1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy Geek Squad Orientation

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by prncess21, Jun 28, 2007.

1. prncess21

prncess21 Member

Hello. I was wondering what i can expect from my Best Buy Geek squad orientation? I recently was hired and passed the criminal background check and drug test and now i am scheduled for orientation before i actually start my job. I will be working at the Geek Squad in store precinct.

Thanks.

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Well I don't work with Geek Squad, though I was offered a job and for kicks sat through the interview. I was asked many of the same questions found on the A+ Certification exam. Simple stuff, mostly regarding things like Drivers, TCP/IP, BIOS junk, ect...

Really if you're any good with computers, you can get the job; and what you don't know, they'll teach you. I've got a buddy of mine who is hoping to get in with their team here in about a month, he's knowledgable, and a quick learner, so I'm sure they'll hire him, but all the same there is a lot he doesn't know. (I'd hire him, but I don't hire friends, because I don't want to ruin a good friendship)

Just basically be prepared for computer skill trivia. Once hired, like with all jobs, you'll a get a brief run down of the people skills they expect their employees to have, and after that come the tech training. I personally don't preffer the geeksquad (try not to hold that against me), but then again I'm a different company, lol.

3. prncess21

prncess21 Member

no....i was already offered the Geek Squad job. the manager of geek squad already asked me a few questions and said that i knew my stuff. what i am asking is what am i going to do at orientation? They told me it was going to be 3-4 hours long...like...are they going to test me or something?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  4. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Well I don't work their I would assume it would just be concerning policies that Best Buy has about what to do with people's computers they bring in etc. Also, they will probably have you get oriented with the store so you point people around the store, and other things like that. Even if you are not on the floor, if you are walking around for some reason someone may have questions they just want you to be prepared to answer them.

Peace

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3-4hrs is short time compared to when i was doing orientation at celestica which was about 40hrs(5days@8hrs/day). the orientation was about the company, company policies, training & team work scenarios.

6. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

prncess21 is this your first job you have ever had? if not you should know what orientation is, every job that you go to you will have to go through some type of orientation, telling you the do,s and don'ts of the job. good luck you are going to need it!

7. prncess21

prncess21 Member

yes...it is my first job.

and what did you mean by, "good luck. you're going to need it?"

8. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I am guessing he is refering to dealing with irate customers. I have seen quite a few people screaming at those geeks.

9. c1c

c1c Regular member

I heard that if you give them your computer to fix, and they find you have any form of piracy, that they would report you to the proper authorities. Also I think they drug test you too.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Simple solution - obey the law.

Another thing.. If you're not PC literate enough to either..

a) cover your tracks after downloading/storing/[whatevering] pirated material

or..

b) fix your PC yourself

..then you shouldn't be going round downloading pirated materials as far as I'm concerned.

**Yup, I just completely rained on your parade!**

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- here you go - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/531461