1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 1620/1640/1650

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rcm999, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

my benqs is on its way. i will have them on friday. that 2day shipping for 2.99 was awesome.
    i would like to know is which one do you guys think its the best??
    the 1620or 1640 or 1650.
    The earlier version of 1620 were made in malaysia and i dont know if that have anything to do with being better in quality or not.
    i am getting all 3 anyways.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Of all 3 of those models that I have,the 1640 gives me the best scans,but don't burn at 2.4x.
    8x burning gives me the best scans.

Members of cdfreaks rate the 1620 as the finest model,but only drawback is the overburning. Most 8x media will burn at 12x and sony media will burn at 16x if you leave the burn setting at max. Qsuite will not help the overburning,but will for the 1640 and 1650.

My 1650 is pretty good,but I get read huge/wide spikes at the 2 gb mark using nero's disc quality scan. Something about the reading part isn't up to par,but 1 hell of a burner.

8x burning and even 12 burning is no problem! They are also hellitous booktyping drives!!!!

Backups from all 4 of my benqs look as good as my Plextor PX-716A backups. I couldn't tell a difference from any of them.

3. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

hello saugmon,
    i knew you were the man to ask about those benqs. i thought the 1620s was going to be your favor because of the 3000 burns. however
    aabbccdd mentioned his px-716 have over 4000.
    we only have to wait and see if the 1650 can get that far. i am sure
    the 1640 should reach 2000 with ease any thoughts??

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Use them for burning only,and they will last a long time.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

6. redice

redice Regular member

wow 99.99 dollars for a benq 1650

7. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

Hello Guys,
    Be aware of that website man. I recieved 2 of the benq I ordered from them yesterday. I ordered the DW1650 and guess what they shipped?? They ship 1650V as DW1650. That is one big lie man.
    I tried to call the place to get a returned and they put me
    on-hold forever and i am going to call them again today and see
    if i can get a return. If anybody else have same problem please
    speak up and let us know.

thank you guys

8. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

You don't have to call them, Yujenh. You can email them at: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Service/NotAdvertised.jsp. I haven't received my order, but I'll post when I do and give a report. And saugmon is 100% correct. The DW1650 is now at $99. Just makes me wonder if and why they'd advertise a 1650V as a DW1650; especially at that price. I just hope it was just a snafu for Yujenh. I'd think too ZZF would pay for the freight back on something like that.

9. Jerryp48

Jerryp48 Member

RIP OFF. They sent me a 1650V also. DVD Rom not a burner.I live near Newark, CA where they work . Took it back in person rather than ship, Said they will give me refund in 1 to 2 weeks but charged a restock fee of 15%.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You should file against them for false advertising.

11. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

If they do charge a restock fee, you need to file a complaint with the BBB for false advertising.

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Exactly my thinking ^^^

That's completely unaceptable..

13. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

Hello guys,
    I got couple things to say. They simpley dupeBut the everybody man.
    At least the 1640s are legit. If they did charge restocking fee then this really sucks because THIS IS A VENDOR MISTAKE.
    Well,they did email me back with detailed infor for return and stuff. It seems like at least they took care of return shipping.
    However for them to charge restocking fee is totally wrong and its
    also wrong for it have to take up 2 weeks for refund. It ddint take them 2 days to charge for the payment why does it take 2 weeks for them to give back the money that doesnt belong to them.

14. Jerryp48

Jerryp48 Member

I didn`t save the original ad. If you click on the link from RCM999 dated 12-30-06 it shows the price at $99 and under disc format clearly shows read rates but no Write rates. Is there a way to bring up the original ad to compare?

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That link says 1650V,but the header says:

[bold]BENQ DW1650 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW Bare Drive (Beige) ***Free Shipping[/bold]

Those crooks should have listed it as DVD-Rom instead of DVD+/-RW, BULL SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They must be taking notes from EBAY.

16. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

Well, I didn't save the original ad - never crossed my mind there'd be a need to. So I can't say the specs listed were those of the DW1650 or not. But I did order two of them and my package isn't supposed to be here 'till Monday. Now I have to fret all weekend to see if I took a tubing on this deal as well. If I did get two of the 1650V's you can bet I'll scream.

Now - keep in mind this: Some folks who paid with a credit card may have some relief in store. Many credit card companies offer fraud protection and this little stunt by ZZF I know for a fact does qualify as fraudulent activity, at least with my bank. If ZZF will not make it 100% good, then file a complaint with your bank/credit card company and normally they will issue you the refund and then go after the vendor.

I just hope I don't have to go through all that. I have once before and it was painless, but kind of embarassing.

Edit: Be sure to go in and rate them too. Maybe a swarm of negatives will get them "off and on".

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  17. Jerryp48

Jerryp48 Member

They did give me a full refund yesterday. They credited my credit card for total cost except for $1.99 which was for 2nd day air shipping which I requested , which I didn`t need and wouldn`t have asked for if I knew they were so close to where I live.( 10 min. away ).Still won`t buy from them again. Bought from Newegg.

18. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

That's great, Jerryp48. They didn't hit you with the 15% restocking? I dug a little bit and saw they are CNet Certified. I looked at what that meant and basically it appears that CNet is the BBB of online commerce and they have fairly strict guidelines. If all you got hit with was the $1.99, consider it a fairly inexpensive lesson.

There's someone at another thread that mentioned this problem and I'm keeping an eye on it to see that response.

19. CompNerd

CompNerd Member

Well, I was very excited to say the least that I could order another BENQ DW1650 incase mine ever dies (I love this burner). Along with so many I see already I also recieved the BENQ 1650V. Now the 1640 which appears to be a legit deal is SOLD OUT so no BENQ for me. Wish i would have 1640'd from the start, now I have to hope to get my refund.... and lose the 15% because they shipped me the wrong drive.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  20. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

jerryp48,
    you're the man. i wont mint if they only charge the shipping. Its really good to know that there is a chance they wont charge restocking fee. because 15% is kind a lot for their wrong doing.
    I believed this is suppose to be pretty big fiasco. Some people
    probably recieved the wrong model but just didnt want to talk about it. Or there are other whom havent got theirs yet because of free shipping thing. Also I wont be buying from them again even they have the right model instock.