1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST BUY Insurance Plan

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ko4gunc, Mar 29, 2005.

1. ko4gunc

ko4gunc Member

Recently I purchased a DVD player from Best Buy. When there was a problem with the screen, they denied my claim. They said that I had somehow impacted the screen causing it to crack. Oddly enough, the store manager said that it looked new, had I used it.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Customer Service Inquires
    Best Buy
    PO Box 949
    Minneapolis, MN 55440

Dear Sirs,

I am writing because I am unhappy with both the service and policy of your company.

Best Buy is a company that has a wonderful selection and good pricing. It is also conveniently located to my office. However I have recently been done a disservice as I shall explain:
    On or about 1/29/2005, I purchased a Samsung 10 inch DVD player. It was not stocked in the University Store, so I had to drive 25 miles to get it in Gastonia. I have used it less than 20 times. My purpose in purchasing it is to take to my ballroom dance lessons each week. (For the past 3 months, I have been involved in a video capture project that I have recently completed. This allows me to take my study DVDs to class and play them.)
    When I went to purchase-checkout on 1/29/2005, your store representative suggested that I buy the insurance plan saying that if anything went wrong, I would get a replacement, a repair, or the value toward a replacement. I understood this and paid the premium.
    A few weeks ago, I discovered a crack on the screen. When I returned the unit to Best Buy University, they said there was an impact and to take it to Gastonia where I bought it; in fact they gave me the name of the store manager. When I presented in Gastonia, the store manager was courteous, and said that they should have handled it in University, but said that he would be happy to make it right. Well we sent it off. Now the store manager has had a change of heart since the unit was returned from service. In fact I learned something new – that my unit had had a severe impact that caused the crack in the screen. I find that quite interesting in that:
    1/ it has been in my possession at all times.
    2/ I have never dropped it.

3/ It has been stored in my leather bag in the trunk of the car since purchased.
    The Geek at University said that temperature changes could cause a screen to crack, but the service center did not give me the benefit of the doubt- said that there had been an impact. Even the store manager in Gastonia noticed that I had not even removed the plastic from the screen. It looked so new to him that he asked if I had ever used it. Please note the notes of appearance when the unit was submitted to service.
    I am unhappy with your company because:
    1/ you push purchase of insurance plans at the register.
    2/ the plans have exceptions that are NOT disclosed at time of purchase but at time of claim.
    3/that your store manager in University gave me no other choice than to go to the Gastonia store for service.
    4/ the you seem to underwrite your insurance issues at time of claim, and not at inception.
    5/ That your store representatives told me that “CRACKS IN SCREEN” are an exclusion in the contract, that I must deal with Samsung directly and gave me the broken player, and the box back, said call Samsung, and offered to give me a refund of premium from insurance plan.
    Yesterday I called Samsung. They said that a crack like mine could only be caused by a heavy blow and that if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay $300 flat fee for “out of warranty service”.

I am kindly asking that you resolve this matter in a reasonable fashion.

Sincerely,

Timothy Moore Creech, CFS, BCM, BCI

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

thats were they make their money. keep us posted in this thread on the results

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  3. LiNx88

LiNx88 Member

Ouch. Stupid best buy people.

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

When ever your offered such a plan from anywhere RUN AWAY. If any deal on anything is "Buy now or this offer is gone" then your about to get raped by the con man. I know it sucks and you will not win. Those warranties are so vauge they can find a legal way not to honor them. Even better is when they will cover the labor but you buy the parts. Best Buy sucks anyway. If you happen to live in the ATL area I will even tell you where their corprate offices are.

-Del