1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ Drive Errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by FredJames, Sep 16, 2004.

1. FredJames

FredJames Member

Hello,

Post #1. Total newbie. This is likely a dumb question but I gotta ask.

Bought a BenQ 1610 drive. Upgraded the firmware to the latest ver. I cab write to a 2X -R disk no problem (have not tried 2X +R yet). But when I write to a 4X or 8X disk +R disk, even by forcing the burning software to slow down, the burn fails (Nero or DVD Creator).

Now the clincher: I have an older Celeron 500....could this be the problem??? Also, when burning, I noticed that I have about 5Mb of free memory left; do I just need more memory?

Appreciate any help....

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You should probably burn @ 4x maximum.
    Only the latest blanks are 8x and I don't trust 'em, still burn @ 4x.
    WTF, let it take its time - 11 minutes or whatever, not too long, and burns will be better @ 4x.
    If you have 128MB you need more :)
    If you have 256MB maybe you're OK. Do you use XP?
    To burn -R at fast speed you will need fast PC with big HDs and lots of memory, to keep Nero's buffers full.
    8x burn is well over 10MB/second...
    And make sure your DVD burner and the source for the burn (HD) are on different controllers.
    L8R

3. FredJames

FredJames Member

it seems that the issue was with my drive, or with the firmware upgrade I did. exchanged the drive and now it works flawlessly.

tx.