1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ Scam Hall of Shame

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by catfreak, Apr 14, 2006.

1. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Let's start posting scans of discs burned with BenQ burners ..

To qualify you cannot do a 'Quick Scan', the scan must be done at a speed no faster than 8x and the disc has to be burned to at least the 4250MB mark ...

[​IMG]

Disc produced with Nero Recode .. burned at 'max' (8x) with SolidBurn activated and WOPC off ...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  2. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    I wonder if your looking for quality scans per se. If not then maybe additional info such as speed & settings might be prove useful to all other users.

(off topic, I assume posting scans or anything pictorial has to done via a third party. Any recommends? Cheers)

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I use Photo Bucket .. Image Shack is good also ...

4. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    Well finally, not quite what I wanted. But at least it works.
    Thanks mord.
    Just one of my scans using 1655 written @16X using Nero. SolidBurn & WOPC enabled OverSpeed disabled. Media MCC 03RG20 (from CMC).If I write @ lower speeds QS stays @ 99% while PIE/PIF/Jitter all drop slightly. BTW the QS does drop to 98% on the odd occasion. With MCC 004 QS as low as 97%. For comparisons folks need to scan @ the same speed. Because of scanning interval 8x is good for BenQ.
    [​IMG]

5. mord

mord Regular member

i use http://imageshack.us it doesnt require registration.

And on topic...thats an awesome scan catfreak!

6. dutchmo

dutchmo Member

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

here goes....

discs burnt using Nero. SolidBurn is on and WOPC disabled/OverSpeed disabled (i think, these settings don't seem to stick so far, damn annoying, though i'm new to qsuite (v2.1) so i'll give it the benefit of doubt for now..

Verbatim TY (Yuden000T03) 16x disc burnt at 8x -
    [​IMG]

Verbatim TY (TYG02) 8x disc burnt at 8x -
    [​IMG]

8. delateur

delateur Regular member

@creaky: Since this is primarily a measure of how well the drive READS media rather that how well it writes it (although that is measured, also, in a secondhand sort of way), it would be interesting to see how well your burner scans with the latest 1655 firmware, just to see if the firmware is optimized for the drive you're using...

9. creaky

hmmm, whilst i'm never afraid to experiment, especially with firmware, i've had too many bad experiences with dvd burning ie i detest having to redo burns so i'll sit that one out this time thanks :)

10. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    Crossflashing drives in this case is no biggy. However I'd not recommend it to anyone unless they were experiencing problems & all other options have been exhausted. The 1650 & 1655 are the same internally except for the LS h/w inc the 1655.
    @delateur, if you want to see how well the 1655(latest f/w) scans see post #4.
    The reason why you have different f/w for these drive is LS related. Other than that the drives performance is similar.

11. creaky

yeah, i appreciate that/understand the differences :)

..i just want to see how the drive does with stock firmware for now..

12. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    The info in my last post wasn't particularly aimed at you creaky(more for others).
    In fact I was suggesting that you stick with what you've got.
    As far as setting in QSuite.
    WOPC disabled will only remain until system reboot.
    When setting SB or OS you'll be asked if you want temporal or system. Temporal will last till system reboot. System is written to the drive & not only stays after reboot, but will apply even if unit is placed into another pc.
    Again creaky whilst this info is for you. It's spelled out more for others than youself. I wouldn't want you to think I was talking down to you.
    Cheers

13. creaky

@zebadee - cheers, and don't worry, i appreciate the info, and no offense taken.

i had another look at qsuite, i just get very lazy, i suffer from information overload most days :O

14. delateur

delateur Regular member

@creaky: Oops, my bad! I think I got you confused with catfreak. You have an actual DW1650, while I believe catfreak crossflashed his DW1655 to a DW1650 (I did this, as well, for a short while, until I decided that because Benq does not neglect its firmware, Lightscribe drive or otherwise, I could stick with "normal" firmware). I was curious to see how the two differed, if at all. Of course, I can test this myself, but like you, I don't want to burn additional copies of things if I don't need to. Sorry for my confusion!

PS: Those scans look pretty much the same as what I'm getting with my DVD+Rs. I'm using up Sony D21s currently, which consistently scan out at 95% quality. Once I'm done with that stack of 50, I'm back in Verb/TY land. Yay!

15. storm1234

storm1234 Guest

I have noticed with my 1655, with sboff it gives a better pi, pif and % wise, but with sbon it gives better jitter on average and maximum of about 1.* % better on each. (Example with sb on) So instead of 9.4 average and 10.5 max, its 8.4 average and 9.5 max.

Which would you rather have better jitter or the others..

Storm~

16. delateur

delateur Regular member

@zebadee: Thanks for the info re: WOPC. I didn't realize that the setting was reset to enabled on reboot. I imagine that it does this because generally speaking, WOPC doesn't make the disc quality any worse. I probably won't go to the trouble of turning it off each time I reboot, as I highly doubt it's going to make much difference.

Also, that's a very nice scan on post #4. I've done a few Verbs and they're turning out very similar, with few PIEs, 99% quality. Great media!

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those sony yuden000-T02 are some very fine discs. Getting harder for me to find these,and the +16x sony do scan a lot worse. These give me the best scans. Here's one that was burned at 8x using dvd shrink and nero 6.0.0.21b oem:

[​IMG]

Edit:Sorry catfreak,this scan is under your 4.25 gb rule.

Here's a scan from the inferior dash format using my benq 1620-burned at 8x:

[​IMG]

I do have huge spiking at the 2 gb mark on majority of my media,except for Yuden000-T02. I may have to update fw.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  18. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    @
    delateur,thanks for the comments. AFAIK WOPC disabled is always a temporal setting. With BenQ before QSuite & even now Quikees WOPC Tool could/can be used for this (bitsetting too).
    @
    saugmon,I don't know if you've tried 12x with your MCC 03RG20. I find 8x a little slow when using the 1650/1655. Just take a look at my scan (MCC 03RG20) in post #4. That's @ 16x. With the 1640 depending on f/w 12x & yes sometimes (depeneding on setup) 8x is desirable. However so far with SB enabled (& once its learned the media) I've found that 16x gives more than exceptable results. Only a small if any gain is given by dropping to 12x. On the odd ocassion dropping to 8x has had a negative effect.
    BTW Because of the scanning interval, you might see better/more accurate scans @ 8x. 4x is OK for Lite-On.

19. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    Just thought I'd throw this in. I actually don't use QSuite. Unless trying to simulate/demonstrate features to someone. I use Quikee's WOPC Tool for WOPC & Bitsetting & CD/DVDSpeed for SolidBurn/OverSpeed.To add SB features to CD/DVDSpeed. You'll need ala43s patch. Simply download & put in Nero Tools Folder, then double click to enter into reg. You don't have to 'upgrade' your version of CD/DVDSpeed.
    Quikee's Tool
    http://quikee.cdfreaks.com/WOPC_Tool_1.3.0.rar
    http://home.arcor.de/ala42/EnableSolidBurn.reg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. creaky

@zebadee - i just fixed your first screenshot link there, dunno what that second one's all about though; the power LOL :)