1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AV program for me???

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Toby3, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Toby3

Toby3 Member

At the moment I have Norton Anti-virus 2005, thats all. I am looking at either Kaspersky or BitDefender? $$$wise Bitdefender is cheaper. I want a really good AV that wont hog the system. Why would I have to also install something like Zone Alarm as well? My router has a firewall. I have had a look at reviews and now Im just confused!!! What would you P2P users recommend?

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You'll be well protected by either AV. I ran KAV for a year and BD for the last year and a half and like them both. Both run light on my system, unlike Norton (there's a hog), with BD edging out KAV but only slightly and neither has ever caused any problem with any P2P program. BD does reboot your system after downloading major updates but that only seems to occur every few months. They should fix that, though, maybe they have in v10. I did run ZA for awhile but, also, don't see the need for any firewall with a router installed. I do use the Window's firewall with no problems, mainly to shutup the Security Centre alerts in XP's SP2. Anyway, trial them both and see which you prefer with the added benefit of 60 days free protection. Not much help, I guess, but I'd recommend BD just because it's cheaper and I've used it for so long with never a problem.

3. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd say neither, get AVG *you can use the free version, works just as well as the payed one*, or if you feel the need, get kaspersky, but stay away from bitdefender, it scores pretty low in anti virus tests on mot major software testing sites.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Not to get into a "mine is best" AV war but both Avast and AntiVir beat AVG for free AV's. AVG is good but nowhere near as good as most paid AV's (or free ones) unless things have changed recently. KAV is the top AV but I would say BD is a close second and gaining fast. Probably, the lightest paid AV that, depending on who you talk to rivals KAV, is Nod 32. It is good out of the box but has many more settings to tweak. Guide here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509 Check out the Virus Bulletin Awards as most other tests seem to be slanted towards Norton and who knows what else.

5. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hi,

I use Kaspersky Anti Virus, I have also installed NOD32 on a few of my other machines.

I think the second link in my sig is just what you need to have a look at, I reccomend AVG free or Avast.

Good luck :)

6. Toby3

Toby3 Member

Rav009, why do you use Kaspersky but recommend AVG or Avast? Because its free?? Im happy to pay, I think I have made up my mind Kaspersky. The only thing Im dreading is uninstalling Norton and resetting Kaspersky to allow Azureus. I know how to uninstall programs but how do I COMPLETELY get rid of Norton? Rav009, do you use Kaspersky Anti-virus or Kaspersky Internet Security?

7. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

The KIS sweet is phatty if you need it, which you probably don't. IMO, Kaspersky is head and shoulders above all other AV software.

Good luck getting rid of Norton, lol. It's a lot better than it used to be, but it's still a paaaaaaaain.

8. Toby3

Toby3 Member

I have found instructions on completely removing Norton, scrap that question.

9. Toby3

Toby3 Member

Forgot to ask, since I am installing KasInternetSecurity which has AV, Anti-spam, firewall, Antispyware etc, can I uninstall SpybotS&D, Adaware etc? In other words is Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 all I will need (other than PeerGuardian which I am definately keeping)?????

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd keep spybot and Ad aware.

11. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hi,

I reccomend AVG free because, for free theres no better, and if you don't mind paying for it, its still great too :)

If you want to fully remove Norton, you need a special tool, there are a few good "Norton Zappers" out there, here are some good instructions on how to go about doing that:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer.

This procedure requires that you use Internet Explorer. If you have this page open in any other Web browser, please start Internet Explorer and open this page in it.

And finally, I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0, Its pretty damm good, but experiment for yourself yo find your perfect AV partner, if you don't mind paying for it, Kaspersky, NOD32, AVG, McAfee, Panda and Trend Micro are the way to go.

Please check this out:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257

Cheers.

-Rav

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  12. Toby3

Toby3 Member

13. Toby3

Toby3 Member

Im having a bit of a cleanup of my computer before uninstalling Norton and installing Kaspersky. In my Add/Remove programs I have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6(145MB), Update 8(145MB) and Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_05 (108MB). Do I need to keep all these? If there is somewhere else I should be asking can you please direct me?

14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Yes, you need those.
    Try downloading and running CCleaner to clean out unneeded cr@p.

15. Toby3

Toby3 Member

All done!!! I completely uninstalled Norton using the Add/Remove programs. I then searched for anything with the word Norton, Symantec or Live in it and deleted all things that I KNEW were related to the Antivirus. I then installed Kaspersky, looks easy peasy so far!! Azureus is still working perfectly!! As mentioned previously I do have a firewall in the router, at the moment I have the firewall on KIS disabled, but intrusion detection system running. Can you give me a hand making sure my ports are all configured correctly in KIS, in regards to Azureus??

16. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Green lights = configured correctly.

EZ PZ.

Good job, btw.

~Melee

17. Toby3

Toby3 Member

Thanks Melee, now I have a totally unrelated problem. When I do a search in Windows Explorer I get an error message "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down". I have done a search and someone said to download RegCure to figure out the reason for the error, I did that and it Regcure has found 1778 problems~!!!!!!! That cant be true!!! I have Az running at the same time as the explorer could that be it (draining all the energy)??. The error is:

Error signature
    AppName:explorer.exe
    AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
    ModName:msvcr71.dll
    ModVer:7.10.3052.4
    Offset: 00010582

Any ideas????

18. Toby3

Toby3 Member

19. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Glad to hear it m8.

The registry thing is because of sloppy coding in MS apps, very, very few programs excuse themselves from the registry upon uninstall or update. I mean VERY few, including windows, windows components, MS applications (office), and the major market companies like norton, symantec, adobe, etc, none of them are clean.

20. Toby3

Toby3 Member

Tomelee, I actually have the firewall disabled in KIS thats probably why I have greenies!! My router is the only firewall running at the moment. Are there instructions anywhere that can tell me how to specifically set up KIS to allow Azureus and open ports?