1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best avi-mpeg encoder.....

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cr4zyt, Oct 15, 2002.

1. cr4zyt

cr4zyt Member

Im looking for tha best avi-mpeg encoder to use .. i have one that works .. but im trying to find people'z opinion'z on what would be tha best on to use ...

2. TapsaL

TapsaL Member

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

TMPGEnc Plus!!

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Dela. I also like CCE.

5. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

CCE in conjunction with DVD2SVCD is the best for multi-pass VBR, both for speed and quality.. though I admit I use TMPGenc more often, because sometimes you just want to watch the movie once.. but for those movies that you want to have the best quality, let's say your favorite movie of all time, it's worth the extra hours spent encoding with DVD2SVCD & CCE.. I have movies I created with this combination that look very close to DVD quality when played back on my DVD player and my TV!

6. Dela

VCDjunkie, with TMPGEnc Plus, I get very close to dvd quality!!

7. Dela

BTW i noticed you finally got the Senior Member status and i must say its about time they gave it to you!!!

8. VCDjunkie

Thanks Dela!! I will have to get TPMGenc plus one day when I have money.. seems worth the money spent.

9. Dela

Its not much of a difference from the normal TMPGEnc to look at but the quality difference is excellent + there is no 30 day restriction on Mpeg-2 Encoding!

10. VCDjunkie

UPDATE: I recently upgraded to TMPGenc in order to test it's functionality vs. DVD2SVCD with CCE SP 2.5.

TMPGenc quality is not as good, can see the pixelation of the video, whereas with DVD2SVCD & CCE, there is none.

Also, TMPGenc took 12 hours from start to finish for SVCD. The exact same conversion from AVI to SVCD took 5 hours with DVD2SVCD & CCE.

I must say that there is really no comparison when it comes to SVCD, either from DVD or AVI, use DVD2SVCD with CCE SP version 2.5 (newer versions can have problems)

EDIT: TMPGenc was done using 2 pass VBR, and DVD2SVCD & CCE was done with 4 pass VBR.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2002
  11. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I agree with VCDJunkie. I just recently encoded a DVD trailer to SVCD with TMPGEnc 2-pass and CCE 4-pass. CCE was around 40% faster and provided significantly better picture quality. In fast movement scenes the TMPGEnc picture shattered into ugly macroblocks, while CCE was able to handle it quite well.

12. Dela

I can't see the pixelation of my movie with TMPGEnc and it only takes 5 hrs for 2 pass encoding

I must be damn lucky!!