1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best all around DVD burner?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by whoitis, Nov 30, 2004.

1. whoitis

whoitis Guest

All the tools are here, most with guides, but not too much on the latest greatest burners. I know each have their own perks but what about the average user who just wants to make a good backup of a common DVD mostly dvd layer 9. Brand names and serial or part numbers would be very helpful, maybe actual burn times etc... and the DVD+ DVD- types it supports.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

whoitis ,

That question has been asked and answered many times within the last 2 months and a little searching through the threads will provide a wealth of information. Once you have made up your own mind, a trip to the Mfgrs web site will provide you with the "serial / part numbers".

Burn times can be estimated if you'll provide us with:

Your PC's specs -
    Processor -
    RAM -
    Average resource usage while at idle -

The exact Make, Model burner to be used -

The exact DVD to be backed up -

Is this DVD a disc -

If this DVD is not a disc then what format is it in prior to rendering -

The s/w programs you are using to do the job.-

Ripping proggy -

Encoding proggy -
    with quality Enhancements -
    without quality Enhancements -

Burning proggy -
    your desired burning speed -

Finally, please state your desired method of backup - DVD DL OR DVD single.

To limit you to a single request is more than fair for someone who doesn't wish to do anything on their own.

AFA burners, How much do you wish to spend -

Will you be purchasing DL DVD discs (currently at $6.00 a disc when on sale, reg. $9.99 a disc)
    OR
    Will you be purchasing SL discs (currently at $.36 per disc when on sale for acceptable quality, reg. $.46 a disc)

The option is the one where you research threads dealing with this topic. A helpful hint, the only burner that has had reported problems so far is the HP DL burners.

Your welcome -

"P"

3. whoitis

whoitis Guest

Well I guess after some more thought speed is not as important as reliability and quality and since it seems you can burn both DL and SL disks on a dual layer burner. I can help clarify at least this but what about couontry codes type stuff quality of the burn as far as in comparison to the original DVD being copied and something in a medium price range lets say no mare than 300.00 and external would be ideal. Trying to find a burner with the most range of burnability I should say with different types of burning types DVD-r etc...

hope this narrows the search
    I just dont want to end up with something that works with one type of disk or dvd player or crappy quality

thanks
    B

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Pioneer OR Plextor should do fine -