1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq burners

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by movies27, Jul 2, 2006.

1. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@redice

I am not a big fan of ALI chipsets, had an I/O Magic external with an ALI chipset and everytime I would try to safely remove, I would get the BSOD. Also got a lot of semaphore timeout errors. Course the drive in it was a crap BTC, and ALI might have changed their chipsets by now. Here is some info on USB and burning issues that you might find interesting.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45123

2. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

@redice:

I know a vendor that is selling the Plextor PX 740UF (rebadged BenQ 1640 external) for under $70 shipped. You can flash it to BenQ EW164B (external version of 1640). No worries about a compatible chipset this way! Not the latest model, but an excellent drive, nonetheless. PLUS the price is right.

EDIT: Disregard. I see you want a lightscribe capable drive...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  3. redice

redice Regular member

@arniebear and the others

yeah the ALI chipsets are not good chips. also thanks for the info about them. it was good read. i have also decide to hold off on the whole lightscribe thing. i will stick with my benq 1650 for now.

i may later on down the line get a printer that prints on the disc.

thanks for all the help

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

redice: If you keep an eye on staple's from time to time,you can get an excellent deal on the epson r series printers. The R-220 and R-340 are their current models. The other week,my local staples had the R-340 on sale for $130,and no rebate to mess around with.Epson keeps updating their printers,so staple's will have great clearance prices on the discontinued models. You may get lucky. I picked my dad up the epson R-200 at staple's for $50, a year ago.

The best part,the most I pay for ink carts is $15-$18 for the set of all 6 colors.Very cheap! After the $3 voucher for empty cart return,you get your money back at staples.

Its quality ink,generic,but a lot cheaper than the $50-$60 a set for genuine epson ink carts for the R series sold at staples/walmart/etc..

5. redice

redice Regular member

@ saugmon

i will keep and eye on the staple's sales paper and website for a sale on the epson r series printers. if was able to get one for 50 that would be a great deal. if you happen to see any on sale or at staple's could you let me know?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

When they clear out the epsons,usually it's a store by store basis. Mine may clear out,or have an unadvertised special,but the next staple's 20 miles away may not.

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

8. redice

redice Regular member

@saugmon

ok thanks

@dolphin2

i will checkout the link.

9. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

10. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

I haven't been able to find any external benq burners that are --not-- OEM version. I any ideas on where to find an external one "retail" that comes w/ the software etc..? Unless I am just missing them here, I checked on meritline and other sites too. Maybe I am just browsing to quick.

11. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

let me rephrase that, as mentioned above I was unable to find an external 1650 and 1655 burner.

12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

halfhere..OEM only means no burning software..Just a BareBones unit..these are the same a BenQ
    THAT looks like a good price on the external,looks like an ADS Houseing

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

can someone list some good sites to get the benq from.. ive been watching newegg but the are out of stock. ive also looked at SMS, and meritline... any other respectable sites to get one from.. seems eveyone is sold out

15. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest