1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 70" plus HDTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jreisner, Nov 23, 2006.

1. jreisner

jreisner Member

Does anyone have a recoomendation for the best HDTV at 70" or more?

2. dakewlndn

dakewlndn Member

I was looking at the Sony SXRD XBR2 so you might wanna take a look at that.

3. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

yep buy a front projector. You can have the size anywhere from 30" to 300". I have one and its supports 1080i, I use it for xbox360 and DVD's.. I have the optoma H31 and it looks amazing. I'm super fussy about picture quality too and love this thing. I can show you pics if you want, you wont believe it (an i only use a flat white painted wall). Mine is set to 129". Simply awesome.

4. tleewade

tleewade Member

yes they call it a movie theather. ha ha

5. jreisner

jreisner Member

I read somewhere that the picture is best (unless you have a very large room) from the SxRD over a front projector.

Anyone know if that is true or if there is any real competitor to Sony's new XBR?

6. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

As far as I know, there are a few options for mainstream, >70", rear projection sets: 70" XBR2 by sony, 73" Mitsu WD-737XX, Samsung HL-R7178W, Toshiba 72HM19X, JVC HD70FN97. Of those models I would have to suggest the Sony. I have the 60" and it's great. I have seen the Mitsubishi and it also looks great. If there is a Magnolia store nearby they should have the Mitsu, Toshiba and Sony.

Edit: Fixed strangely poor grammar!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i saw the Sony SXRD 70" today looks great

I also have the Sony SXRD 60"

8. maxshafiq

maxshafiq Member

Bought the Sony 70XBR2 approx 2 weeks ago. I got the best deal from Circuit City ($4720). Mind you had to toy around with quite a few of there stores before one of the sales guys agreed to sell it to me for the price. Had it delivered the next day. Sweet. One thing folks this TV is BIG and I have a BIG living room.

Before I bought the TV I did the usual comparing/contrasting with Plasma/LCD/Rear Proj etc. In the end I went with what I liked on-screen in the store - but boy was I in for a shock. When I got it home the HD channels looked absolutely amazing. Can't wait to get blu-ray dvd and watch a movie.

I waited 3 years for the prices to become affordable. I finally think this was the time for me to buy both from price perspective as well as maturity of technology. Remember there will always be something around the corner, one has to decide when to pull the trigger. Just make sure you are happy with your purchase, the rest will not matter :)

Max

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah i saw that Sony SXRD 70" at Best Buy its a beast !!! lol.

i have a Rooftop antenna to receive my local channels in HD and the picture quality kicks ass on my Sony SXRD 60" being the signal is NOT compressed unlike with HD channels with a dish or cable.

Oh BTW ChiknLitl Best Buy gave me a 400.00 store credit being that 60" set has come down so much in the last 60 days or so ,great huh!!

10. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

$400! Nice deal!!! I see they have a new 60 day HDTV price guarantee. I also saw the prices for the 60" have crept up slightly since the holiday. The cheapest I've seen recently was $2500. That makes me feel a little better. However, even Sony dropped the price on their website to $2700. I've got to stop obsessing about this price thing!!

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2006
  12. maxshafiq

maxshafiq Member

My rule is once I bought it to never compare the price I paid with what is on the market (exception is 1st 30 days as I get the diff). But since I got such a good deal I see little chance of that happening. In fact the price was increased slightly :)

I hate to be the guy that bought the 1080i (70" Qualia) last year for $13000 and now it is on sale for $8000 approx. Question is why would I want to buy a 1080i when a 1080p is avail for half the price! Personally I do not care about the hand built stuff re Qualia. At that price I can probably afford 3 XBR2 70's :)

My nexy big hurdle is matching a surround sound to go with it. I purchased Bonton Acoustics VR2 range but returned it as I can get the B&W 600 S3 for a little more. But now I am confused as to go with floor standing ones or go with the likes of KEF theatre in a box. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Max

13. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I've heard the B&W 600 S3's paired with a Marantz receiver and they were great. He had 2 603's for L & R fronts, an LCR600 center and a pair of 601's for rear surrounds. He had a Velodyne subwoofer to go with the B$W's. Movie soundtrack and music reproduction were excellent. If I didn't have my Energy speakers I probably would have gotten these. I say go for these and pair them with a decent Marantz or Denon and you should be fine.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  14. maxshafiq

maxshafiq Member

Thanks for the feedback.

My only other consideration is wife does not like large bulky speakers sitting around the room. Hence the reason why I returned the Boston Acoustics. She only mentioned the dislike after I returned them. So now I am sitting here thinking should I go for the B&W's or go for maybe B&W satellite speakers. I know they are totally 2 extremes but any real life experience with these speakers would be appreciated.

Max

15. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

You can get 4 of the smaller B&W 601's for front and surrounds then get the smaller LCR60 for your center. The 601's are great bookshelf type speakers and they'll give you great versatility with regard to placement.

Yeah - the Wife Acceptance Factor - a very important thing to consider in this hobby.

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

maxshafiq ,Klipsch is my choice there sound is just unbeatable to me great bottom end smooth highs and mids. i have the 5.5 which are 2-10" woofers and a horn and with the sub i posted .i listen to alot of blues based rock/blues and metal its the perfect speaker for me. you could go with the bookshelves and a sub-woofer for space reasons and the sound would still be great

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2006
  17. maxshafiq

maxshafiq Member

Funny enough I own a pair of Klipsch THX speakers for my computer and they sound great. At one time I had contemplated on purchasing Klipsch but for some reason moved away to B&W. The honest truth is I am not one who will sit down and listen to music. Life is too short for me to do that sort of thing :)

My use will primarily be for Surround sound. One other thing my room has 14ft vaulted ceilings, tile on the floor (I do have a rug on top). Not sure if this room setup helps or hinders!

I will look at Klipsch again.

Regards,
    Max

18. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

As far as HTIB's go, you may want to take a look at this model.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S990THX&class=Systems&p=i
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Onkyo_HT_S990THX/4505-6740_7-31934315.html

It doesn't take up a ton of room and sounds fantasic (THX certified) with 7.1 surround. No HDMI inputs but with 3 on the 70" XBR2 you should have it covered.

19. maxshafiq

maxshafiq Member

From a price perspective these are very attractive. Would not having HDMI output interfare with the signal of the video output on HD?

20. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

There are discrete 7.1 inputs on the 990 and 790 models. Just right for HD surround from BR and HD-DVD. The lack of HDMI inputs is somewhat of a deterant. I don't know what the future of hdcable/satellite audio is. Will they broadcast 7.1 digital audio sometime in the future? My guess is yes. Will future cable/sat boxes have discrete 7.1 channel outputs? Probably not because they currently do not have separate 5.1 channel outputs.