1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best brand of CD-R's

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by nmace85, Jul 27, 2002.

1. jase

jase Guest

There are alternatives to Princo:

Postech
    the old 12x Gigastorage
    Vivastar

Problem is *none* of these are commonly available anymore :( Vivastar were bought out by another firm and now badge other companies' media, Postech and Princo are prohibited from selling their discs (btw it was not because of the dye type, simply because they didn't pay the fees!) and Gigastorage have moved to a different, less compatible dye.

2. aiwachica

aiwachica Member

I think the K hyper media ones are awesome!!! they actually burn better and are more tolerant to heat and are less prone to errors than memorex..... i love these cd-r's!!! thier the pro standard ones... not consumer....

3. aiwachica

aiwachica Member

4. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

It's amazing how cheaply some discs are being sold. I can't imagine selling a 24-pack for a paltry $4.50 can amount to anything more than a (rather expensive) way for the company to advertise it's products. Unbelievable.

I bet the postage costs more than the discs. <gg>

-- K.A. --

5. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

You guys make me sick, discs for that kind of money??? You should come and live in England (in view of recent weather perhaps not) and buy some discs here. That kind of price is impossible, we have to pay twice as much!

P.

6. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

From speaking with visitors and travellers to/from Britain/England....

They all tell me that almost everything is twice as much compared to the United States.

I live in Canada so it's not as bad for me.

7. aiwachica

aiwachica Member

yeah I heard that with some things... but are stereos that expensive??? hope thier not.... and import audio cd's are really expensive... I saw an import backstreet boys cd that had only 3 songs on it for 11.99!!!!! that was rediculous!!!

8. EdT

EdT Member

You can scoop up genuine Princo 2X-24X 80mins white label Budgets in Canada at any Zellers stores for $14.95/25, they are the most expensive place to get them, but Zellers store are everwhere. I get them at www.microbytes.com for $9.95cdn/25, that can't be beat ! I have the same problem as other peeps here, my 3 year old Sony will only play on Princo disk, LoL guess its like some sort of drug addicition for my Sony !

9. A_Klingon

THANK YOU EdT !!!

This is the b-e-s-t news I've heard all week!

My friends' player is also a Sony model (about a year+1/2 old, which gags on anything I've tried but Princos.

Sony has finally redeemed itself though -- all their new players (AFAIK) easily handle cdrs/cdrws now, including the DVP-NS315 I just bought. It says so with a front-panel stick-on announcement, right in the store. (And they weren't fibbing either).

I live in Canada, and Zeller's is a national Canadian chain, so I will check out these "Budget" discs T-O-D-A-Y. (Is that the name I should look for, 'Budget' ?)

Much, *much* obliged !

-- KlingonAgent --

10. EdT

EdT Member

I live in Canada, and Zeller's is a national Canadian chain, so I will check out these "Budget" discs T-O-D-A-Y. (Is that the name I should look for, 'Budget' ?)

It says "Princo" on the spindle label and "Princo Budget" on the disk label itself.

Its just amazing that have never had a coaster burning with these. I had 5 coaster(yikes 10% !) out of my spindle of Maxwell(Ritek)650mb Gold that costed me twice as much as the Princo.

11. A_Klingon

Oh poo.....

I just called Zellers - the only 25-spindle packs they have here in Nova Scotia are branded Maxell discs for $23.45, but you can use some mail-in rebate thingee or something. (I really don't care how much/little they cost). The lady said she hadn't heard of this 'Budget' label. She mentioned they have a Zeller's house brand ("Truly") which may or may not work. (probably not).

Oh well, I'll check out microbytes then, but I'm not really much one for mail-order orders.

-- K.A. --

12. A_Klingon

Wow! (You're online right @ this very second - just read your post - I see I will have to do more Zeller's research -- I'll go to the store itself - she didn't mention the 'Princo' name on the discs themselves, even though I explained to her I WAS looking for Princo.

(I'll visit the store within the hour just to see what's what).

Thanks Edt!

-- Mike, a Princo-depraved Klingon --

13. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

You guys are still making me sick. These discs should be cheaper here in Britland, about two fold, but you folks are moaning about a few Canadian Dollars!

:)

Just Kidding.

Paul.

PS I just wish I was as lucky as you. Britland sucks and is expensive.

