1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 1620 Pro - Installation troubles

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rogan, Mar 5, 2005.

1. rogan

rogan Member

OK, I have a new BenQ 1620 Pro (OEM),

slipped it in, set the jumpers, checked it in BIOS, installed a few extra bits of software that came with it, let XP figure it out - all lovely. Burnt a DVD. Fine.

When I tried to use a new pile of DVD-R and DVD-RW Nero kept telling me "no disc instered". Now not doing anything, even with a plain old music CD it just opens and shows a blank disc in Explorer - in WMP it wont even open. I've uninstalled everything I can to stop any conflicts, uninstalled the drive and reinstalled it.

Next step is to unplug it and the DVD-ROM (same IDE, secondary).

Anyone got any ideas otherwise?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check to see if exclamation mark in device manager & if so, were? what is drive jumpered as?

3. rogan

rogan Member

Nope no problem's in device manager, it's supposedly "working properly" - cue manic laugh.

It's jumpered as a master, on the end of the cable.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what nero version are you using & do you have latest updates??

5. rogan

rogan Member

I was using a bundled OEM version of Nero - it seemed to be called "6", nothing more specific than that. Right now though, I have absolutely no writing software at all! (Except WindowsMP - which I'm hoping isn't related.)

I uninstalled everything to try and remove software conflicts from the issue, and hopefully simply things - but this hasn't worked.

I do have 6.6.0.3 Ultra Edition as well which I'll probably install instead of the OEM bundle later on.

6. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I have a new Benq DW1620 Pro also. It wrties to plus dvds just fine and it writes to -dvds but they do not play on my new Pioneer dvd player-recorder and that is the csnterpiece of my home theatre system. They play fine on my computer and they play on my old DVD player but the -DVDrs wont play on the new Pioneer. I dont understand it. If my new Pioneer has the power on they do not play, but if I turn the power off with DVD inside and then turn the power on they play. It is incredible. My burn sppeed have increased to about 7x using 8x media. But the burns speeds using Sony blank DVD- media slow down to about 5x. I think I am going to uninstall it and bring it back to Curcut City and buy a Liteon. I never had any problems with my Pioneer 106D except slow 4x burns. Never had a coaster till today. If anyone else has had this problem let me know. I do not think it is a firmware issue but who knows.

7. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

If you want to consider another drive, try the NEC 3520 from Newegg.com @ around $52 + modest delivery charge( if you don't need software or 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable). Comes in beige, black or silver, with or without software (OEM software would add a few dollars but better to skip and spen the money on full version of Nero). Best drive for the money; rated higher than BenQ. Comparable to Pioneer, just a notch under Plextor (but much lower price).