1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 1655 lightscribe?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by juliano, Dec 22, 2005.

1. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

No problem.

2. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I just got one too, UPS gorund free shipping from Shop4Tech, it takes about a week to get from Ca. to NJ. Good deal though.

3. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi All...
    BenQ 1655 from Shop4tech came today. Mine does have the Nero6 OEM with the Lightscribe software. It took about a week to get here. Newegg has a lower price now but 2 weeks ago, most that were available were $65.00 (approx).

Does anyone know the difference in the OEM 6 and the regular suite?

thx...
    Hmeister...

4. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi All...
    BenQ 1655 from Shop4tech came today. Mine does have the Nero6 OEM with the Lightscribe software. It took about a week to get here. Newegg has a lower price now but 2 weeks ago, most that were available were $65.00 (approx).

Does anyone know the difference in the OEM 6 and the regular suite?

thx...
    Hmeister...

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

hmeister my understanding of the oem burning software that comes for free with most burners and this apply's to any software not just nero is that the oem version even though fully functional is designed to work with a specific drive ( Like the one it came with!) while the full/retail version should work with almost any drive ! hope that ths helps Happy burning !

6. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi...

Yes, this is the given. If you try to install OEM on a DVD player other than what is was created for, you will not be able to load it and it will tell you so.

My question was answered in another forum. What I was interested in is what part of the applications are different in 6 OEM and regular 6. I overlayed the OEM on my original 6 version because it had the lightscribe bundled into the install. Now, I found out reading here in another fourm that I could have d/l'd the lightscribe by itself and keep my original 6. Looks like I need to regroup on this and maby uninstall the OEM and re-install the 6 just to see what gives as far as additional apps etc and then find the lightscribe software for d/l.

I never used the Nero 6 on DVD as I used it on my CDRW only until Santa bought me my BenQ 55. (I have been having fun converting AVI to DVD for my wife. What an education!)

Today is Russian Christmas so everyone can go out and by some more presents...!

Cheers!

Hmeister

7. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hello all...
    NewEgg now has BenQ DW1655...

Price - $59.99
    Shipping - $4.89 Flat Three Day Shipping

Price Plus
    Shipping - $64.88
    DVD BURNER BENQ|DW1655 BK LS OEM DW1655 BenQ Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 4X DVD-R DL With Lightscribe
    Part No - N82E16827101006
    Read more at Newegg.com

I paid $65 with shipping from a Canadian supplier...

Happy New Year and today is Russian Christmas so everyone can go out and buy another present!

Cheers;

Hmeister

8. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

hmeister - the software you need to run the lightscribe can be downloaded at the following link:

http://dl1.nero.com/LS_HSI.EXE

I did not use the Nero software that came with the drive because I already had Nero 7 Ultra edition. Your original Nero 6 will recognize your BenQ 1655 as a lightscribe drive as soon as you download the LightScribe host software from the link above. You do not need to download the Nero 6 OEM.

9. hmeister

hmeister Member

Thx for the link...
    I did some more testing and am in great shape. The OEM did install on top of my original 6 version without incident. I went back and burned a DVD using the original 6 burn interface ok. SOOoooo, I see you have 7. I have 7 at work which they bought for me. I see a lot of posts here that say 7 is buggy?? Mmmm, my 7 at work does what I want it to do??
    SOOOooo, how do you like the 7 full??

thx...
    Hmeister

10. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

Definetly buggy. The most recent Nero updates have helped, and I had to spend a lot of time troubleshooting just to burn a simple project, but I think I have everything lined out now. If I have more issues I may switch back to the Nero 6.

11. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi...

I remember I did have trouble burning a DL with about 7 gb of data last week tuesday. I could not get this one to burn on the 7 version at work and toasted two DL's (Made some coasters).

I forgot about this one incident. We have an external dual layer, Plextor, we use to burn data off laptop drives. I had to load the plextor software to get it past the 4.6 mark...

I will check for the updates when I get back on Monday...

H.

12. lgt1

lgt1 Guest

I bought mine at Future shop on boxing day and had no problems the light scribe plug in installed automatically with nero 6 suite . I was surprised to see how easy it was to use the light scribe is fantastic Tried it out on the supplied CD .

13. hmeister

hmeister Member

That sounds great.
    I got the OEM so no fun as no provided sample media. Now, the next item will be finding the best Lightscribe media to buy. I was reading another forum and someone there was burning their lightscribe designs twice for a darker effect.

If your like me, I must have a couple dozen CD's laying around with no label on them. I burn a ton at work doing various restores, file transfers etc. with no labels. I do have a label machine at work that I use plus an inkjet that can label the white media. I don't always use this unless it is something I plan on keeping long term.

Cheers...
    Hmeister...

14. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

The best media I have found for the LightScribe is Verbatim. I picked up a 10 pack of DVD+R 8x at Wal-Mart for $10.99. The Verbatim 10 pack of CD-R's were $6.99. Verbatim is one of the highest quality DVD's you can buy.

15. hmeister

hmeister Member

Thx...
    I am going to Wally's later this week and will check it out. Has anyone got any other sources for LightScribe in bulk?? (Internet??)

Happy New Year!

H.

16. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

I can' wait to get this drive ! Thing is I have been all over looking for a black retail version available in the UK and the only drive I can find is the OEM. :(

Don't suppose anyone can remember seeing a link for a UK supplier ?

17. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi...
    I bought mine from a Canadian supplier. It is the OEM version. The OEM version does come with Nero6. I got mine at Shop4Tech but newegg now has these. I am not sure they have the retail. Good luck finding a supplier in UK. The 1655 was available everywhere first except the USA...

H.

18. lgt1

lgt1 Guest

The lightscribe interface actually is similar to a printer it gives you a choice of Draft,normal or Best.

19. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

I noticed that, but I have no idea why anyone would want to waste a lightscribe disc on draft quality. Personally, I will be waiting the extra 10 minutes for the best quality label.

20. lgt1

lgt1 Guest

Yes thats true but i quess there is someone out there that would find a use for it . If you can burn it twice I can see someone experimenting with double exposures. the draft as a background with a darker image over top.