1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BENQ DW1655 Issue

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Jrocc019, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

I just purchased the 1655 and installed the latest f/w BCHB. Everything seemed to be fine but it won't play a DvD without chopping it up. I checked the read spead (Nero 6.6.0.14) tried each speed all the way down to 4x and it still skips. I'm afraid to start burning if the drive can't even play a DvD smoothly. I'm using Win DVD to play the DVD. I had a 1650 and it did the same thing..i sent it back and upgraded to the 1655. I checked all of the settings I could think of and still cant get it. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. I am a newbie so please go easy on me. LOL I did try and do my homework here and cdrinfo and I didn't see similar probems.

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Two questions, is that Nero 6.6.1.4 you are using and what brand of discs are you using.

3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jrocc019
    Check you DMA mode on your drives:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038
    It may be set to pio (aka 'the stuttering drive') - that may be why your have a playback issues.

Next to check would be the ide cable - you may have a bad one - or one on it's way out.
    Are you using the same ide cable from the 1650?

4. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Thank you very much for your prompt responses...you guys are awsome!!!
    Nero CD says OEM Suite Nero Express 6 6.6.0.14. This is what i installed with the 1650. I did not install the version that came with the 1655. I'm using Verbatim discs -r but that wasn't in at the time of skipping. It was a dvd movie..not sure what media it is. I haven't started burning yet until I get this straightened out. I am switching from a plextor 750-A to the 1655. The 750-A i had no problems with and it plays dvd's fine. I also had the skipping problem with a memorex 16x internal burner I had to and I took that back. It's been a busy month and a half.

DMA mode looks good i checked that too right after I posted. IDE cable is the same that came with the computer and have used it on other drives with the same problem. Its an 80 I know that much as I checked the color combinations with the chart that came with one of the drives I had. Again..no problems with the 750-A functionality on this cable.

I'm running an IBM Think Centre A50p XP PRo Pen IV X86 and everything on my system is clean and updated. FYI..don't know if that helps.

I'm willing to try any and all suggestions as I'm excited about getting started with the 1655...but i have to get past this first. Thanks again

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

6. binkie7

How do you have the drives set up? Like hard drive as master on the primary ide and dvd/cd drives set up as master & slave on the secondary ide.
    You can look on Nero Tool Kit>InfoTool>Configuration tab.

7. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Yeah thats what I read. I have some Tayos on the way from Mertline as I want to try them also. Both versions that came with each drive is the .14. I will try the upgrade and see if that works but I can't get around the fact the Plextor is fine running with that version? Any thoughts to that?

I'll get right on the removal of the 14 and re-installation of 18 and 21 and see if that does anything. Thank you very much for the links.

8. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

On the secondary IDE the BenQ and Plextor when installed were both the Master. The small chip like object on the back of the drive is moved into the master postion as well. I guess that would go hand-in-hand.

Binkie you have me thinking about the cable being bad or on its way..but then why would the plextor work fine... is what i keep asking myself.

9. binkie7

The Plextor may just be doing better job if something is amiss w/ the connector.
    Try the BenQ on the slave connector on the secondary ide changing the jumper pin to slave and see how it does playing a dvd.
    Check that ide connection to the motherboard while you're at it - make sure secure.

10. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Is that a matter of moving the connector on the back of the drive to the Slave position on the ben q and master on the other drive I have installed...do I have to physically switch both bays or just the connectors on the back?

11. binkie7

No unfortunately you'll have to swap them out in the bays and change the jumper pins to reflect what connection they are on the ide cable.
    master connector - master pin etc.
    What the other drive you have set to slave now? Does this one play back dvd's fine?

12. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Thats what I thought. I have an IBM Multiburner/player that came with my system. I'm not sure what the actual manufacturer is. It plays/burns fine...its whatever drive outside the pextor that i put up top in the master position that gives me problems. While I'll have everything apart do you think I should upgrade the IDE cable anyway?

13. binkie7

The one that came with your drive - was it already set on the slave connector when you got the pc?

If you have a good spare one handy - try it. So far you have 3 drives on the master connector giving you playback problems. (exception being the Plextor) And you have a drive on the slave doing fine.

14. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

I'm from Maryland 2 bink...KoOll Nice dog by the way.. cool pics on the profile..

Yes..the one that still remains in the system was set to slave when I got the PC. I didn't touch that one.

Spare cable, right? I think i have one.

15. binkie7

ah another marylander!! What part?
    Use an 80 wire - you can tell an 80 wire - it will have blue, grey and black connectors.

16. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

I'm right here in good ole Dundalk hon...except I really don't say hon. LOL

I have a 80 in there now and a 80 came with the Plextor so I'll try that one and see what happens.

17. binkie7

LOL - yep that's how you guys & gals talk there :)

Try the new cable and let's see if that does the trick.

18. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Yeah..somehow I knew that was coming. LOOOOL

Ok will do..thanks again for all of your help and I'll be back tomorrow after I swap the cable and the drives out.

Come to think of it..the reason I got rid of the drive that was in there was it wasn't reading all the disks that I put in there. I'd have to open and close the tray several times and sometimes it would work and sometimes not. Maybe it is the cable. :) Thanks again Binkie..talk to you soon.

19. binkie7

Yes Dundalk has that rep :0)
    Keep us posted!

And no problem on the help!

20. binkie7

@Jrocc019
    Another thing to check while you have the case open - power connector.
    May even want to try another one - usually there are spares off of the power supply.
    Might as well rule out another possibility.