1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 1620/1640/1650

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rcm999, Dec 30, 2006.

1. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

I also have always had good luck with ZipZoomFly.They usually always beat newegg's price because of free shiping and no tax in TN.

2. pollution

pollution Regular member

I received the BenQ 1620 today from 3btech and I think it is what I ordered. WOW! This is the first burner where the light goes red when it burns, this simple feature amazes me.
    For the drive model when I open ImgBurn all it has listed is ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16.

Is this a genuine BenQ burner?

3. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

well, it should be a real benq because my was recognize as the
    ATAPI 2X16X4X16, too. is your made in malasia or china??

one of my dw1650 is acting crazy and i dont know whats wrong with it and maybe you guys can help me. whenever I turn it on and the green light just kept blinking and it doesnt matter what media cd/dvd i put it it just blink and blink. is it dead??

4. pollution

pollution Regular member

I will check my drive to see where it was made if I get around to installing Linux on my computer today.

I found more info on the ATAPT 2X16X4X16 reason on this drive and how to fix it.
    Fix Instructions

The links in the fix instructions to cross flash where broke so it was a little to hard to find the files needed to cross flash the drive but here is a working link.
    Files to cross flash

I did the cross flash on my drive and updated to the latest firmware version B7W9 and it seems fine but have not burned yet. It does list the drive as a BenQ now.

5. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

way to go pollution,
    great job.
    by the way, whats the benefit for cross flash it to benq?? Just
    for the qsuite or what?? does it burn better??

thanks

6. pollution

pollution Regular member

The only reason I have ever had to flash a dvd drive was so that it was able to burn a new type of disc(Not on this drive). I think it is always a good idea to update the firmware unless it is known that the newer version is not as good as the previous.

I updated my firmware because I wanted to see BenQ for the dvd drive and not ATAPI. Honestly, I do not know if it did any good or not to update the drive but it did not hurt it.

I am burning Linux Red Hat Fedora Core 6 x64 on the BenQ right now and this drive is unbelievably quiet.

7. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen. ZipZoomFly has processed my return and credited my account in full for the BenQ DW1650-1650V switch. They may have watered down my martini, but they made good on it in full. I'll still be very skeptical of them from here on unless they offer an attractive incentive to come back.

I hope the rest of you folks had good luck getting this snafu staightened out.

With that over and done and the Plextor rumors flying around, where do we go from here? I still have one DW1655 and an NEC3550A.

8. Yujenh

Yujenh Regular member

thank god, this is finally over. I got every single penny back.
    well, the plextor thing is just rumor after all. They probably thought about quitting but decide to stay but i think its really just matter of the time before they really quit. Well, the Nec will always be a good bet and there is always liteon. I believe they will probably be the biggest manufacture for dvd burners for the days to come.

9. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

That product code does not come up. That was probably a lingering error in their system. They do still have the DW1650V DVD-ROM READER though.