1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ or Lite On? New burner purchase

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Rouzuki, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Rouzuki

Rouzuki Member

Edit: I think I've settled on the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106057

It's not light scribe but why would I want to use light scribe when all I've heard is it fades + it wears out your laser faster.

Benq has been recommended to me multiple times, but I can't find any reputable websites that have the BenQ DW1655 or DW1650 in stock, anyone know of one?

If I can't find a BenQ I was thinking of getting a LiteOn since I have a 2 or 3 year old LiteOn atm. My only issue with the liteon I have is that it can't handle Verbatim 16x DVD+Rs and it refuses to booktype to DVD-ROM even though the feature is provided.

I need a burner mainly for making working disc backups, I don't care what the write speed is as long as it can handle the discs and is around the 40 dollar price tag. Any LiteOn suggestions, or any suggestions at all? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  2. redice

redice Regular member

which lite-on burn do you have?

also i have 2 lite-on dvd burns and they both burn Verbatim 16x DVD+Rs with no problems on a side note benq dvd burner making part of the company was brought by lite-on which is the reason you can't find the benq dw 1650 or 1655.

3. Rouzuki

Rouzuki Member

Well, it's not that they don't burn all together, it just makes a non working backup which I should have said to begin with sorry. =(

Its the model that uses the GS0P firmware I believe it is.

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Lite-Ons seem to be the subject of a disproportionate amount of complaints. That doesn't mean they aren't good drives, but just an observation I've made. Some people swear by them though. That Litey you are looking at is a SATA, however. Do you need SATA? The Benqs are not, nor are most of the good burners on the market. Also, that Litey seems a bit on the expensive side too; you can probably do better at mwave.com or many other places.

FYI, if you do continue to hunt around for a Benq, be aware that Benq makes a DVD-ROM READER ONLY that also has the model number 1650. Some retailers, such as Zipzoomfly, apparently got them confused and were selling people readers thinking they were burners. You will have a hard time finding the actual burner anywhere but ebay.

FYI #2: Pioneers are also reportedly excellent burners. They need a hacked firmware to do bitsetting, but they give Benqs a run for their money. Something to consider here.