1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 1655 lightscribe?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by juliano, Dec 22, 2005.

1. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

Thanks Hmeister

I must have missed the launch of the 1655 here in England then - D'oh ! Everywhere I have been, all my usual internet based suppliers don't have it.

Oh well have to keep looking....

Thanks and regards

2. hmeister

hmeister Member

I gogglized the 1655 uk and came up with this supplier
    Komplett.uk
    It says they have stock but you will have to check it out.
    Cheers...
    H.

3. hmeister

hmeister Member

This doesn't look like the retail but they are offering 5 extra DVD's.
    (snip)
    Your Price Buy
    BenQ DVD±RW burner, DW1655, 16x, Dual, Black, 5 free LightScribe CDRs..!!
    CD/DVD/Floppy / DVD Writers
    Komplett #: 317132 / 9J.B7F15.0B8

43.5 Price...

4. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

Yeah that's the only place that I could find here in the UK selling it ! It's the OEM though and I have been advised to get the retail version.....

I have even e-mailed BenQ.co.uk asking if they can advise where a purchase of the retail DW1655 could be made...

Thanks again

5. hmeister

hmeister Member

No Stock until 1/20 (Ack)

6. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

At least they have (or will do) the drive even if its only the OEM. I am amazed that there does not appear to be anyone else in the UK selling this drive.......

7. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

Ah interesting - in my haste I didn't notice that the one with the "free" lightscribe CD-Rs actually costs more £'s !!

I have therefore mailed them to ask if this is the retail version of the drive.

Keeping my fingers crossed it is !

8. hmeister

hmeister Member

What's the big difference in Retail? I know you get one free dvd, a cable. I think you get the full Nero6 instead of the OEM. My OEM overlayed perfectly over my 6 full and it installed the lightscribe.

h.

9. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

This is probably a really silly question, but what is OEM?

10. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

There you go....

Short for original equipment manufacturer, which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers -- they are the customizers.

For Drives it usually means a bare drive with no cables, progs etc. Although in the case of these BenQ drives I am not sure that applies !

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  11. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

Thanks for the clarification

12. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

No Worries - that's my understanding of OEM, I am sure there are more learned definitions tho

13. mifireman

mifireman Member

Help! Will the 1655 be able to lightscribe right out of the box, ie: with the included software? I also have to externally mount this burner. Will it fit into a standard sized external case? And lastly, where can I purchase a decent case at a fair price? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

14. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

mifireman, nice to see another fireman in the forum. To answer your question, your burner should work right out of the box. I had a small problem with mine because the LightScribe host software that was supposed to come with it was not on the disc. After downloading it off the net mine worked like a charm. I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem so you should be fine. The drive is the standard size of any internal burner, so I wouldn't think you would have any problem mounting it in a standard external case. As for were to find one for a good price, I'm not sure. You could always try Newegg.com, they are a great online store.

15. juliano

juliano Member

Okay, finally got around to Burning a few DVD's. This thing worked great!!! have AnyDVD working in background...then used DVDFAB, then Shrink.....then to nero....and Wha-La...Perfect copy of my movie. Used Tai-Yuden disks.....Excelent copy!!! This BenQ drive is awsome. Sorry for the not so detailed review, pressed for time at the moment....Trust me, you'll love this drive.

16. hmeister

hmeister Member

Lightscribe is bundled in the Nero 6 OEM disk...

17. lgt1

lgt1 Guest

My interpritation of OEM is usually software that is included with a computer product that is not quite a full version and will only alow limited use of the basic features to access the full features it must be registered and payed for . This is also known as bundled software . In the case of The BENQ like many other companies these days they have worked out a deal with nero to supply a full working version of NERO 6 which is an older version (NERO 7 is the newest). In hopes that you will upgrade or buy the newest version NERO 7. OEM is also used in the auto industry if you look at the packaging on aftermarket auto parts or Oil you will notice that they should say meets or exeeds OEM specifications . In other words its as good as or better than the parts that supplied with your car when it was new.

18. mifireman

mifireman Member

Fireman DB, thanks! Hey, how did you get the logo added to your posts? Forgive me, but I am still a newbie at this. What state do you live in?

19. pkoontz

pkoontz Member

Hi All:

Granny needs some help, okay I got the Benq 1655 lightscribe, installed it with no problems, have the label software with Nero. My question is where can I get the Qsuite 2.1? I currently have Qsuite 2.0 so do I need the latest version? Haven't burned anything yet but just finished the install.

Thanks In Advance for all of your great help

Geeky Granny

20. hmeister

hmeister Member

Hi...
    From what I have seen, the QSuite is only availabe with the BenQ 60. (New Model based on Teac chipset)
    I have the Dq60 which came with the suite but the web site says this software is tailored to the Dq60 only. (have not even used or installed the suite yet and am sending back this Dq60 unit)
    H.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006