1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Case Fan (this should be fun)

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by k7vc, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Even there aftermarket fans suck.

The only thing I need to decide now is weather to put the SFF21E or the SFF21F in my case. Im using the 21F on the CPU Cooler but 21Es are cheaper.

2. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

From what I've been reading elsewhere, put in the 21F. If they turn out to be too noisy, replace them with the 21Es. Otherwise, leave them in. NewEgg is offering them with free shipping.

Dick

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's because they're the same as their stock fans :p

4. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Well the aftermarkets pump out alot more air but there alot more noiser to!

5. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

The fan in a ps2 pumps out almost as much air as a stock thermaltake fan!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and I prefer the noise a PS2 fan makes :)
    To be fair, getting a bit technical, it all has to do with not just the fan itself, but where it is mounted. If you've ever owned an Xbox 360, or heard one, it has a relatively unique horrible plastic resonance sound from the fans (we'll ignore the noisy DVD drive). The fans by themselves aren't great but if you were to hold them in your hand while they were spinning at the exact same speed they'd make less than a quarter of the noise - the fan isn't producing that racket, it's the vibration from the fan moving through the enclosure the fan's screwed into. My PC does the exact same thing, in the HAF case, the side panel is made from a pretty cheap material, which means case fans mounted to it produce the same vibration. The top panel, however, since it forms part of the whole rest of the case, produces almost no vibrations at all, making the exact same fans sound half as noisy.

7. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I use soft rubber fan mounts on my side case fans. They seem to eliminate just about all case vibration in my CM-690.

Dick

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They can do, but it all depends on the strength and acoustics of the vibration concerned. Some noises those mounts eliminate almost entirely, whereas for others they're near-useless. Sadly that's one of those things you'll never know unless you test.

9. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Very true, but fortunately they are pretty cheap. These are the ones I've used in the past and they did a decent job of quieting down the fans on my rather vibration-prone side panels, but I've found they are not really re-usable as they tend to stretch out of shape when you remove them--especially after trimming off the pigtails.

I tried using some of the short fasteners, but I wasn't happy with how securely they held the fans in place. Also, while they might appear easy to mount, they can all be a challenge in tight quarters.

Dick

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've got a load of them, they're alright, but don't tend to quiet many of my fans down very much.

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

12. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Good news, bad news.

Good news: It looks like Sharkoon has come to California! I just received this update from their distributor:

Dear Dick,
    You can purchase the fans here....
    http://www.acomdata.com/app/stx.products.asp?cid=25
    Eunice Huang
    909-786-4288 x122

It looks like their fans come in four speeds plus PWM. $20 for 120mm, $17 for 80mm.

Bad news: It appears Acomdata only ships within the USA.

Dick

13. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Sweet...I'll have to order a couple of them to see if they have gotten past their bearing problems. It isn't often I am happy to live in the USA, but I guess there are some perks.