1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 32" LCD Tv to get

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Laura_e, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Laura_e

Laura_e Member

Hi
    I am looking at getting a 32" Lcd Tv and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which brand to get. I was told the panasonic Lcd's were not that good. Has anyone had any experience with the Sony Lcd's. Any help on what is good or what to keep away from would be appreciated. It is always better to hear from someone who owns one that what the salesman like to tell me. Thanks in advance.

Laura

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

there's only 2 companies out there that make ALL the screens for all the LCD tv's out there (sorry can't remember which two companies). So in my limited opinion re LCD tv's it should come down to what features you can get and for what price, and disregard the fact that you obnly want a Sony (for instance). For me (who would historically only want Sony) once i was told there were only 2 companies that make the screens i eventually went for a Samsung 32" HD-ready tv (it has Freeview built-in - i'm in UK). I picked one that's got quite a few different outputs on the back, for instance i have the following hooked up to this tv - HDMI dvd player, dvd recorder (with Freeview built-in - had to buy another device with Freeview as it's impossible to record Freeview from a tv that has Freeview built-in - daft but true; but no problem as in effect i now have twin Freeview tuners, very handy), Playstation 2, Nintendo Gamegube, a second dvd player. My point here is it's worth choosing one that has a wide variety of inputs if you think you'll need that from a tv. I'm not a tv geek but i researched a little beforehand as i knew i wanted a HD-ready tv so i just read up a little on that side of things, when i got in the shop i wanted to buy from, i pretty much just compared the inputs on all the tv's they had and picked one.
    Except i went in with a budget of £500 and ended up spending twice that (though to be fair this was mainly as i didn't go in the shop for a 32", was originally after a smaller tv)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  3. Laura_e

Laura_e Member

I know about over stepping the budget!! We bought a plasma about 18 months ago and ended up getting the 50inch instead of the 42inch we originally intended.

The LCD is just the spare one so to speak and mainly to just watch TV. Each sales person I ask always have a different opinion and I end up even more confused.

Thanks for your help as I didn't know that there are only the two companies that make the screens.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

no problem; just been googling to find evidence of there being only 2 companies that make the screens, haven't found it yet but i'm pretty sure there are only 2 companies that manufacture them all..

5. sam805236

sam805236 Guest

@ Laura_e, I am in the same boat as you. When the PS3 comes out I plan to upgrade my 19" crt for a 32" LCD. I went to best buy today and stood there for a good 1/2 hour comparing specs and picture quality. I have to say, if you are on a budget the 32" Westinghouse is pound for pound the way to go @ $849. I have also been searching the web and there seems to be 2 other budget-friendly high-quality deals.
    One is the Soyo 32" : http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=6793056

The other is the Hisense: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1352301&CatId=0

personally, I am considering the Hisense with its built in HDTV tuner there is no need to get one from your cable provider, and the reviews on both seem to be all good.

@ creaky, LG is one of the manufactures of LCD screens, but I don't know the other. I found this through my researching LCD tvs.

6. aldrumz

aldrumz Member

I believe that Samsung is the other Co. in addition to LG that manufactures all of the LCD screen being used today.As a matter of fact I recently read that Samsung has become so efficient at manufacturing these screens that they are literaly overstocked with them and as a result the prices will be dropping considerable on LCD sets by the end of the year.So you might what to keep an eye out for that.

Also contrary to the last post even if you purchase a set with a built-in HDTV tuner you STILL need a box from your cable or satellite company to receive their HD programing. The built-in tuner will only receive over-the-air HD signals that are broadcast by mainly your local TV stations or any other stations that you can receive using an outdoor or indoor antenna.

7. Chevyboy2

Chevyboy2 Guest

so is there really any advantage to buyin a TV with built in HDTV tuner? I mean if you have to get one from the cable company. I only ask because the LCD im getting next month does not have a HDTV tuner.
    (i cant wait to get rid of that 19 inch tube.)

8. aldrumz

aldrumz Member

I'm not sure if there is any real advantage or disadvantage to having a built in HDTV tuner but it is a nice option.Especially if you don't plan to subscibe to HD programing from you cable co. or satellite provider right off the bat.You still can enjoy over the air HDTV broadcasts for free until you decide with direction you want to go in.Good luck with the new TV.

9. Laura_e

Laura_e Member

Just thought I would let you know that I ended up going with the 81cm Sony Bravia V series. Very happy with it! Now just have to research the best HD PVR to get.

Thanks everyone for your help/
    Laura

10. chevyguy5

chevyguy5 Member

Go with the SONY BRAVIA XBR 32 LCD. We have one and love it, go to bestbuy and have them put the regular bravia next to the XBR and you will see a world of difference. Best looking 32" LCD out there. Very sharpe picture quality and very true colors. Seriously pay a few hundred extra for it. I haven't ever played PS2 or Xbox on it but DVD and HDTV looks awesome.

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah Sony and Samsung are the best brands out there. i just got the Sony SXRD 60" this weekend and all i can say is WOW !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006