1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ DVD Burners?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bunnyrip, Oct 7, 2005.

1. zzkoay81

zzkoay81 Member

Hi...pls help!!
    My Benq DW1640 cant burn DVD-R as dvd data disc.
    I'm using CMC-Mag dvd-r.
    Firmware is BSLB

The following errors occur :
    Write error occurs during lead-in.
    Book Type request: DVD-ROM
    Drive doesn't support changing Book Type for DVD-R
    Pls help anyone..Thank you.

2. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

right off the bat, ditch that crappy CMC MAG media...that could be PART of your problem...secondly, you can't booktype a dvd-r disc to dvd-rom :)

you can try to your heart's content, but it will NOT do it...only dvd+r/dvd+r DL/dvd+rw can be booktyped, either using the QSuite utility or other booktype utilities (nero, dvd decrypter, dvdinfopro, etc..)

that should be a start...media being the MAIN problem that stands out from the info you have given...

docTY

3. zzkoay81

zzkoay81 Member

Thanks kivory666 for the info.

I use Nero and the booktype setting is set to automatic.
    I tried to change the booktype setting to physical disc type and it is still booktyped dvd-r disc to dvd-rom.
    Is there anyway to configure it so that it won't booktype dvd-r disc to dvd-rom?

Guess have to buy new media.

Thanks!!

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@zzkoay81 - that's exa ctly how i have my booktyping set (automatic). it does +R automatically and doesn't complain when -R are burnt, ie they just get burnt as per a normal -R disc and there are no moany messages from Nero

5. zzkoay81

zzkoay81 Member

hi creaky.

my nero booktyping is also set as automatic.
    I have no problem burning dvd+r, only dvd-r gives me headache.

Anyway, i guess it could be the crappy media problem.

Thanks!!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Definitely get some better media,in the plus format. I've got 2 benq 1620s and a 1640 and the plus format/booktyped to dvd-rom backups kick ass compared to the dash backups from these 3 burners. It isn't even close. That's why I no longer use the dash format.After you booktype quality plus format to dvd-rom-Good luck on finding a stand alone player/game console/or another pc dvd drive that won't recognize your backups.

For some reason,I could booktype with my 1620s using nero oem,but it wouldn't work for my 1640. Q-suite 2.0 took care of that issue.

Go to that benq link that catfreak and I posted. Check out the BSMB firmware.Since your's are failing at lead-in phase,usually an update is in order.

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Has anyone heard anything about when newegg will get the BENQ-DW 1640's or 1655'S in stock I've been checking their website Religiously and them seeem to not have either Atleast for awhile ! I am willing to pay the price in the Saugmon range ! & I prefer to order from newegg for price & cheap or free shipping ! & assuming that the 1640 & 1655 are close in price which should I get when they come back in stock ! Thanx Saugmon ! & everyone ! Happy Burning !

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Total of $38 including s&h for my 1640!!!! I'm glad I held out till one of the AD members posted that big weekend sale at newegg.

For this quality drive,that price is insane.

Newegg was out of 1620s when I bought the 1640. Now it's the opposite.They've been out of those 1640s for over a month now, UGGH!

I'd like to put one in my single drive pc that has the 1620. I'm restricted to 2.4x or max burn speeds on that pc using dvd shrink and nero6,unless I use the folder to make extra copies-then I can get it to burn 4x or 8x.

With the overburn protection in the 1640,I can leave it set for max speed of actual media to 8x.
    2.4x burning is no good on these benq burners,too many errors.Leave the settings at max speed without the overburn program,then my yuden000-T02 will burn at 16x. That overburn program in q-suite is suppose to work on the Benq 1620 with the fw of B7V9,but both my 2 spare pcs don't have that option after downloading that utility.

BIGTOXY69, I haven't seen anything on the Benq 1655. Anything special about that model?

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

saugmon- It's a newer model - has lightscribe & burns DVD+DL At 8X but I'm not 100percent sure on that point !Other than that the few post I've been able to find on the web are positive ! I'm a Sharpie pen kinda guy so lightscribe really doe'snt matter much as a feature but would be nice to have if the price of media comes down ! found tyhis on newegg link
    Brand BenQ
    Type DVD Burner
    Model DW1655
    Performance
    DVD-ROM Access Time 120ms
    CD-ROM Access Time 120ms
    Cache 2M
    WRITE Speed
    DVD+R 16X
    DVD+RW 8X
    DVD-R 16X
    DVD-RW 6X
    CD-R 48X
    CD-RW 32X
    DVD+R DL 8X
    DVD-R DL 4X
    READ Speed
    DVD-ROM 16X
    CD-ROM 48X
    Physical Spec
    Form Factor 5"
    Panel Color Black
    Configuration
    Load Type Tray
    Interface ATA/ATAPI
    Software
    Operating Systems Supported Windows 98/ ME/ 2000/ XP
    Features
    System Requirements IBM PC compatible Pentium III 550MHz CPU or above
    128MB DRAM, 100MB free HDD space for CD/DVD recording related software installation. 1GB free HDD space for CD Image recording
    Features LightScribe Technology: Create Professional-Looking DVD Labels
    BenQ SolidBurn -- Intelligent Self-Learning Writing Technology
    Write Right Technology
    Lightscribe Disc Formats:CD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R
    Packaging priced at 55.00 dollars which I think is a little high ! all the internet research I've done says the market is flooded with DVD burners & the prices are dropping ! the weird thing is when I try to find a BENQ dw 1640 or 1655 either they don't have them or their really high priced ! here is the link to newegg I found on CDRLABS>COM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101008 the post was dated January 04/06 1 Emailed newegg the other day about whats up with the Benq's Still waiting for the reply !Just sad BestBUy don't sell Benq's got oodles of gift cards for xmas ! maybe will cash them in & order a BENQ from newegg? Well that's a wrap !, Cut ! ,Print ! Cue the Sancing Booger ! LOL just kidding Good Luck & happy Dancing!

