1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy 32" LCD TV with Intergrated Freeview?!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by allyfd, Oct 2, 2006.

1. allyfd

allyfd Guest

I am torn between 2 models:

The Panasonic 32" TX32LXD60 Freeview HD Ready Widescreen LCD TV with table top stand.

& The Toshiba 32" 32WLT66 Freeview HD Ready LCD TV.

According to Which Magazine Panasonic is the superior TV (in terms of Picture quality etc...) However the Toschiba is undeniably better looking and I have never had any problems with any Toschiba merchandise I have bought in the past.

I would like to be able 2 use my (Toschiba) laptop through the TV too.......would it be an advantage to have a Toschiba LCD to compliment my Laptop!?

Some of the Freeview feautures advertised with the Toschiba looked pretty impressive (such as the internet style scroll back feature) however when it came to the Panasonic's advertised Freeview feautures they didn't give any details. Is this because there aren't any!? Do they both had full EPG!?

I read in another thread a guy said that you cannot record Freeview Channels on to a DVD recorder from an intergrated Freeview TV....is this true & if so why is this?!

If any of you have either of these 2 models feedback would be most appreciated. Or even if you have any additional information or advice I would also be very grateful to hear it.

peace.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
  2. byngo

byngo Regular member

Hi there,
    I too have been pondering both these models.
    I agree the Toshiba looks better and in the latest "what hi-fi sound and vision" mag the Toshiba got all five stars but the Panny had three or four i think.
    I have seen both in action although the source you are seeing in a retailer is somentimes hard to go by. I saw the panny and it looked a great picture on what was definately freeview in costco although perhaps a little colourless. Cant confirm what i was watching on the Toshiba but that looked good too).
    From what i've read the Toshiba has a pc input. The panny does not (but all is not lost to find a conversion)
    You cannot record freeview from any integrated TV unless it has an internal HDD (PVR)because there is no output to send to a recorder. Sounds quite obvious really.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

that's true about the integrated Freeview, must admit i overlooked that (doh!) when i bought my Samsung LCD. It was however a good excuse to buy a DVD recorder with Freeview built-in and i therefore have dual tuners which works great because i can obviously watch one channel whilst recording another; this saved me buying an LCD without Freeview but needing to buy a Dual Tuner DVD Recorder

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  4. byngo

byngo Regular member

I have another question,

If I connect a DVD recorder to LCD with just a HDMI lead am I losing out on anything else (perhaps like communications between the two like easy link and stuff) Mind you, i dont think I'm bothered if thats all.

5. allyfd

allyfd Guest

I finally got the Samsung 32" LE32R74BDX/XEU Freeview HD Ready LCD (the same as Creaky I believe!) toady. I got it at a very good price because the supplier I had ordered it from messed up really badly on my previous order of a Hitachi LCD (they sent a broken 1 & then had no more stock 2 exchange coz it was end of line) so I got it for 680! :)

I have a few follow on questions tho (for Creaky or any1 else in the know for that matter!).

1. (I already own a Sony STB) do I now need 2 purchase another aerial in order 2 watch TV on this TV or can I run 2 off my existing external aerial coaxial? Also what kind of aerial would you recommend (an internal digital 1)?

2. Also, is there any way of cordlessly setting up my Toshiba (Equium) to this LCD (wireless)?

many thanx in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm just using a normal small aerial at the moment (on top of wardrobe), haven't got around to putting a loft or roof aerial up yet

7. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

The same old one should work; you’ll just have to compensate for signal loss on the split but, the digital signal's so strong that many find an internal aerial works just great.

8. byngo

byngo Regular member

Well, How wrong can you be!!
    I still havent bought an LCD yet but discovered in the TOSHIBA 32WLT66 Manual that by using a special standby feature it will allow you to record digital freeview to a recorder via SCART.
    Perhaps thats usefull if you are going to be out I suppose. Not much use if you wanted to record one channel and watch another. (Even anaolgue).

9. 3shirts

3shirts Member

You know there is the 32WL66 (without the T) which is the exact same telly but without freeview built in. It's nearly £100 cheaper too so if you plan to have some other freeview source anyway, you can make a good saving. I am using a dual tuner media center pc so I am going for that.