1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best '1 Click Encoder/Ripper' ?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by JMcQueen, May 29, 2004.

1. JMcQueen

JMcQueen Regular member

Hi,

Im looking for a ripper that will take my DVD's and convert them to a divx file with the minimum of effort. I dont mind buying (shock!) a piece of software if that what it takes.

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

DVDx -- clean and simple -- granted its not so simple for AC3 but other than that its bloody simple :)

4. siber

siber Regular member

I cannot think of a better and easier program than INTERVIDEO DVDCopy2. It is truly a '1-2 Click' operation and you get to choose between DVD files, VCD, SVCD and Divx.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Question .... in two clicks how does one specify the bitrate for a DivX/XviD rip or is it done behind the scenes?

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

never used it or heard about it, (the one that siber's talking about)

my bet it uses quality based encoding, but you still need to configure xvid/divx. could be intergrated simplified divx.....

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

AutoGK is an excellent beginners choice and there is another easy to use application called vidomi,(http://www.vidomi.com/)its freeware. There are no genuine one click solutions to making a good DiVx backup unless you are willing to accept default settings. I 've not only heard of Intervideo's DVDCopy but I own it as well. It compresses DVD's much in the same way that Shrink does, it makes VCD and SVCD copies, and also makes DiVx backups too.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  8. siber

siber Regular member

Hi, Sophocles. But what do you think of Intervideo for Divx? After all we are looking for a simple program. I rarely use Divx. With DVD media at less than $1 and Divx/MPEG4 not yet widely available in DVD players, I have very little use for it. The few times I did a back-up of a DVD to Divx ON A SINGLE CD, I was impressed with the quality Intervideo gave me. The simplicity is also great.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Siber, I haven't made a DiVx copy for a couple of years (since burners became availble} but I'll give it a try and report back later.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Just a point, my wife and I inherited a 28 foot sail boat and we had planned to go Island hopping with it. I began backing up movies in DiVx so that I could fit a good selection on a couple of large hard disks but well the trip never happened. I too find media way to inexpensive to give DiVx any further consideration.

11. siber

siber Regular member

Praetor: Intervideo allows you to copy as DVD, VCD, SVCD, Divx, M-DVD. For Divx it gives you 3 options: 'Home theater': 4MBits 720X480/576, 'Portable': 780KBits 352X240/288 and 'Handheld': 128KBits 176/144. You can also click a box 'Autofit to One Disc'. For my occasional use of Divx, that is just good enough for me. For JMcQueen who is looking for a way to 'take his DVD's and convert them to a divx file with a minimum of effort', that should be a reasonable option.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's very simple to use, in fact it takes about three clicks at default settings. Open the file, choose to save it to a CD or your hard disk, and then hit encode. The application comes with its own built in burner so that's it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  13. niamh

niamh Member

Is there really anything else than auto gordian knot out there? :D

It's certainly far superior to vidomi IMO :)

you could check out Fairuse too,it's definitely pretty simple, and it's free too

And don't think that because you pay for it, it's better: it isn't.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Simpler maybe, but better only if you are willing to get your hands dirty. Meaning yes but with a lot more work. It's true it is better than Vidomi but vidomi has the added feature of selecting file size and number of CDs. When I was doing DiVx I used the software that is now the collected and orgainzed parts of Auto Gordian Knot. There is also just Gordian Knot, which is the same stuff but for the more advanced. I haven't tried Dr, DiVx for instance because it only became available when I'd given up on Mpeg4 in favor of making direct mpeg2 DVD backups.

15. shiroh

shiroh Guest

don't you people like to tweak our video ?
    using divx, xvid for me isn't that hard, just a couple of pages of reading. combine it with avisynth, add a few filters, necessary ones, and you're good to go. :p

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Absolutely Shiorh, it's just been a long time (more than 2 years) since I've done any mepeg4 encoding. Still do a few VCDs for captured videos.

17. niamh

niamh Member

yes, shiroh, i certainly do that, but that wasn't the question ;);)

I think JMcQueen should tell us how much Quality is important to him on top of ease of use :)
    If he's blind well then drDivx sounds good, if he's deaf then vidomi is the thing :D (note:those softwares might have improved since i tried them, no offence intended)

I dont use auto GK, but i thought it did just that? correct me if i'm wrong, i think the only independent step is the actual ripping. Maybe i should have a second look to refresh my memory, it changes so fast too:)

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If I'm correct, AutoGK processes the file to fit on a single CDR. Again it s been some time since DiVx has been of any interest to me and of course software continues to advance whether I use it or not. I used Vidom a few times out of curiosity and I don't recall any audio problems. I used both the Xvid and DiVx codecs and the picure quality was no worse than any other applications that I've used. I recommend it to a lot of Newbies because it's freeware and configuarable, though I can't understand why they would want anything but a DVD backup.

19. niamh

niamh Member

straight out of the AGK tutorial

=)

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Like I said a couple of years.