1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ DVD Burners?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bunnyrip, Oct 7, 2005.

1. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

OK , I am curious: What is so Great about BenQ Burners that a LOT of the Members here use them? I personally Love the LG Burners, BUT never tried BenQ. I do know that LG is a joint company with Hitachi on ther Optical drives. I NEVER have trouble with any of my LG drives. I am only curious as to what is so good about BenQ Drives. Please tell me.

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Well, they are well behaved and come already housebroken .. I guess bunnyrip that you need to obtain one to find out for yourself ...

I really don't know how to explain it ... What I do know is that the 3 or 4 tests that I read on the DL burners all made it an Editor's Choice AND when it came time for Plextor and Sony to release their latest and greatest drives, they had BenQ make it for them

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

:)

it's the myriad of utilities and features the Benq drives have...and i will have to agree with catfreak in Plextor and Sony both using rebadged Benq for their NEWEST units :)

i personally have MUCH more experience with Pioneer and Sony (Liteon) drives and MANY OEM Liteon units, but, since i picked up my Benq 1640 last month, i have yet to try it out..perhaps THIS thread is the last "push" i need to break open the box and put my Benq into a computer to try out for myself... :)

Benq is definitely a GOOD, SOLID, QUALITY DRIVE, a close friend of mine has an older Benq drive for over 3 years now, still going on strong~! so, it definitely CAN and WILL stand the test of time~ and many many burns...

4. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

Well Fellas, sounds like that is what I need to do,try one. What Model do you recommend? I like to be able to do Dual Layers, and I like the Latest Drives. So, that said, which model would either of you recommend?

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

bunnyrip ...
       BenQ SolidBurn -- Intelligent Self-Learning Writing Technology
      Tired of the frequent firmware updates required to maintain your drive's support of blank DVD media? With SolidBurn, the DW1640 is able to apply its own Self-Learning. Writing Strategy algorithm to allow unknown DVD±R media to be written with increased quality. So there is no need for users to update the media support list in their DVD drive as the drive keeps itself up-to-date and ensures best writing quality on all DVD±R media. Better yet, SolidBurn supports the Over-Speed Burning that allows you to burn a 4x or 8x DVD±R disc at 8x or higher speeds.

Write Right Technology-- Best Quality in DVD
      BenQ's exclusive Write Right Technology utilizes two powerful features: Tilt Control and WOPC II (Walking Optimal Power Control II). By using these features, the DW1640 is able to maintain perfect control over the laser beam angle and the power rate being projected onto the disc, ensuring your data is written at the best possible quality.

And this stuff really works !

7. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

The BenQ software makes gives the BenQ burner the ability to burn most any disk with excellent results. I had one for two entire weeks, during that time it burned dozens of disks (make it "learn" each piece of media) with very high "scores" on Nero's disk tool.

The downside was that it made horrible "bug zapper" noises during the burns and the eject button would only sometimes work. Since the noises and problems with the eject button just got worse and worse I rma'd it back to newegg. Maybe the next one will be built better. It stinks paying $15.00 to ship it since it only cost $40+ with shipping to buy it.

If the next one is faulty I'm going to wrap it and a dead fish in bubble wrap and send it to BenQ in China to let them know what I think of their QC. The fish is because I don't speak Chinese. ;)

8. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I had the same problem. I rmad 2 drives and finally on the 3d I got a great one. I had constant read problems with the first two spin up and down during the rip. The good was Made in China August 2005 BSHB firmware which I upgraded to BSLB and QSuite 2.0. Great drive. Solid burn is learning all media and every burn is getting better.

9. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

My "BAD" BenQ was China, June 2005 and there have been a lot of bad ones from that place/date. Most of the Malaysia ones are good, per reports. Hopefully the newegg warehouse is empty of the June China models.

I think you'll also find that the BenQ even with the SolidBurn software is much more partial to +R media than it is -R media. Just the opposite of my NEC ND3540 which likes its -R media but gives problems with +R media not on its list.

10. catfreak

catfreak Active member

My BenQ was made in July (China) and I bought it from NewEgg .. I have burned Verbatim DVD+R DL (MKM001), Ritek DVD+R DL (RitekD01), Fuji DVD+R DL (RicohjpnD00), Fuji -R (TYG02), Fuji +R (Yuden000T02), Maxell +R (MXL002), Sony +R (SonyD11 & D21), Verbatim +R (MCC004) and a crapload of Verbatim +R (MCC003). The MXL002 and the SonyD11 are NOT on the 'offical' BenQ list but they burned and scanned just fine. I only burned 20 out of the 30 -R Fuji discs that I purchased, but they burned and scanned great. NO COASTERS YET .. (knock on wood)

This is the fifth different DVD burner that I've owned and it produces the best scans and the best playback of the bunch

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

@Catfreak: The Plextor PX-740 is their latest drive, but it is in no way, shape or form, their greatest. It is a dummied down PX-716A drive. Could be the reason that they had BenQ make it for them.

And, my second choice for a burner would be BenQ, so don't get me wrong. I just don't understand why Plextor would give that model the 740, since it is a stripped model of the 716A.

12. daddyjar

daddyjar Member

Hello everyone, I have a question. I just ordered the Benq 1640 from newegg and should get in soon. My question is does the Benq 1640 burn music (cdrs) good? I read somewhere that it handles dvd burning great but not music cdrs? Can anyone that has the Benq respond? I am debating whether it would be worth it or not to keep my Plextor cdr burner in my case to burn the music files or if the Benq 1640 will do just fine. Can someone respond to me?

13. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I'll have to try burning some CDs with my BenQ 1640 .. so far all I've used it for is burning in the DVD, SVCD and VCD format .. It does all three of these very well .. I use a different PC equipped with a Plextor PX-712A to burn CDs

14. daddyjar

daddyjar Member

I have a Plextor 40 speed crd drive but would prefer not to have to leave it in my case unless the Benq really doesn't burn music cds well. Thanks for responding and let me know what kind of results you get by your Benq with music cds. Thanks again

15. Lemmmer

Lemmmer Member

After one (not a very representative sample) CD burn and test, seemed to be very good, however, I have no basis for comparision, this is my first drive. Take this for what it's worth (virtually nothing).

16. Lemmmer

Lemmmer Member

17. daddyjar

daddyjar Member

Thanks Lemmer and Catfreak for your responses. If anybody else has any opinions on the writing quality of cdrs on the Benq 1640 please let me know. I shoud be getting the drive next week and am contiplating whether or not I should keep the plextor cd burner in my case along with the Benq for writing music cds.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@daddyjar - i haven't read this thread fully yet, but it is very good idea to have more than one burner, i do all my CD burning/DVD ripping on my LG cd burner/dvd-rom combo drive, and just use the DVD burner for burning dvd's

19. daddyjar

daddyjar Member

Thanks Creaky for your response. Does any body else have an opinion on whether it is a good idea or not to have an extra drive in your pc just for cd burning and have a second drive just for dvd burning? I am sort of a newbie to the pc world and always could use other people's opinions. Thanks again

20. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I wouldn't be without 2 burners in my computers.