, you can get it reasonably on ebay or do a "Google" and you'll find different sites to sell it cheaper than directly from 321 Studios.

Option # 2.
    A Free program, easy to learn to use is DVDShrink - It will get rid of the copy write, allow you to remove things like trailers or languages you don't need and then compress your movie to the required 4.36GB if you wish more info let me know - anmywho, here is the link for that -

A complete DVDShrink program download and step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

A truly excellent burning program (you'll need that after DVDShrink does it's thing.) is Nero - Here is a link for that, you can use it for free for 30 days to see how you like it -

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

As for the burner, listen to everyone, make up your own mind. I'm using a HP as one of my burners -

Hope this has been of some little help -

"P"