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got the HP 640c lightscribe.It came bundled up with my pc.I wouldn't pay a dime for an HP burner,let alone the lightscribe model unless it's the rebadged benq 1625. The backups are way inferior for my stand alones,as apposed to my benqs. No contest,so I swapped it for my 1620-then the 1640.

My dad got the same bundled pc that I got so I burned one of those lightscribe discs with my 1640 and took it over to his house on christmas eve to do the lightscribing. Finally got through the instruction manual and etched the cover on that disc and it looked pretty sharp.I've heard running them twice through makes them look even better.Now I got the lightscribe backup/booktyped to dvd-rom/and play anywhere I want to use it in!

So I installed that 640c back onto my pc-swapped out my Litey dvd-rom,but using that HP as a reader and the lightscribe feature only.No burning! Big problem,calls for installation disc and I can't find mine-if it even came with it. Arniebear sent me copies of his programs so I'll have to toy around with it this week.

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Saugmon did little more research newegg has the 1655 in retail & oem version the retail is 55.00 + shipping 7 the oem is 51.00 + shipping ! Shipping 4.99 3 day shipping 1 Compared both same drive same specs ! Just trying to figure out what I give away for 4.00 cheaper price other than the retail( OOH! PRETTY !!!) box ? The retail picture /add shoes two disc one looks like a blank & one software on the retail model but isn't mentioned in the add ! Oem just shows the drive ? I have'nt bought a drive since NEC 3500A came out is 51.00- 55.00 dollars high for a benq ? eamiled Newegg again will report in when they reply They gonna love me Huh? LOL Happy Burning!

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The $55 drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101008

Looks like it has a blank lightscribe disc and maybe an OEM version of Benq drive disc/Sonic record now.Maybe even the 80 wire ribbon?

The sonic express labeler program is what the HP640c lightscribe uses for the etching.It may be part of that purple disc that's in the pic.Maybe the same sonic express labeler for the benq lightscribes? I got one of those benq purple discs with my last 1620.I just don't know where I placed it,but it did have sonic software on it.I didn't use it.

Sounds like a good price for that drive. The 1625 lightscribes were that price a few months ago.

The OEM drive,comes with drive only.No fancy-purty purple box,software,cables.

I checked tigerdirect.com and they didn't have squat for benq burners.

Good Luck with that drive if you get it. Let me know how the compatability on those 1655 backups fare on your stand alone/s..That's the most important criteria for me! No sense in having fancy labels if my stand alones won't recognize them. Later!

13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

saugmon- Okay will do lil' green guy thanx!

14. roadkille

roadkille Guest

Sorry 'cause of a new noob. What is lightscribe technology?

15. catfreak

catfreak Active member

LightScribe uses your DVD burner to burn labels on compatible discs ...

http://www.lightscribe.com/

Just "Burn Flip Burn" Baby!

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Maybe so with a benq light scribe. With my HP lightscribe:Simple burn them on a benq drive,then place them upside down in the HP burner for the etching baby! LOL

17. catfreak

catfreak Active member

@ saugmon just got a HP740b (LightScribe), and you're right the BenQ blows it away burning DVDs ... Now CDs, that's another story ... Only my Plex 712 burns CDs better than the HP ... surprise, surprise ... But the 1640 does DVDs better than any other burner that I own (including the Plex)

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I got the programs that arniebear sent me for the lightscribing and got my first one out a little while ago. Looks great!

Now to get some full hub shiny inkjet printables and judge to see which ones look best: Full hub white inkjet/lightscribe/Full hub Shiny inkjet.

19. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

saugmon- I would think most times that the inkjet labeled disk would look better ( subjective juddgement mind you) as it is normally color vs. the lightscribe which is more of a monochrome /grayscale image from the pics i've seen Nec 's verson comes out in a neat blue but their media won't work with lightscribe & vice versa ! but I sould see lightscribe catching on if the media price drops ! Kinda like the DVD+R DL media it's great we can finally make uncomptressed backups of our movies but 2.00 plus a disc is steep compared to .30 to .50 cents for a quality dingle layer dvd blank! But if that's what you want great going enjoy & happy Burning ! Thanx for your help too ! He's a dancin, dancin, machine ! well a dancing booger actually but why be technical about it! LOL!

20. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Decisions , Decisions !

Newegg Has the Benq 1655 for 59.99 now Also they have the Plextor PX-740A/SW-BL - Retail onsale 59.99 but with 20.00 mail in rebate which would bring the final price to 39.99 + shipping I understand that the plextor is really a rebadged Benq 1640 But my question is will I be able to use all the neat Benq goodies Solidburn Qsuite et"all with the plextor being its a benq under the skin Or will I have to crossflash it to do that ? and is it all worth it ? Peace

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006