1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best anitvirus

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by popol24, Sep 11, 2006.

1. rav009

rav009 Active member

I dont think your talking about the NOD32 I use......

AVG free or Avast are enough for anyone, if they aren't I'd like to know why.

If you really, really need to pay, grab Kaspersky or NOD32 :)

Consult the thread here for great free alternatives:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257

I hope your qeustion is answered popol24 :-D

2. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

oops....sorry guys, wont happen again..sorry. and yea, i quite like AVG. its nice, small install file perfect. user friendly...its awesome, and norton just bogs down your computer. so the obvious choice is

[bold]AVG[/bold]FREE :p
    the far more superior.

3. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

I use PC cillen 2006 & never had any problems with it since my Norton expired although Norton was too heavy for the PC but PC Cillen is smooth & easy.

4. popol24

popol24 Member

thanks guys! i'll get the free AVG, dump the Norton suite and be happy. by the way, is the whole package of AVG any good? and will that include the firewall and spyware stuff? or is it better to get separate antivirus, spyware and firewall? thanks again!

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

It's better to get separate AV, anti-spyware, and firewall. That's why I listed each type of product separately above. Unfortunately, there is no one, good, "do-all" suite.

7. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

Hello everyone I was checking out the thread and my questions is,what about McAfee? is there anything wrong with it,I use to have Norton but it did use up to much ram and I swithed to McAfee

8. popol24

popol24 Member

hi guys, i'm finally convinced and i'm just going to get the stuff separately, and they are:

free AVG AV
    spybot (someone tell me if ad aware SE is better?)
    zone alarm firewall

i'll see if all these work beautifully together. thanks everyone!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  9. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Include Ewido Anti-spyware in that and you'll have a good setup. Don't have to purchase it unless you prefer to. After the trial you won't have automatic protection and automatic update, but you can update manually and scan about once a week. Hell, not 10 minutes ago I found I had a trojan when scanning Ewido. :)

By the way, go with Spybot.

10. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Go with Ad-Aware too. Again, Comodo is the beter firewall though ZA isn't bad. I also prefer the less-well-known stuff, as long as it's as good or better, because hackers usually set their sights only on the popular products.

11. ddp

12. popol24

popol24 Member

hey dunker, could you post the link for the comodo firewall? i've googled it but i'm not sure if it's the right one, and i don't want to install something that's stuff me pc up. thanks!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  13. squijello

squijello Regular member

i used to like Kaspersky but their recent revision has lost sight of their straightforward anti-virus approach and now has many unnecessary aspects... I have tried AVG and didnt have a problem with it, but i really like Avast! Home Edition, it seems to have a pretty good detection rate, and this may just be my imagination, but it seems to scan faster than AVG... it also has the virus recovery console which allows virused files to be replaced with thier originals, im not sure if AVG free has such a system, if someone knows post!!

14. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Here you go.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Just enter a fake name if you don't want to use your real one. FWIW, most reputable software products are also available at Majorgeeks.com.

15. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Avast! does scan faster, but unless things have changed in the last six months (the last time I used it), it has a markedly inferior detection engine to Avira and maybe AVG. However, it is probably the fastest of all the major "free" products. I use Avira which is excellent though it randomly pops up a full screen when it updates, which is really irritating to some people.

16. squijello

squijello Regular member

what about that virus recovery console thing... as far as detection, they claim 100% for viruses in the wild... also... avast! seems to look nicer, without skins, the skins are terrible...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  17. popol24

popol24 Member

A big thank you to everyone who contributed! everything has just been installed, (and Norton thrown away, thank goodness) and it seems that the pc is much much faster now! again, thank you and hopefully, there won't be any problems

18. wasted05

wasted05 Guest

aww thats it i was having fun in this formu i learned a lot...lol

popol24 + question + afterdawn= :)

19. ddp

teach & learn

20. squijello

squijello Regular member

for the record i want to say avast! outperforms AVG... i was running AVG on one computer and avast! on the other... the computer with AVG got a virus which it attempted to infect over the network on my avast! protected computer and it just didn't happen... i needed to format the AVG computer and now its running avast!