14. A_Klingon

Yes, but loaded - do you have to pay a "value added tax" or something? -- We pay something called "HST" (harmonized sales tax) It *used* to be called BST ("blended sales tax"), a combination of provincial plus federal sales taxes, which shortly after it's forced introduction, was much more honestly named by the general populace of Canada for what it really was, the "Bulls--t Tax") -- hence the need to have it politically renamed to HST.

HST is currently 15 farking percent.

(Fascinated, aren't ya? -- I can tell) - Well, our dollar is worth something close to only *half* of the US dollar, so add to that, shipping charges, customs, duty, import charges, paperwork, and some other neat stuff that only Federal Express could have invented, and you can see perhaps why few Canadians buy much of anything from the States these days.

Fact is, the feds have made in impractical for us to buy anything that doesn't originate any farther away than our local retail stores.

-- K.A. --

15. EdT

EdT Member

I just called Zellers - the only 25-spindle packs they have here in Nova Scotia are branded Maxell discs for $23.45, but you can use some mail-in rebate thingee or something. (I really don't care how much/little they cost). The lady said she hadn't heard of this 'Budget' label. She mentioned they have a Zeller's house brand ("Truly") which may or may not work. (probably not).

They should have the Princo at Zellers, the Truly brand(Zeller's own brand) actually cost more at $19.95/25 here in Montreal !

16. A_Klingon

Bumma, bumma......

Visited two Zellers stores earlier today, including a local "Mega" Zeller store - right alongside Walmarts & Future Shop.

At Zellers, no Princos - just Maxells, Memorex's, the "Truly" brand, and some obscure thingees branded 'ATI'.

But not a Princo in sight. (It's nothing to *me* personally, because my new Sony will play anything), but my buddy is S.O.L. with his older Sony.

I told him to get a new (cheap) single-disc Sony machine, and then Princo can "byte" me. (har-har) - But no, I can't complain -- the Princos were great while they lasted, and NO, of *course* I never saw his eyes light up when I (didn't) plop a new rented/ripped/squished vcd into his mailbox. No way, not me. He never never smiled either when I (didn't) give him a movie or two, because you see, copying copyrighted Hollywood blockbuster movies is an evil sin, illegal, and just plain morally wrong, and of *course* I would never do something awful like that, actually *preferring*, as I do, to spend $30.00 or so for a dvd rather than $2.99 for a rental to burn on two 80c blanks.

I really think those mandatory FBI/Interpol warnings are *way* cool! And doncha just *love* wading through 2 or 3 menus to see all that wonderful 'extra' cra.....er....'bonus' stuff? You know, that extra, groovy 'stuff' they stick in there in an attempt to justify the jacked-up price?

Did you know, not counting mastering costs, it costs the Hollywood biggies only *one-fifth* as much to stamp out a dvd as it does to run off a vhs cassette in real time?

So, thankfully now, since I can't seem to find any Princos locally, my friend *too* can now spend $30.00+ a-pop-just like me.

Wheeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Klingy --

17. EdT

EdT Member

Tell him to get an APEX A500 DVD player, these machinces are amazing at $119cdn at your local Wlamart or Future Shop when they are special. They play anything !

18. A_Klingon

They sure do, and there's a huge pile of them stacked up in a floor display at the local Walmart, not 5 blocks from where I live. And I think they're going for $108.00 too!

Also, this little ditty is perfectly hackable. (Flash-memory firmware upgradeable/hackable, or whatever they call it). Can easily have the macrovision and region codes knocked out via a new enhanced menu. And yes, they'll play anything I think.

I'll have to get after him......

- K.A. -

19. EdT

EdT Member

Also, this little ditty is perfectly hackable. (Flash-memory firmware upgradeable/hackable, or whatever they call it). Can easily have the macrovision and region codes knocked out via a new enhanced menu. And yes, they'll play anything I think.

Yup, they have whole website deicated to the Apex 500 for the region code hacks.

"Build It ...and they will buy it !"

Forgot who said that ?, Mr. Zippo I think

20. aleks2cv

aleks2cv Guest

Today bought a 50 spindle of Swiss made VIVASTAR 24X CD-Rs. $34 in London with BS tax. They are becoming hard to find, only 1 store had 2 left. You can also find them mail order especially from Germany for some reason.
    Apparently play in all DVD players, recommended for LG.