1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq1650

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sd72667, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dvdnoobie

dvdnoobie Regular member

jhlent, if you are burning 100 sets to distribute to others, DVD+ booktyped DVD-ROM would offer higher compatibility and possibly less complaints/returns. But then again if you already have the discs, you may be better off simply replacing those that need to be booktyped.

I don't know your application, but if this is for family run with the -. If this is professional, and you are making money from your work, then booktype them.

That's my $.02, but I'm sure someone else will drop a nickel.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Does anyone know if the jumper settings are the same on the 1650 as the 1640?

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yep. The middle pins should be the slave. I just swapped out my 1640 for the 1650,then swapped out a 1620 for that 1640 in my single drive pc.

All my benqs have diagrams on the back of them. Double check yours for that diagram.

4. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I know my eyes are bad, but I didn't think they were that bad!

Your right, the diagram is stamped on the metal case. I was looking for it on the black plastic back.

Thanks sauqmon!

5. delateur

delateur Regular member

Don't feel badly, dolphin. I had a heck of a time seeing that imprint on the metal, myself. :)

6. jhlent

jhlent Member

Well I have 2 systems both using Nero 7 and they both will burn to mult. burners..
    sys 1 - DW1650 x2
    sys 2 - Dw1620 & 1640

It works great - Nero will allow up to 3 burners at 1 time

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I never tried burning 2 at a time. Now if I had dual benqs in a pc,I'd definitely give it a shot.

My other non benq drives suck a**.3 all together that don't even perform close to a benq.
    That's why I use them to read and light scribe, LOL. My main pc has the HP640c and 1650. Backup pc has a litey 167T dvd-rom drive and my original 1620. Third pc has benq 1620 and Nec 1100A,it's my dad's and he doesn't have any room for it. My little old p3 598 mhz single drive pc has the benq 1640. That p3 may be small,but it'll produce backups with the same quality as my faster pcs.Just a little slower at ripping.

Now rip and burn on the fly? No problemo from any of my 3 pcs with dual drives.

8. jhlent

jhlent Member

Man "IF" I were you I would move a few drives around...

I sure love it using 2 drives at once - it is great even if I am only burning 2 copies....

I have a project of 700 dvd to do - 100 sets of 7 disks
    and using both systems will be a breaze now...

I have a 3rd drive (1650)that will go into mine at that time and I will let you know how 3 work out

9. redice

redice Regular member

ok i just a benQ 1650 and the firmware it came with is BCFC is this the newest one or should i upgrade it?

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

That's up to date firmware, keep it. I got mine last week with same firmware at newegg.com.

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You should be ok with that firmware. There is another newer one,but I've seen a few bad posts about it. Try a few burns with it,and test out with nero speed test's disc quality scan if you have that program.

Using quality media,these benq drives perform better at 8x and above. Beware of slow 2.4x and 4x burning.

12. redice

redice Regular member

@saugmon

ok thanks

@garmoon

ok thanjs and i got mine from newegg as well.

13. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Anyone try a Dual Layer disc yet?

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've done 1 dual layer disc using my 1650. I tried ripping with dvd decrypter in Mode iso read,and then tried to burn it using IMGburn. It wouldn't even try to burn.

I tried a couple times using dvd decrypter MODE ISO write,and No dice.

I then deleted the movie,started over from scratch,used dvd decrypter ISO read and write mode only and perfect backup. I must have gotten some bad data onto my harddrive.

I've got quite a few blank verbatim +2.4x discs,but rarely use them.These are for my special movies-hint:Jenna J, Briana B!

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I've done 1 movie with the 1650 to DL+R. I haven't watched in its entirety. Just scanned through. Seems to be OK. I used Shrink to create ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter, after unchecking burn with Nero.

16. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Thanks for the info.

Like you, I have a bunch of DL discs and hardly ever use them. It's hard to pass up a real good sale. Ha, ha! At the rate that I use them, they will last about 4 or 5 years!

!

17. redice

redice Regular member

hey saugmon

you said that the benq ,s don't like slow burns like at 4 but i have some ty02's is it safe to burn those at 8 thats the max speed?

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

redice: I'll burn ty-g02 at either 4x or 8x. For my 1650,the ty-g02 scans are better with a 4x burn. Just the opposite of verbatim.

Plus,Benqs highly favor the plus format for booktyping purposes.I do have more issues with the dash format and gotta watch out for where I send them. Booktyped backups? No problem who I send them to,they'll play just about anywhere.

Those ty-G02's are shiny inkjet printable.Much cheaper than the plus format.Almost half the price! Other wise,plus format for everything else.

I have no scans for my 1650 ty-g02 backups,but here's a couple of old ones from my very awesome benq 1640:

4x

[​IMG]

8x
    [​IMG]

19. redice

redice Regular member

ok saugmon so if i burn the tyg02's 4x or 8x using the 1650 then i should be ok.(also these the + ones).

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The +8x taiyo yuden are Yuden000-T02. These burn very well at 8x. They'll even burn at 16x in my benq 1620s.

Myself: I'd go with 4x on my Ty-G02,but 8x on Yuden000-T02. I don't do a lot of dash.Looking at my 1640 ty-go2 scans,8x was a lot worse on that drive as for PIF errors.

All 4 of my benq highly favor the plus format,which booktypes my backups to dvd-rom. The few times I venture away from plus,is because of the higher cost of plus format inkjet printable media.