1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BENQ DW1655 Issue

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Jrocc019, Jul 5, 2006.

1. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Glad to hear. maybe IBM will get the skipping problem fixed for you.

Good luck

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Jrocc019
    Check out supermedia sometime - I've been using them for almost 2 years. You may find better prices there. Shipping about a week. I usually buy when they run the free shipping specials.
    Keep us posted on the skipping issue too - I'd like to know the final outcome. It gets more complexing all the time!!

3. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Just wanted to post a quick update. IBM sent me a DVD player in place of the old one and a new IDE cable. Installed both and the player won't even play a disc..no firmware upgrade on the site either..which is great news because it's def something wrong with this machine. So, I'll be getting a tech out here to bring the problem to a close.

I had my brother in law install the 1655 in his PC. He just did a fresh windows install. Waiting for the results of that to come back.

Talk to you soon.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Let us know what happens.

Thanks

5. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

I found this while rooting around about Lite On drives. I'm going to try it when I get home. Scroll down to johnl123's reply, item number 3 listed on his post. I can't recall...did we check this already.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/278186

My brother in law ran into trouble while trying to use the 1655 but it was due to the windows wash/re-install he did. As soon as he's up and running he'll test.

My LAN guy loaned me another hard drive to swap mine with and then load a fresh install of windows on. I'm going to test that as well. Just for my info. Plus it's a learning expeirence..a free learning expeirence

The Lite On DvD player IBM sent me did work. I was playing with it and it played..it seemed to skip in the beginning but played fine. I have some more testing to do with it.

I'm going to go home and try that decoder thing. I thought all burners played dvd's too as well as burning them.

Anyway..just wanted to drop a line in.

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

jrocc019

All burners do play DVD as well as burn them. If your burner is not playing the DVD's then we need to try and troubleshoot that problem.

7. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Ok..I see what you're saying...sorry...I jumped the gun on that one. Mine is skipping..which is another problem itself. Got it.

8. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Well...I did some checking around...and found myself running into more people having power supply issues. So I decided to give it a try and I think it may have worked. May have.. I went to Comp Usa today picked up a 400 watt ATX supply and threw it in. I put the 1655 in the top bay and the new Lite On Dvd Rom drive in the bottom bay. 1655 master Litey on slave. I thought we, well you guys, nailed it and we may have. It was playing like a champion until about 4 mins in and it skipped only once. It stumbled a bit from one chapter to another in a spot it did prior. I noticed when putting it in there is a wire for the top drive that comes from the bottom of the system that plugs to the left of the jumper...the fitting isn't that great and is loose. The wires seemed to be inserted semi securely. So i swapped the drives out.. Put the 1655 on the bottom in slave and the dvd rom up top in master. (This was the configuration from the factory) The 1655 played flawlessly up until that same spot and it didn't skip at first. It almost made it pass the spot and it looked like there were some white bars at the top left side of the screen for a split second. So I let it play for a bit and no skipping what so ever. I ejected and started again and it skipped in the same spot it did when the drive was on top. But it's 200 percent better than it was. All the other spots it use to skip on it doesn't any more but it's still unacceptable and the powersource def was a part of the problem for that drive. The DVD rom played my test DvD fine with no skips or glitches. So thats where I'm at...

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

my main burner PC only has a lowly 192W PSU, though i only use a lowly graphics card and one internal burner (Benq 1650 at the moment). My other 2 optical drives are in USB2.0 enclosures though are powered via their own kettle leads and not the PSU; but yes a decent PSU is very important..

10. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Thanks for stopping by creaky. I appreciate the feed back.

IBM will be at my house on Friday. They are bringing a new power source and a board. The tech I spoke to this past Friday night said it is def some type of current problem and not flowing properly. So, they'll fix it. I will post again once the problem has been correct.

Thanks again to everyone!!

11. binkie7

hey Jrocc019
    Definitely keep us posted on Friday's tech call. This one has gotten quite deep :)

12. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Hey gang...There was some mis-communication on IBMs part and they never made it out Friday. The tech came over last night and swapped out the motherboard and power supply plus checked over the system. The problem is 98 percent fixed at this point and they are tentatively going to replace everything. He wrote down the part numbers on the RAM, graphics card, video card, and the all mighty processor. They basically said since I've been battling this for so long they're not wasting any more of my time and replacing everything. Again, thats tentatively. I'm waiting on a call today to verify the parts are ordered and set another service date to swap the rest. So, as it turns out ole Jrocc's gettinn all new organs..LOOOOOOL God bless warranty.. Thanks again everyone and I'll post again soon.

13. binkie7

Hey Jrocc019
    Good deal - getting close to brand new pc! Yep - gotta love the warranties esp. the one you have on that pc.

Just 2% away now :)

14. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Heeeeyyy Bink!!! How are ya... Yes..i'm loving the warranty. The tech just called me and he will be over Thursday evening tentatively but Friday definitley. The parts were ordered with no issues or grief from IBM...after its all said and done...new DvD-ROM drive, MOBO, IDE Cable, Processor, RAM 1g, graphics card and video card. LOL Not bad.. Oh Bink...I have a Litey on the way too. Just ordered it off of newegg...i want to try one as my DVD ROM IBM sent me is a Litey and it is really nice so far. All these warrantied parts frees up the cash to try other things out.

Talk to you soon hon

15. Jrocc019

Jrocc019 Member

Since there weren't any replies before this I apologize if this counts as a double post.

Anyway...just wanted to let you know that we can put this puppy to bed. I'm sorry to say that although I've learned a ton of input in a short time, our efforts did not solve the issue. The issue at hand lies with WinDVD player. I stumbled acrossed it last night and researched it all day and that's the problem. Apparantly WinDVD is a real pain in the butt and doesn't play nice with others. Almost like the Nero/Roxio hate relationship when stored/run on the same system. I was playing with the read speeds last night with Nero and I had almost all of the skips out of the playback in WinDVD. Then a light bulb went off and I tried a different player. Sure enough it plays perfect on Nero Showtime and Windows Media Player with not a glitch. I took my testing a bit further and downloaded a free prog called VLC Media Player and its plays perfectly. So today, instead of working LOL, I searched everywhere I could and came across a lot of good information about this issue. There really isn't much you can do in the case either from what I've seen in my research. If Win DVD doesn't like your configuration set up, you can pretty much bet on using another player. This is why the Drives from IBM worked even though they were Lite On and LG. Maybe they were coded to the software somehow I don't know. But my burns are fine from what I can see and the drive is reading pefectly using other players. I had fun though..LOOOL and got a new system thanks to warranty..plus made new friends. Can't beat that experience.

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, thanks for sharing the info. I will have to remember that for future threads.